• Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    Easy with the D&G bashing...
    totally forgot!!!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      We've discussed this several times. There is no right answer. It depends how you look at it. For me it boiled down to something like, "I don't give a shit if Dolce and Gabbana make a perfectly beautiful leather jacket tomorrow, I still won't buy it because of what they stand for." Same story with fake HL. If anything, I see it as a positive thing - narrows down my range of options! I actually like the fact that I have a focused view on fashion when it comes to dressing myself (not when it comes to thinking about fashion as a whole, where my scope is much wider, and I wish that many other people on the forums would share this sentiment - it would make it a more interesting place).
      Excuse my interruption into this topic if you guys have already discussed this so much but it seems really interesting. If there's a link to past discussions I'd be glad to read it.

But with what Faust said, doesn't this also narrow your point of view in general with clothes? I figured the number one thing about fashion was getting something that looks, feels and IS good. So if D&G created something that WAS good, is it so bad to like it?

Maybe zamb would kill me for writing something like this but, isn't it like taking something good from religions that you don't follow? Christianity might have some really good point of views that I like and follow, but I wouldn't wholly follow and represent the entire religion? In my point of view it's just taking some stuff from the many different 'religions' out there. All of it together then represents you, not necessarily defined by each piece you wear.

Don't know if that makes sense...

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
        But with what Faust said, doesn't this also narrow your point of view in general with clothes? I figured the number one thing about fashion was getting something that looks, feels and IS good. So if D&G created something that WAS good, is it so bad to like it?
        Having a focused view and specific principle on what you personally buy and wear does not preclude you from having an understanding of and appreciation for a wider scope of clothes and fashion.
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Originally posted by snafu View Post
          haha mrbeuys you gotta stand up for YOUR own team eh
          Yup, and for the avoidance of doubt, this is the team...

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kuugaia
            • Feb 2010

I'm not saying it does or doesn't in particular. As Faust said originally, "There is no right answer". What I'm more thinking is something along the lines of this:

Can you not dance to a song you like the sound of, if you don't relate to the lyrics?

I can understand that many people will like a song based purely on the lyrical meaning and not necessarily the sound of the song. But I'm asking on the other side of the spectrum. I'm thinking as to what mrbeuys said "I think we care as much about the provenance and concept behind the clothing as we care about what it actually looks like...Sometimes far more." If you can't relate to the concept behind the clothing, is it wrong to buy it? I can't say I have a full grasp on industrialism, listen to industrial music or the buddhist zen behind Tatsuro Horikawa's work, but I still buy his clothes?

added: I'm not very articulate at explaining what I'm trying to say. If you don't support the philosophy of a label and don't buy its items. That makes sense, as you're not just buying and supporting the clothing but the philosophy behind it as well. But does that have to be the case for everything? Which is where I'm going with the music thing. I don't relate to the lyrics that rappers say, or the emo words that some bands sing, but I can still like it for a certain aspect. It sounds (looks) good.
            Last edited by kuugaia; 02-20-2010, 06:08 AM. Reason: added

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
              Having a focused view and specific principle on what you personally buy and wear does not preclude you from having an understanding of and appreciation for a wider scope of clothes and fashion.
              Which is exactly what Faust said and allows him/us to discuss for example womens fashion, which falls out of the scope of what we would buy and wear for most of us.
              Within the scope however, if you have an interest in fashion, it's hard to see single pieces out of context, as witnessed in my HL example or Faust's D&G example. If you disagree with the philosophy of the brand, you cant bring yourself to feed and validate that same philosophy by buying...

Ignorance might be bliss, but I choose knowledge and opinion over it wherever I can.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

I'm not very articulate at explaining what I'm trying to say. If you don't support the philosophy of a label and don't buy its items. That makes sense, as you're not just buying and supporting the clothing but the philosophy behind it as well. But does that have to be the case for everything? Which is where I'm going with the music thing. I don't relate to the lyrics that rappers say, or the emo words that some bands sing, but I can still like it for a certain aspect. It sounds (looks) good.
                Of course that does not have to be the case with everything. We all start somewhere, and how far you choose to further your understanding of the things you enjoy are ultimately a personal choice. To paraphrase Mail-Moth, it's simple to like something, but sometimes just 'good' is not enough. You're looking for a long life conversation with a work of art deep enough to allow it. Btw I think we had a similar discussion in the Issue of Authorship thread.
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• scott.m
                  • Mar 2009

you already know

Comment

• Raw
                    • Oct 2009

The white blur at the knees is a result from the flash on the wax.

Also fit pics requested by DRRRK. Didn't actually wear it out though since it's so damn hot in Melb. Thought I'd post them here anyways.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Excuse my interruption into this topic if you guys have already discussed this so much but it seems really interesting. If there's a link to past discussions I'd be glad to read it.

Did you read the part of my post in parenthesis?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        Which is exactly what Faust said and allows him/us to discuss for example womens fashion, which falls out of the scope of what we would buy and wear for most of us.
                        Within the scope however, if you have an interest in fashion, it's hard to see single pieces out of context, as witnessed in my HL example or Faust's D&G example. If you disagree with the philosophy of the brand, you cant bring yourself to feed and validate that same philosophy by buying...

Ignorance might be bliss, but I choose knowledge and opinion over it wherever I can.
                        Word.

Kuugaia, Avantster is right again, try this thread.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Raw, seems like the coat is a tad big on you. Consider taking it in.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Yeah I'll have to see how it fits when winter comes around haha, might get it taken in and have the sleeves shortened a bit.

Comment

• DRRRK
                              • Aug 2009

Hey Raw, thanks for posting the coat. Like Faust said, size 3 may be a little too big. Now I'm glad I was a little too late to pick up the size 3 from the classifieds a couple of weeks ago. If I was you (Or am I? Same boots, looking for the same red l/s), I wouldn't change the length of the sleeves.

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

Yeah I think you're smaller than me so size 3 would definately be too big for you. I really doubt I could fit into a 2 though so I'll just have to get it tailored to fit me a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎