• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BUMMER
    • Feb 2010

Zamb:
    I think the essence of Snafu's statement is this actually:
    "Its a weird jacket so fucking strong and aggressive that is so simple yet striking, basically you have to have a bit of that punk don't give a shit mentality to wear this. I feel like you have to be a reject from normality to pull it off. Its like the rick elephant boots lots of fashion kids/hipsters what ever you want to call them ("dazed and confused kids" shye) but very few pull them off."
    And Kunk:
    I realize this may be a sensitive issue to discuss on a forum, but I don't think this is a body type ='soul' issue. It's a matter of choosing what works well with your body type/style in a way that somehow reflects interests/etc./whatever. Your fits are a good example of how to wear Rick Owens, but it's because your choices suit you. They reflect an interest/engagement in subculture, design aesthetics and fit you correctly. You're an intense Rick fan, but with your track record of appropriate choices, I don't see you forcing any of the many inappropriate choices you could choose from his collections. (The SS11 black/white/grey 'psychedelic shower curtain' overcoat is one extremely obvious example. I think we can agree that not many people could pull that off anyway, even the pre-teen/childlike waif I saw wearing it in here somewhere..) We can extend that to the short-sleeved overcoats for a more realistic example...
    For the record, I also agree with Fuuma.. I'm not particularly a fan of the fencing jacket or it's retail price. But I do feel that someone deserves credit for pulling off a difficult piece well. I also like to see people getting credit for looking beautiful in simple, overlooked and/or otherwise un-hyped pieces. (Flux in her well-balanced, high-waisted Ann trousers look/HOF pic is a perfect example.) I'd like to see more of this, actually. regardless of body type. That is one of the things that combines with knowledge, personal tastes/interests/activities etc. to create truly good style for me.
    PS:^Beau and Seenmy also pull off the fencing in my opinion.
    Last edited by BUMMER; 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

I agree with the sentiments to an extent, in fact what we call a hype machine will probably never pervade the mainstream. The only people I've seen in CCP are sz'ers (granted as a married dad of 3 i don't hang in the most fashionable circles) and i don't see much rick save for the japanese kids who attend the ESL school down the block from my office. I guess 10 people owning the fencing hardly makes it the ubiquitous birkin bag

Originally posted by BUMMER View Post
      Zamb:
      I think the essence of Snafu's statement is this actually:
      "Its a weird jacket so fucking strong and aggressive that is so simple yet striking, basically you have to have a bit of that punk don't give a shit mentality to wear this. I feel like you have to be a reject from normality to pull it off. Its like the rick elephant boots lots of fashion kids/hipsters what ever you want to call them ("dazed and confused kids" shye) but very few pull them off."
      And Kunk:
      I realize this may be a sensitive issue to discuss on a forum, but I don't think this is a body type ='soul' issue. It's a matter of choosing what works well with your body type/style in a way that somehow reflects interests/etc./whatever. Your fits are a good example of how to wear Rick Owens, but it's because your choices suit you. They reflect an interest/engagement in subculture, design aesthetics and fit you correctly. You're an intense Rick fan, but with your track record of appropriate choices, I don't see you forcing any of the many inappropriate choices you could choose from his collections. (The SS11 black/white/grey 'psychedelic shower curtain' overcoat is one extremely obvious example. I think we can agree that not many people could pull that off anyway, even the pre-teen/childlike waif I saw wearing it in here somewhere..) We can extend that to the short-sleeved overcoats for a more realistic example...
      For the record, I also agree with Fuuma.. I'm not particularly a fan of the fencing jacket or it's retail price. But I do feel that someone deserves credit for pulling off a difficult piece well. I also like to see people getting credit for looking beautiful in simple, overlooked and/or otherwise un-hyped pieces. (Flux in her well-balanced, high-waisted Ann trousers look/HOF pic is a perfect example.) I'd like to see more of this, actually. regardless of body type. That is one of the things that combines with knowledge, personal tastes/interests/activities etc. to create truly good style for me.

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

as i clicked on these to quote them i already regretted doing it.

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        I don't find the fencing to be cooler or better than the average RO or Julius leather jacket, the high price just has a psych impact on SZ members. I don't dislike it or anything and it looks cool with some fits but if it wasn't Poell and like €4500 or something (Poell prices are now plain stupid, let's be honest he's not Hermès) no one would go "grail, grail, grail, coolest jacket ever!!!".
        ...My point is that its not greater or an accomplishment of epic proportions, just a high priced leather jacket that gets a lot of aura in certain circles for its high price. Now if you ask me SZ is now at a all time high of users who basically buy the pieces cause they're pricey, rare and have a "in the know" aura....
        i generally hold fuuma's posts in a very high regard and really appreciate what i perceive to be a more mature, well rounded and experienced view of clothing and fashion. but i want to dispute a little bit here.

i don't think it is just the high price and the name. i'm not a ccp expert by any means but based on my limited experience there is an aspect of ccp leather goods that is difficult to define. there is just something about it that sets it apart. you can tell when you see it or wear it. it also exists with some cdiem pieces. whatever various treatments and dyeing they do to the leather (or garment) makes it look and feel very different. far more unique than most ro leathers. (which i also love.) and there is a peculiar razor sharp awkwardness to the cut that ever so slightly tricks your eye into noticing its different-ness but not knowing why.

i think people love it in spite of the price. of course the rarity contributes to the "grail" component of it.

also, simply removing the tag to try and test its grail worthiness would also remove the contribution that the history and philosophy of the garment and its designer make to its overall value.

remove the name of the artist and the history around this drawing and what would u say about it?
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
          • Oct 2009

Some buyers might make it about that but CCP is definitely not about this.
          No offence but may I ask where all this never ending wisdom on this topic comes from?
          You talk as if you are Carol himself!

And amen to what Beau said, we are far beyond being ridiculous.

Buy the stuff you like for the reason that moves you don't give a shit about other peoples opinion on that as long as you enjoy it and wear the shit out of it.
          Its not science!
          "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

heaven help us all...................................

i think we all need to step back, do some charity work, go help a bum on the street....................visit a hospital or something.
            there is a certain sense of intellectual madness with regards to clothing creeping up on us that there should be some effort to escape........................
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• kunk75
              Banned
              • May 2008

zam, i hope you aren't insinuating that CCP has less cultural relevance or importance than the tucson shootings, tax laws or the global economy?

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                zam, i hope you aren't insinuating that CCP has less cultural relevance or importance than the tucson shootings, tax laws or the global economy?
                Tunisian tyrant just fell and my leather jacket is fine.
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT View Post
                  No offence but may I ask where all this never ending wisdom on this topic comes from?
                  You talk as if you are Carol himself!
                  I talk as someone who has an opinion and has given it some thought, you don't need to subscribe to it but would you really be interested in a designer if the core of his discourse was about elitism and rejection of it? Sounds fucking boring. I mean there is very little in the way of intent that is knowable about CCP but we do know that:

-He plays with the codes of contemporary art and intentionally blurs the lines between art and fashion.
                  -He directly refers to Viennese actionists, going as far as reproducing some famous pictures of that time and replacing certain elements with his designs.
                  -He constantly questions techniques and processes of construction, being more about "clothing engineering" than "creating aesthetically pleasing stuff".
                  -Leathers are frequently associated with the chitin exoskeleton of insects, dead carcasses or other morbid imagery.
                  -Reworkings and endless variations constitute the main trust of his input.
                  -Confinement and an acute feeling of wearing something alien are part of the experience we get wearing many/most of his pieces.
                  -Some declarations and his designs manifest a certain misogyny. (he’s gay but I’m not sure it matters)

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

sorry to go off topic, but this is what I wore yesterday and today and most days this winter:

(click)
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                      ccp's design philosophy may not be but his epic pricetag combined with the cooler than cool anti-fashion anti-marketing (censorship of the web) marketing strategy certainly are.
                      Oh, yeah, in this case I agree. Just sayin' CCP isn't as empty as this.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                        • Oct 2009

Thanks, I can agree with that just got you wrong!
                        I admit that you got your shit together.

I talk as someone who has an opinion and has given it some thought, you don't need to subscribe to it but would you really be interested in a designer if the core of his discourse was about elitism and rejection of it? Sounds fucking boring. I mean there is very little in the way of intent that is knowable about CCP but we do know that:

-He plays with the codes of contemporary art and intentionally blurs the lines between art and fashion.
                        -He directly refers to Viennese actionists, going as far as reproducing some famous pictures of that time and replacing certain elements with his designs.
                        -He constantly questions techniques and processes of construction, being more about "clothing engineering" than "creating aesthetically pleasing stuff".
                        -Leathers are frequently associated with the chitin exoskeleton of insects, dead carcasses or other morbid imagery.
                        -Reworkings and endless variations constitute the main trust of his input.
                        -Confinement and an acute feeling of wearing something alien are part of the experience we get wearing many/most of his pieces.
                        -Some declarations and his designs manifest a certain misogyny. (he’s gay but I’m not sure it matters)
                        "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• eton97
                          • Dec 2008

Lowrey - some of my favourite bits in your WAYWT.......correct me if I'm wrong, but:
                          PH (burnt) black jacket,
                          Guidi Q15,
                          struggling on the pants, but going to go for LUC Jpants,
                          and the biggest yes/no of 2010 for me, the rubberducks....
                          ......I wore almost identical today bar the dipped....

and i bought the ccp fencing because i think it looked really cool when i saw some of the photos...simple as that, and as i am a father who's about to have a second baby, i can promise you i don't hang in any funky places - nobody i know has even heard of CCP, so the concept of grail is irrreleavnt...so what does that say about me? stupid, sad, elitist, a capitalist pig.....?
                          I don't give a shit...i buy it because I like it - for some of the reasons fuuma lists, for the same reason i like a rolex instead of a casio, but mostly because it makes me feel good..
                          shoot me
                          Last edited by eton97; 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM.
                          you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            sorry to go off topic
                            you should really know better.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                              Lowrey - some of my favourite bits in your WAYWT.......correct me if I'm wrong, but:
                              PH (burnt) black jacket,
                              Guidi Q15,
                              struggling on the pants, but going to go for LUC Jpants,
                              and the biggest yes/no of 2010 for me, the rubberducks....
                              jacket colour is "dirt", otherwise correct. J pants from a couple of years ago.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

hate to disappoint some of y'all good people, but that acephale fella... he ain't got no soul. sold his a loooong ass time ago. at some crossroads down yonder. faustian hoodoo thingamagick devilry shit. barring a sexy lap-dance on don cornelius' funky upper thighs to the tune of "everybody's got a little devil in their soul", he ain't getting none of that soul back. no way no how.

days are numbered i hear. them hell-hounds been on his ass last couple weeks. nasty sumabitches. they be reapin'. oh, they be reapin'. now, how does that song go again?

"i got to keep movinnnn', i got to keep movinnnn',
                                and the day keeps on worrin' me, there's a hell-hound on my trail,
                                hell-hound on my trail, hell-hound on my trail."

where's a good preacher when you need one?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎