X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by wire.artist
    I do have a whole yy suit made of noto jufu, most impressive hand ever, MBD saw it in Paris.

WIRE is back! I've got to back him up on this and give props to Yohji who was using the Notu Jofu from traditional producers 20 (?) years ago. Wire, my roomie in Paris, brought a good portion of his Yohji collection (read: massive) to Paris and you wouldn't believe it, but it was all so cleverly and modularly designed that it all fit in a small suitcase.

The noto jofu fabric of his vintage YY suit blew my mind - I have never felt anything so strong yet look so delicate in my many years dealing with The High Fashunz

Originally posted by wire.artist
    That's an impressive fit from MBD btw, I plan to work on that japanese traditional proportions this winter, I have this kimono like hooded robe that paired with a buttonless shawl collared coat or simple blazer it's channeling this idea. The robe is almost floor length and it's exactly the right kimono length for my height. I'll post some fits once it gets colder.
    Thanks for the kind words roomie. (Missed you in NYC!) The photo was not meant to be a fit so much as a simple example of how a contemporary jacket that bears much resemblance to the proportions and fabrics of a boro can be incorporated with an obi to interesting effect.

Note: I would never wear an entire kimono robe outdoors...the jacket is mid-length and I would wear something more contemporary, such as black jeans, to keep it from being too costume-y.

FYI - old kimono are easily purchased since, for reasons cultural and for lack of space, the Japanese don't like to keep old things around...unless they are $500 selvage levis.

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
      • Oct 2010

Back to more contemporary (as in 2000s) fits with a vintage Ann everything...

Ann D substantial silk top
      Ann D Viktor Skirt (2001)
      Ann D Triple Lace Boots

MBD
      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• tron
        • Dec 2010

Gorgeous outfit MBD
        I'd love to see how the skirt hangs naturally as well
        "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• chameleon
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by merz
          thought i'd offer a small clarification here. what i wrote was not in reference to notu jofu - the traditional japanese ramie - but rather the boro fabric recycling technique and its product, the field work clothing from northern japan, where cotton was, until the later part of the 1800s anyway, a precious commodity and linen/hemp were primarily used for work clothing of the sort. though i had known for some time that m.a+ was using traditional japanese fabrics and methods, i had only noticed his use of the boro technique in some garments some time after purchasing my own, which is a funny coincidence. i thought they incorporated quite well into a wardrobe firmly grounded in carpe-related things.
          Ah yeah, I realized that after I posted. Looked it up and saw that Noto is a region in Ishikawa ken, and joufu ("quality cloth", sort of) would just be hemp/linen/ramie/flax textile from that region. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying anyway, always fun to hear about these things, as well as in regards to some of the brands mentioned here.

^^Stunning, MBD.

edit: Love the soft draping of the skirt, Lumina. The whole thing looks good, I wish we could see it in better light! What are you wearing on top? Some asymmetric jacket? Can't really tell.
          Last edited by chameleon; 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

MBD, consistently killing it since 2010.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
              • May 2008

^I love the way MBD dresses, and think her taste is impeccable, but in this case I feel like the dress should have been paired with a different shoe. Maybe a bootie of some kind. I feel like the dress and boots are such beautiful statements on their own that they sort of compete for attention in the same fit.
              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• shah
                • Jul 2009

suckycamerawhateverfit

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                  ^I love the way MBD dresses, and think her taste is impeccable, but in this case I feel like the dress should have been paired with a different shoe. Maybe a bootie of some kind. I feel like the dress and boots are such beautiful statements on their own that they sort of compete for attention in the same fit.
                  yes, but there are those transcendental individuals that are just above reproach,.........
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Vanna
                    • May 2008

^I don't believe that, and I don't think MBD believes that. She seems like a pretty humble lady. And what is more transcendental than humility.
                    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

^I don't believe that, and I don't think MBD believes that. She seems like a pretty humble lady. And what is more transcendental than humility.
                      its not about whether, she or you believes that, or of there is any lack of humility..........its just a matter that it is.
                      anyone can believe that as human beings we don't breathe air..................a lack of belief doesn't make it so. the womans stlye is so good and she has such a good frame for clothing that she can make almost anything work together............and thats what it means to transcend the realm of reproach

Comment

• Vanna
                        • May 2008

^It was just an opinion. I'm sorry you took it as a personal affront. But, I'd rather you not mask your personal "Belief" that her style is above reproach as an absolute truth. Must have learned that in Sunday school.

This thread is for discussion, for learning, for fostering community and for igniting inspiration. Dissenting opinions are a part of that. I'm not going to censor myself just because I think I might offend someone who someone else thinks is above criticism. I know I'm certainly not.
                        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

why is there such an investment into what i say by you.........relax man, it aint no big deal

you hold your opinion, I hold my belief or whatever you wanna call it..............the Z mask nothing, and for the record, I keep sabbath, never been to Sunday School.........

^It was just an opinion. I'm sorry you took it as a personal affront. But, I'd rather you not mask your personal "Belief" that her style is above reproach as an absolute truth. Must have learned that in Sunday school.

This thread is for discussion, for learning, for fostering community and for igniting inspiration. Dissenting opinions are a part of that. I'm not going to censor myself just because I think I might offend someone who someone else thinks is above criticism. I know I'm certainly not.

Comment

• Vanna
                            • May 2008

^I'm perfectly alright. Keep on, Zamb!
                            Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

Did Zam edit his post? Cos your reaction to it seems pretty uncalled for. And for what it's worth, I do agree, MBD makes clothes look nice.
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• MikeN
                                • Nov 2007

all harnden everything. well, except for the augusta derbies.

alt

crotch shot

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎