Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

This is what I have alluded to several times, but I guess most people are still wrapped up in the idea of a true "self". Let his hammer strike you down!

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
    music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
      It's important to some people. Unimportant to others. Can we at least agree that people wear clothes for different reasons?

And, no, I'm not going to go all pseudo-intellectual and start posting portraits of Lionel Trilling and shit.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw Edge
        • Jan 2008

question.

why are the only options:

1) copying some whole style/aesthetic
        2) not giving a fuck and being bummy?

to me the people who had the most style were those who effortlessly mixed things just because they liked and felt comfortable with them.
        say...wearing a button down shirt and a hoodie- just because...you felt like it.
        At some point in the hipster-dom conversation this (mixing and taking from different places) was mistakenly called hipsterdom.
        It's not. mixing inspirations from different places and making it your own, (whatever your own is- inner, outer, etc) in music, art, etc is what creativity and personal style is.

you have more options than being a scrub or a biter, a fake goth or a boring suit. this isn't high school gym class where you have to pick a team.

look at any of the style icons throughout world history (or in the inspirations section here).
        having style is doing what you feel, wherever that comes from, authentic or not.

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Can't we all just wear sick shit?

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

mm, i honestly wear rick because it fits and because it's a casual way to look like you're not giving a fuck while giving a little bit of a fuck.

Comment

• kunk75
              Banned
              • May 2008

a few examples of true nonchalance:

the 300lb neighbor in the "eat your heart out, i'm married tee" and my aunt's 75 year old dominican neighbor, who is male, in his "jewish american price$$" tee.

One day I'll get there.

Comment

• lmaozedong
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                a few examples of true nonchalance:

the 300lb neighbor in the "eat your heart out, i'm married tee" and my aunt's 75 year old dominican neighbor, who is male, in his "jewish american price$$" tee.

One day I'll get there.
                impossible to get there wearing rick, fortunately

Comment

• There is a lot of good pointers here about authenticity and personal style, the discussion is getting more and more interesting.

Snafu: I don't want to bring the age card here, but being almost a decade older than you, I have had time to find my own style and know clearly what's for me and what's not. Just because you were into RO etc., last year and didn't feel like it was "you", it doesn't mean that the same path would imply to me. You sound to me a bit like those young weed smokers, who have just found bud, put it on a pedestal, and preach to others how using any other substance is so lame and how you're are now a better person because of it. "Too cool for fashion school", like Christianef put it.

I would say that yes, I am aware of the current fashion but the way I "follow" it, is not the way you think. I once wrote this statement on my blog: I always tend to fall in love with collections where the most elements are already part of my wardrobe – clothes, that don’t necessarily redefine my style each season but rather strengthen it.
                  And I stick to that thought 100%.

Let's just agree do disagree and move on.

Comment

• Chant
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Can we at least agree that people wear clothes for different reasons?
                    Great conclusion. [johnny icon]
                    But, hum..., you should maybe try the pseudo-intellecual way.

Comment

• ES3K
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                      /\

Since it's common around here to have member quotations as signature... This one is highly recommended!

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

> mr. moth - what a lovely reply! how's that for authenticity, everyone? still, mr. moth, i maintain that a slouchy old so called 'carpet bag' might work, if you can find one in good condition that is also to your liking.

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                        I'll never be spot on. It wouldn't be me - understand : this idea of an approximative and somewhat ridiculous being that I consider as the most acceptable form of my self.
                        otherwise i have to say that this thread is such a head trip sometimes - a beautiful clashing of minds. the only reason why i'm not jumping into the current discussion is that i'm seeing multiple viewpoints i agree with and i do not necessarily see them as conflicting. i'm enjoying soaking up the wisdom, lurker style...

authenticity is a beautiful idea. just because it may not exist doesn't mean we can't keep the concept alive. i think the continuous search for it can make one a better person. whether or not they are right, there is something quite tragic about ironic post-modernist hipsters who give up on the concept of a 'true self'.

> kunk, you are a funny guy. i like your grounded take on things.... that's my reason for rick as well. i mean who are we kidding - we all give a little bit of a fuck.

Comment

• kbi
                          • Feb 2009

Can somebody perhaps Jump in with some Sick ccp-steez waywt to calm the mood?

Comment

• Here is my outfit from Wednesday.

Wearing:
                            Obscur leather
                            BBS knitted vest
                            Nakkna dress
                            Owens tank
                            Owens boots
                            Ann D necklace
                            (+ Some rings and a bag that doesn't really show in the picture)

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

^^ hehe. more fuel to the fire?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰