X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tumnus Truck-Tour
    Banned
    • Nov 2009

shan't buckwheat's fit subtract the white button up?

Comment

• eat me
      • May 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
      Ye boi. Not hating, of course, I'm actually kind of glad we're moving away from wild (ephemeral?) Rick Owens stuff and toward a more grounded Hardnen look. The tweed blazer may be a paradigm shift in the wardrobe of many.
      Blasphemy. Why not just say that they're different and you're in the mood for the second atm? Directional design and cosy wearable pieces in wool - how on earth moving from the former to the latter is "moving on"? Aren't we here supposed to embrace risk? Otherwise you might just stick with "eternal" Sartorialist looks. No hate. Just a bit unexpected hearing something like that from a long-time member here.

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

i knew the moment i read that post from beau that it was going to be flamed. but i think it was just a passing comment meant to reflect his own changing style. i think it deserves a pass.
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

...Not hating, of course, I'm actually kind of glad we're moving away from wild (ephemeral?) Rick Owens stuff and toward a more grounded Hardnen look. The tweed blazer may be a paradigm shift in the wardrobe of many.
          Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          Why is Harnden more grounded, I know we associated tweed and those washed jackets with time of yore and old men and hence extend some characteristics to them about timelessness but in reality I don't see a compelling argument how it is any less fashion and subject to trends then Rick street/leather looks.
          Originally posted by eat me View Post
          Blasphemy. Why not just say that they're different and you're in the mood for the second atm? Directional design and cosy wearable pieces in wool - how on earth moving from the former to the latter is "moving on"? Aren't we here supposed to embrace risk? Otherwise you might just stick with "eternal" Sartorialist looks. No hate. Just a bit unexpected hearing something like that from a long-time member here.
          i think this could be an interesting topic and i'd like to hear more points of view.

i don't have a lot of time but here are a few thoughts

1. regarding what beau said about "moving on" to more grounded looks. it does seem that a lot of the more lauded looks of late are built upon more traditional ideas of menswear i.e., boots, trousers, knit, blazer, scarf. are some of you bored with what seems to be a small group of avant garde designers? is what was once balling now boring?

2. i would like to hear fuuma explain how a tweed blazer is the same as winged sneakers and drop crotch track pants. i'm not saying i disagree. it is all fashion and it all is influenced by trends. but a blazer is different from a hooded samurai jacket, isn't it? i just want to hear more from the master...

3. i agree that we are here to embrace risk and innovation. so what is the "next level"? if there is boredom around avant garde fashion, then is that because some designers are being ignored? or is there literally nothing happening since helmut, margiela and hedi are history, raf is a cruel joke, altieri is mia, ccp is a hermit, and rick is repeating himself?
          Last edited by cjbreed; 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

by the way, i am of the opinion that PH is perfectly comfortable in closets packed with ccp, rick, bbs, cdiem, ma+, etc. thats what is cool about it. there is of course the 19th century peasant worker element to it but with proper styling that becomes more like a hint, or a memory. these are all great looks because they are simultaneously edgy and timeless

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              i think this could be an interesting topic and i'd like to hear more points of view.

i don't have a lot of time but here are a few thoughts

1. regarding what beau said about "moving on" to more grounded looks. it does seem that a lot of the more lauded looks of late are built upon more traditional ideas of menswear i.e., boots, trousers, knit, blazer, scarf. are some of you board with what seems to be a small group of avant garde designers? is what was once balling now boring?

2. i would like to hear fuuma explain how a tweed blazer is the same as winged sneakers and drop crotch track pants. i'm not saying i disagree. it is all fashion and it all is influenced by trends. but a blazer is different from a hooded samurai jacket, isn't it? i just want to hear more from the master...

3. i agree that we are here to embrace risk and innovation. so what is the "next level"? if there is boredom around avant garde fashion, then is that because some designers are being ignored? or is there literally nothing happening since helmut, margiela and hedi are history, raf is a cruel joke, altieri is mia, ccp is a hermit, and rick is repeating himself?
              As to 1 and 3, I think it's really a matter of personal style. Some people look great in certain things, others don't. I, for example, cannot pull off stuff that andrewisawarlod or Chrisitan, mr.beuyes can. And thank god I know my limits.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Jeez fellows. I didn't intend to be taken so personally, I meant that it's nice to move away from a look that's as quite as hostile as Rick, etc. Maybe it's just my conception of Rick, maybe it's just how I wear it, but I find that the Hardnen blazers are a lot more accessible to the "general public", you could say.

Of course the two could employ the exact same incredible sartorial advances, it's just that one is extremely obvious about it and the other is not.

Guess I'm either being misunderstood, or I have the wrong idea about PH, or maybe about style of dress in general. Maybe I need a break from posting to meditate here.

I love the agressive stylings of Beuyes and Christian, but I can appreciate the toned down appeal of Avantster, Moth, etc. This is not to say that either is more or less "fashion" as it has been described, only that it is less alien.

It takes balls to wear clothing that alienates the wearer from everyone else, and it's comforting to see the avant garde "masked" in tweed, rather than made of blistered ostrich.
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

I love the agressive stylings of Beuyes and Christian...
                  My, today would have been a good day to take a picture, draped as I am in 2003 Lang head to toe and at most passive aggressive...

Get your point tho, sometimes I just like to push things, fully knowing (and enjoying) the alien look and silliness that comes with it.
                  And on other days I like to play grown up and wear a HL suit. For me, it depends on the day, not the year, and most definitely not my age and I am totally comfortable with that. Consistency is the last thing on my mind. Surprise however...
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

it's also all to easy to conflate what you look good in with what you like. nearly everyone i know thinks i look better in tailored stuff but i just cannot break away from droopey drapey layers.

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

On topic, I suppose

Paul Harnden
                      Rick Owens
                      Boris Bidjan Saberi
                      Augusta

Comment

• gaitortrout
                        • Sep 2010

damn. that really is a nice jacket. proportions look a bit off from this angle though... think it's the BBS pants.... or the stiff posture.
                        pm me.

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

pants are boris. they are the ones from last season with the pocket flaps, so they flare out a bit.

Comment

• gaitortrout
                            • Sep 2010

Ah, I thought it might be those. It's a bit hard to tell in the photo but I see it now.
                            pm me.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                              pants are boris. they are the ones from last season with the pocket flaps, so they flare out a bit.
                              lift up your collar, you hobo.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                                • Nov 2007

at least I didn't roll up the cuffs this time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎