• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    ^^ hehe. more fuel to the fire?
    Hahhaha yeah! :)

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

Why more fuel to the fire? If the fact that she is the first person to post an outfit after this discussion doesn't prove that she's for real I don't know what could end this discussion.

Flux, I didn't expect BBS to be so fitting for a woman. Well done again.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

drrrk ur getting me all wrong. i totally dig girls with a bit of 'sisu'.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Very nice, again, flux. Only the wedges look a little bit out of place because the rest of the black match so well. I have the same damn problem - the black never match.

Did you guys know that there are 360 thousand shades of black? We are fucked.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

I wear stuff (be it thrift or designer - I don't really wear high street much) because

1. I think it looks nice and makes my body look good
            2. it gives me the false sense that I am better than other people who shop at zara or wherever

but I have friends who think they are better than me because they believe they can look just as stylish as me for a fraction of what I spend (I disagree with them)

it's all about conceit in most cases. this whole innser self garbage is just another form of conceit where you think "expressing yourself" through your style is better than just buying into a trend. it's not. if the bandwaggonner's inner self is to be a sheep, he expresses his inner self just as much as you by being a fashion whore anyway.

in any case, everything you do reveals something of who you really are. your clothes, the way you eat and walk, the way you talk, the way you look at people and things, everthing

so basically what I'm saying is that we generally give ourselves much more credit than we should, but if we enjoy ourselves, then why the hell not?

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
              ...say...wearing a button down shirt and a hoodie- just because...you felt like it.
              At some point in the hipster-dom conversation this (mixing and taking from different places) was mistakenly called hipsterdom.
              It's not.
              i think the hipsterdom version of this discussion was specific to hoodies. at least from my perspective. and not all hoodies. just some.

but it looks like i was wrong. they've moved on...

i feel like platform sneakers reflect the inner me.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

ell that's what I was saying when I wasn't being a smartass. even if we don't think about what we are doing, what we wear will reveal something of who we are, in one way or another. what you like to look at and what you likle to wear aren't necessarily the same.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
                  Wrong again Faust!

“There's forty different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.”

But we are indeed fucked.
                  I am guessing the guy who said it is not in the dyeing business.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                    Great conclusion. [johnny icon]
                    But, hum..., you should maybe try the pseudo-intellecual way.
                    I suppose I am under the influence of the new course I am putting together where fashion will be examined from very different angles. So, yeah - some wear what they wear because they are told to by fashion magazines, so do because their social situation demands it, some do to convey their social/monetary status, some do because they feel that clothes is an outward representation of their personality, etc. etc.

And, yes, there is something called authenticity. It is why I feel comfortable in a leather jacket and not in a suit, even though I look good in them. This is why Moth won't be caught dead in a leather jacket. There is something there and whether it's constructed or natural is besides the point and all the deleuzes of the world can de/construct all they want - the thing is, it doesn't matter. I may fall in love with a girl and speak sweetly to her about my love. A biochemist can fall in love with her and tell her that it's just chemical reaction in our brains. Who gets the girl? You can explain feelings away until you bash your head against the wall - it won't help. The thing is - explanations have no power over emotions. End of story.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

from the outside looking in, "authenticity" is nothing more than execution. it is how well you pull off what you are wearing. whether you are truly authentic or a skilled imposter is unknowable from the outset. over time, at least as far as this forum is concerned, we get to know personalities and can more accurately make that judgement for ourselves. thats why christian's authenticity is never questioned even when he jumps from head to toe damir to rick to ann to ccp and back to damir. because it is all authentic to him and his passions. he is a seeker and an experimenter and it all works.

the discussion spawned from flux's post was certainly about more than just flux, but the judgement as inauthentic was a leap easily made by snaf because what she was wearing is very much like many other pics by many other "fashionable" girls out there. we just haven't gotten to know her yet.

i also think that this "reflection of inner self as authenticity" line of thought is in error. your inner self will be reflected no matter what u do. it is an inevitability. if you look like an imposter, perhaps your inner self is a phony, and you are the most authentic of all.

my choices are made to reflect my personality, not my inner self. perhaps it is semantics but it feels less pretentious that way. they are also chosen to reflect my vanity. i like to wear what looks good...

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                        ff all.

my choices are made to reflect my personality, not my inner self. perhaps it is semantics but it feels less pretentious that way. they are also chosen to reflect my vanity. i like to wear what looks good...
                        Well maybe thats because we have been educated to have a materialistic worldview, and the idea of an "inner self" speaks to a transcendental/ Non Material reality that we dont want to acknowledge...............
                        Man is always more than he is willing to admit....................
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

i feel like that transcendental/non-material reality cannot be represented thru the "proper" choice of material possessions/clothing. or rather, it cannot NOT be represented. even if it is being masked. often that will depend on the nature of the viewer. can one see that which is unseen? well, not if one is a dipshit. but yeah, maybe if one is in some way spiritually connected.

but my personality can be represented by my choices in bodily adornments. easily.

i'm also not very smart, so there's that little issue

Comment

• DRRRK: Thanks, in fact, that BBS knit is one of the favorite pieces. I love mixing men's and women's wear together, it opens up so much more possibilities when you allow yourself to expand to the other side.

Shucks: I got sisu alright. ;)

Faust: Thank you. The picture is actually making the shoes look a bit lighter (and weirdly greenish gray for that matter) than they are in reality but I understand what you mean by the different shades of black thing. If it's subtle, it doesn't bother me as much since different shades of black can give depth to an all black outift. However, if there is a mix of too many warm and cold tone blacks in one ensemble, it becomes a problem for me as well.

Comment

• christianef
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by merz
                              ultimately we choose to associate ourselves with something, to have it in our lives, because it bears some kind of personal significance. it is adopted into or as a fascimilie of some part of a construct of self, its not necessarily what fuuma referred to as some 'true self' but a personal and maybe a rather romanticised version of self.

when something is adopted that way, it is given a specific context and relevance. and so when the same object or aesthetic is seen elsewhere being deliberately decontextualised/debased, it is only natural to interpret it as an assault on the personal significance it holds to the offended party. that something being taken from its context doesn't take away from merit or quality, just makes it easy to feel immediate contempt towards who seem to display it in a way significantly different from the one the self identifies with.

its not meant to form or substitute your self..

man, reading this back sounds so muddled, my brain may as well be leaking out of my ear..
                              true, i agree with faust - unfortunately personal significance and subsequent context arent necessarily blatantly transparent. Not that this relates to Flux, but it makes just as much sense for a person from Scandinavia to support an independent Scandinavian designer and wear their jacket and want to show it off regardless of how they pose in a picture than it does some kid from Portland who grew up listing to sisters of mercy and is dripping street cred etc. in different ways they're equally authentic one is just slightly more visible. yes, borrowing from beardowns made in the us belief, the logic behind how we choose to present ourselves can obviously spiral a billion different ways none of which have to be superficial or an obscure nod to culture. my friends aunt committed suicide and was burried in her nurses uniform because the husband felt it completely symbolic of who she was.

me i just wear rick owens too because i dont give a flux. i dont give a shucks :)

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

Is it just me, or has anyone else become completly confused that someone named Flux and someone named Shucks have both been participating in the conversation? I have to keep looking back and forth to see what anyone is talking about hehe.
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎