X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Eternal
    I don't think the look really looks forced at all.

i second this. in fact, i second your whole post and your fit. it rawks.

ps. and big drop pants go well with long tops (yes, blazers too). that's just the way it is. there are millions of people wearing it that way.

Comment

• rider
      eyes of the world
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JD_May View Post
      Consensus appears to be that the hat was too much.

hat not too much for me. i would notice you and smile, maybe just a quick gut reaction that the crotch is a bit snug, other than that its off kilter just the right degree and swell.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post

Sometimes I am under the vague impression that some people here only feel comfortable with a high-end version of rock/punk gear : slim fits, blacks, browns and grays, and so on - or with its skatecore version : cropped pants and combats/high-tops.
        Then why do your fits get consistent rave reviews?

I like Eternal's fit - a character out of a Becket play, beardown, that's awesome then, isn't it?!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
          ^ I middle east approve of this fit.

Sometimes I am under the vague impression that some people here only feel comfortable with a high-end version of rock/punk gear : slim fits, blacks, browns and grays, and so on - or with its skatecore version : cropped pants and combats/high-tops.

Simply put, what looks acceptable and authentic(didn't write that word) to them just looks like what they were wearing as teenagers - or what their ideal self would have worn at that time ; but in a grown-up, refined manner - no more print tees, shades of gray instead -, marked by the importance given to construction, materials and the exactitude of fit. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think that style should be limited to such a safe and somewhat conservative interpretation - nor do I see understatement as its perfect synonym.
          I hope this isn't directed at me because even though I have extolled the personal virtues of comfort and utility, I don't really post enough in WAYWT today for that to be construed from my ideals. I'm an artist who slings paint every day so I can't exactly dress up in a $2,000 outfit and do that comfortably. I believe everyone's wardrobe should reflect who they are and what they do; that's one of the aspects of clothing that separates what seems natural to me vs. what seems manufactured. Authenticity vs. artifice.

Although as a skater of 20+ years, I feel there's nothing wrong with representing that side of yourself in elements. It's much better than presenting something that's alien to your being.

That could be a wholly personal phenomenon though...when I walk out the door, I don't want to not feel like I'm playing dress up. I'm not on a catwalk. I'm not on a showroom floor. I'm not trying to shock anyone or impress anyone except myself on special occasions.

Anyone (and I note 'anyone with the means') can walk into Atelier and walk out in that outfit. And that's one of the problems I have with it which wouldn't apply to the outfits that you assemble and wear in your life (based on WAYWT images). I doubt you could walk into a high end story in NYC and walk out with a Mailmoth outfit and that's one of the things I respect about what you wear. They show a person with varying preferences melded into one cohesive display that looks functional and personal. You obviously have a taste for contrast in textures and colors...that all shows personal style, which is another thing I like to see within an outfit. Your clothes fit you. Impeccably for the most part. So specifically with what you've posted here in terms of images and drop crotches, I see a world of difference from Eternal's single photo.
          Those are some of the difference that separates what I respect vs. what at times seems to constitute 'consume and present.'

Having said that, I wouldn't wear most of the clothes that you wear. Because I can't relate to them personally. And when I got to that point in my life where I could appreciate something for its merits and not personally like it, I felt like I was on the right track. Because just like Eternal's clothes, they just have to work for him. Not for me.

As for the fit, coming from an obsessive WAYWT poster the following might sound strange but : clothes are not meant to be photographed, originally they're meant to be worn.
          I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I think sometimes the WAYWT is almost anti-SZ in some ways and tends to represent and encourage at times the idea that the label is more important than the texture, the cut, the fit, the concept and how it is personally presented in context to the person. We are not mannequins. We do move, we do skate, we do things like yard work occasionally in the real world and personally, I like to see that side of real life represented in this corner of the forum. At least once in a while. Without the personal influence, aren't we just creating a fantasy land that echoes the images in lookbooks?

But I certainly won't allow myself to judge the fit of those garments on the faith of one picture taken from a bad angle.
          Isn't that what we're doing here most of the time? Discussing a fit/aesthetics based on a single image? I rarely offer personal opinions in this thread but to me, that's what it appears to be about much of the time. Though I hope it would be considered 'discussing' less than 'judging.'

But you can take Jogu, who admittedly has some issues with corner photography and his fits feel more natural to me when I see them. Maybe it's the stance, maybe it's the way it is presented, possibly the angle. But it doesn't feel like dress up to me. He crosses the realm of lookbook and showroom floor into real life, which I don't believe Eternal's does. Again (and I hope this goes without saying) this is just a personal opinion.

Faust, I hear you on the Beckett reference. I guess it just depends if you're wanting to be Vladimir, Pozzo or Estragon. If it's the absurd we're investigating here, I certainly believe we find it at times!
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ Ha! My man.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

(1) Very well written and thoughtful posts by beardown and eternal.

Mail-Moth continues to show how it is done. Always impressive...

Comment

• ES3K
                • Oct 2008

I've never seen the Atelier staff, but I guess there is worse workwear to get some inspiration from... if this was the case actually. And to me Eternal doesn't look dressed up/forced at all. It's totally Eternal.

(...) But you can take Jogu, who admittedly has some issues with corner photography (...)
                LOL!

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                  • Mar 2009

Beardown, I assume that we both will agree on the fact that we don't know Eternal personally ; therefore I find it quite hard to decide if what he's wearing on this picture is him or not. What makes the task especially difficult is that the background of most of his pictures is a white wall (I know Jogu is in the same case, but I'll come back to him a bit later).

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that most of the outfits praised here show some talent for scenography, whether it be the background - more than often - or the (sometimes knowingly ankward) pose. Some of those elements serve as style signatures almost as strong as the garment themselves. Here I think of Jogu, Seenmy, Acephale, or more recently Ochre posing before his work-in-progress. And so many others.

And frankly I don't know if what I see is them - or just their aptitude to chose the best way to show what they wear. I agree that this sole thing could already be perceived as a sign of cohesiveness in their tastes and thus as a revelator of their personality - but it may also be the result of a mere sensibility to images that goes along well with the times. (And in that sense, yes, this thread is not different from a highest-end fashion version of lookbook).

But what I know for sure is that most of the garments they wear could actually come from Sartorialoft, Atelier, you name it (except for Jogu). Eternal wears similar stuff, assembled (lately at least) with a level of taste in par with most of people here (except Jogu). But his pictures always make the result seem impersonal or generic. And very often other people do not show much more personality, but they certainly are better at taking personal pictures.
                  Last edited by Mail-Moth; 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM.
                  I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                  I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• shah
                    • Jul 2009

we should all pose in front of white backgrounds, uniformity in presentation = more objective distinction in outfit/waywt quality lol

Comment

• JD_May
                      • Apr 2010

^If you'll look back, you'll find that I am way ahead of you. By which I mean exactly one day ahead of you.
                      In a perfect world you could fuck people without ever giving them a piece of your heart.
                      And every glittering kiss and every touch of flesh is another shard of heart you'll never see again.

Comment

• HWith
                        • May 2007

Eternal's fit is basically what I wear every day, so a big thumbs up. The only thing I'd like to question is the neck line of that t-shirt. I think it should be more U-shaped so it follows the blazers lapels, so to speak. Right now it somwhat 'cuts' through the neck horisontally, which doesn't really fit the rest of the clothes which have an organic, relaxed feeling to them.

EDIT: Why don't more people take pictures of themselves in motion. People are always standing still. Just wondering...

NB.: I'll keep my post way down to earth this time.
                        Last edited by HWith; 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• gavagai
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                          Eternal's fit is basically what I wear every day, so a big thumbs up. The only thing I'd like to question is the neck line of that t-shirt. I think it should be more U-shaped so it follows the blazers lapels, so to speak. Right now it somwhat 'cuts' through the neck horisontally, which doesn't really fit the rest of the clothes which have an organic, relaxed feeling to them.

EDIT: Why don't more people take pictures of themselves in motion. People are always standing still. Just wondering...

NB.: I'll keep my post way down to earth this time.
                          Actually I like the neckline as it is horizontal with the dropped crotch.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                            Anyone (and I note 'anyone with the means') can walk into Atelier and walk out in that outfit. And that's one of the problems I have with it which wouldn't apply to the outfits that you assemble and wear in your life (based on WAYWT images). I doubt you could walk into a high end story in NYC and walk out with a Mailmoth outfit and that's one of the things I respect about what you wear. They show a person with varying preferences melded into one cohesive display that looks functional and personal. You obviously have a taste for contrast in textures and colors...that all shows personal style, which is another thing I like to see within an outfit. Your clothes fit you. Impeccably for the most part. So specifically with what you've posted here in terms of images and drop crotches, I see a world of difference from Eternal's single photo.
                            Those are some of the difference that separates what I respect vs. what at times seems to constitute 'consume and present.'
                            Anyone could, but not just anyone would. You have to have the desire and interest enough to do so, which already would set you apart from 99.9% of the anyones that have the means to do so. I think the same could be said for about 95% of the outfits posted here; anyone could walk into Atelier and walk out dressed like Christian, BSR, etc. but not just anyone does. I think we have to remember we're on a fashion forum here, and if you really want to judge a person's style, you have to either know the person or at least have seen enough video footage of them. I would say fashion/what we wear is only a small percentage of what makes up our personal style, so if I see a well composed outfit on a stiff/headless/anonymous body I can still say it looks good without having to go into the whole debate of authenticity/consumerism/ or having contextualize it in order to legitimize it. Feel free to disagree/discuss.
                            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• BSR
                              • Aug 2008

just to be clear, because i feel guilty for all this affair, my comment wasn't at all depreciative and i wasn't saying that you looked like you just got out of atelier, my point was more that i was struck by the resemblance of your silhouette here with a typical Karlo Steel look. And i don't imply that you have copied him or anyone else!
                              pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                              Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• JD_May
                                • Apr 2010

Day 3/7

Larger alt: http://i.imgur.com/5rmNq.jpg

Topic unrelated, I just got in a pair of Augusta side-zips that are too big for me but I can't post them in the Buy and Sell yet because I only have 60 some odd posts. They're about a size 45/12, stamped size 10. So I shall make this post an IC until I can make an actual thread.
                                In a perfect world you could fuck people without ever giving them a piece of your heart.
                                And every glittering kiss and every touch of flesh is another shard of heart you'll never see again.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎