Clear All
  • mrmrhing
    • Feb 2010

Last edited by lowrey; 04-13-2010, 10:19 AM. Reason: use private messages

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post

i enjoy this place cuz i respect the projected iq of most of it's posters but get annoyed at what i perceive to be a very narrow focus on style. many fits seem to be put together "by the numbers", albeit very large numbers. i've never dressed that way. i love going into my closets and throwing shit together that at first glance seem totally incongruous. sometimes it works and sometimes it's just plain wrong but it's always interesting and fun.

isn't that what style should be?
      couldn't agree with you more, my friend. good seeing you here

and just glanced over this again -

Originally posted by BSR View Post
      but it would be "yeah luxury with a seedy touch i'll never get it"
      the best kind of luxury the world has to offer.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
        as far as the nikes not being "thick enough", i respectfully disagree.

i enjoy this place cuz i respect the projected iq of most of it's posters but get annoyed at what i perceive to be a very narrow focus on style. many fits seem to be put together "by the numbers", albeit very large numbers. i've never dressed that way. i love going into my closets and throwing shit together that at first glance seem totally incongruous. sometimes it works and sometimes it's just plain wrong but it's always interesting and fun.

isn't that what style should be?
        No.

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

yeah but the structure shouldn't be obvious to the untrained eye
          unless that's a voluntary effect

would this mean there is no rule? I hope not

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

^no one ever said anything about not giving a fuck or being lazy. dressing by the numbers is being lazy.

anyawy 'nuff said

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

if you gotta tell yourself over and over and over, it's not very effortless or not overstyled.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• eat me
                • May 2009

That fit from BSR reminds me of those guys that used to sell cheap crap on the market, back at home country, while spitting on the pavement and swearing profoundly. I'm not sure if that's the look he was going for. The CCP jacket doesn't add, nor take anything from that outfit. But the jeans and nikes look sloppy and unwashed and ruin the whole thing for me.

Comment

• Johnny
                  • Sep 2006

profound swearing is the best kind of swearing.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Calvinc, that's perfect! Probably because it's something I'd wear! :-)
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
                      Well, I honestly don´t really see the "dressing by number" argument here at all. It´s like the first thing someone form outside SZ would say when they started reading the forum. But as we had a discussion on not so long ago, people here don´t dress by numbers or even by the label "Carol Christian Poell", as most people consider a lot of these designers we discuss to both have grails, and fails in their repertoire. So I just don´t find any strength in "dressing by numbers" at all.

FTB: To me it might be effortless and not over-styled, but what "regular" people find as over-styled might be something very different. I just try to understand how people understand me. And I only said "at some occasions", be it a place where I don´t should or need to draw attention, I have to take a look in the mirror.
                      aw yeah i know what you mean, don't mind me if i seem to be ragging on you now and then, i ain't all there myself bud.
                      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

Iv been taking most of a step back but Eternal, you may have some sort of a point, but somehow i don't really get what you are saying.

I believe it come down to how comfortable you are in your own clothes; wether they belong on sz or not. Clothes should reflect the person and tell some sort of story. People should have a connection with what they wear; wether this be through their beliefs or their environment but most of all character.

I think enternal you are confusing 'Lazy' with words such as relaxed, natural, or comfortable.
                        What do you mean by 'regular' people, or people outside the forum. This place is not some sort of elitist group. Just because people on here may wear julius to carpe to yohji, all very different, it doesn't mean they can dress any better than someone wearing old jeans and a oxford shirt. It depends on their personality.

This whole idea does frustrate me and certainly is a huge interesting view concept of understanding of what people wear and how it relates to them. I think more people need to consider this, rather than what 'grail' items there are this season. What looks good on others won't always look good on ourselves. This is not purely down to body shapes or proportions but wether we are really connected to the product we are buying.

I'l be honest i haven't like really much of what you have worn or pieced together lately. The one fit of yours the made me think twice was when it was cold and you wear wearing a rick/drkshdw parka and i think some rick boots. It wasn't over considered or thought out, the proportions worked and it wasn't overly contrived in anyway.
                        The fact you maybe some sort of way after your fits, you repost almost apologetically seems like your too conscious within them.

Sure there are balances within our outfits, I don't wear certain pants with certain shoes. We all do this but it shouldn't be taken so seriously.
                        Clothes are just clothes, sure they can be beautiful, but fuck it they are just for wearing. They shouldn't make you stand out overtly, and certainly not make you different from 'normal' people.

This may be a ramble without too much direction, but hopefully my drift is caught.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

lots of good points in here snafu. but what to do with a designer like carol who deliberately makes clothes that are conceptual and often intentionally uncomfortable or restrictive? the clothes as object vs. clothes as comfort dilemma is one that has dogged me ever since i discovered the clothing we discuss here. there are pieces i find so striking as works of design that i can't help but feel drawn to them on this basis alone with wearability being only an afterthought. i think it's better (if not integral) to stick your neck out every once in a while even at the risk of failure although i envy the people that keep it simple and don't deviate from a single uniform look.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Arcane
                            • Jul 2008

I would just like to address something that have come up here briefly as I'm at work and don't have time for a more in-depth discussion right now.

What I am talking about is the point that SZ is not about 'not giving a fuck', I am of a completly different opinion. To me the WAYWT have never been about showing who is the best dresser or ballin' the most. To me it's more or less exclusively about seeing how different garments from differents designers can look when actually worn. Some put more (some too much) effort into it while others just go with the flow. What Snafu says about it only beeing clothes meant to wear is also a crucial point to me. When worn they should't be a layered mishmash like the Illustrator file I'm currently working in or restrict your movement or suffocate you because they are to snug to make it look busy and effortful (the opposite of effortless?). They should just be worn, to impersonate who you are. What makes SZ special to me is that you can discuss other subjects than 'how it looks' and 'who dresses the best', construction, intentions, materials etc. Thereby I would like to stick my neck out and say that a SZ style doesn't exist, only the designers and clothes we choose to discuss. Everything else is up to the individual.

My 5 cents that probably don't make any sense.
                            Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• snafu
                              • Apr 2008

This is a good one AKA, For carol it is not a fault. I certainly appreciate the majority of his work although something is now tiring me.

Look at his exploration in tailoring, tape seaming, glue seaming, chain stitch. All of these actually will break in some way, this can be beautiful, but when it comes to tailoring it is about giving structure almost building a frame. He is doing this, but handstiching is done for a reason; to allow that little give in the fabric when worn.
                              I have experienced both but i know when it comes to the classic or 'regular' tailoring of his, i much prefer it than the experimental stuff. Just because his regular tailoring still has the same shape but without restriction in movement; i can wear it day to day, throw it about and it still looks amazing. I treat it like clothes not as an object.
                              I don't fault carol for his glue/taping etc etc because i know he has the ability to do both. So it is purely experimentation.
                              I guess it is nice to have clothes that cross over, but fuck it i want to wear my stuff.
                              What people on here forget sometimes, is that clothes are not a true expression like art or music. They are utilitarian, they have to fit the body in a form.

I guess some people can make that extra effort for self expression, carol does explore alot in terms of construction and it seems like he is doing it in a fetishistic way. But in his terms of construction it is not always progression. I can appreciate many designers works, but really if i bought what i appreciated but not actually going to wear it, what is the point; people are not going to see my wardrobe. I also don't agree with it on a consumption level. But that is a whole different argument.
                              Last edited by snafu; 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                profound swearing is the best kind of swearing.
                                haha, can't argue with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎