X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Kirky View Post
    just sharing some info i learned from psychology textbook which i read yrs ago...
    LOL. well i suppose that settles the score!
    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• copacetic
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
      I would not go to a conservative friends wedding wearing one of my Drop Crotch suits.........I just wouldn't!
      And "When the prince has gathered about him
      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        i give a fuck what my wife thinks because if she hates it then i have to deal with her shit all the time. and i give a fuck what potential clients think because i'm trying to take their money. to kop more fashunz.

if i were single i would definitely care what women think. not every nite is the nite to find your soulmate that loves and accepts you for you. its no fun to be the best dressed guy sittin at the computer jerkin it
        Signature material alert
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
          • Aug 2008

its no fun to be the best dressed guy sittin at the computer jerkin it
          let's take it out of context and make it even better

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
            Endorphinz,

If it's the average American woman you're trying to impress, might I suggest some Ed Hardy t-shirts, some weathered, whiskered True Religion jeans, a comfortable pair of Affliction bootz and let yourself be heard!

Let's not trot off too far into hyperbole here. We're not peacocks strutting our feathers around exactly. I'm sure there's some kind of connection between that ritual and dressing but let's be reasonable.

I'd prefer that a girl be turned off by what a wear because it tells me that she may be judgmental and small minded. With what people wear, it's probably more of a defense than an offense. Like, 'If you see me and are attracted to me while I'm in a skirt, just think how much you'll like me when you see me in pantaloons."

You know, if you can get past the exterior, there's a real interior here that you will enjoy. But first you have to pass the very basic test of not being a typical middle-American female.
            I agree. And yet, there are those that are in the gray area. I think we can safely say we are not here to impress 18 year olds and their 40 year old moms from long island in matching juicy couture suits and uggs. And yet, I cannot honestly say that I completely don't care what others think, women included. Of course it's a touchdown when the woman you like loves the way you dress. And I am glad to have a woman in my life, lets me wear whatever the fuck I want and not care what others think.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheThief
              • Mar 2011

...or like me whose wife was wearing Theory and Tory Burch and came around to our style of dress - she is now on a diet of Rick, Ann, AF and Damir.

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

my wife wears j crew, uniqlo, APC and a bit of MMM and my wallet couldn't be happier

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

my sig other buys junk from 2nd hand shops and tailors them. Almost free.
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by merz
                    the only women i ever cared about were the ones that got this shit.
                    define care

i dunno. when it comes to women/dating/whatever, i think u might want to reevaluate this policy. its good to have priorities. and balance.

as an old married guy who will be with this one woman for the next 100 million years, i have never looked back at my life and thought "man, i wish i'd never slept with that hot girl from the club that was wearing gucci that one time. why didn't she hate tom ford? why?!?"

i cared the shit out of lots of girls that don't know carol poell from carol burnett and i don't regret it one tiny bit.

Last edited by cjbreed; 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM.
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Enaml
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Kirky View Post
                      ^ chill guys

why so serious?

Everyone is different.
                      We aren't here to judge who's statement/concept is right or wrong.

Some people might care what others think about what they're dressing because of their own personality or from past experience(traumatic events) which unconsciously effects our cognition of how to perceive information given by people or by the world.

Some people might not care what others think because they always get compliments from others(positive reinforcement) in their childhood or through out their life(good looking?). Or it's simply just their personality which is more socially independent that they don't really care even people offense their style that they can still be happy since they still get the things they want from people(love, respect, relationship, social position)

just sharing some info i learned from psychology textbook which i read yrs ago...

Cheers
                      Just to set the record straight, that's not entirely accurate. Most subsets of the field of psychology are in agreement that humans are born social beings. This trend continues throughout development and into adulthood. Yes, traumatic events or some form of conditioning (among other things) may inhibit social development causing an individual to reject traditional social interaction at one level or another. But by and large, this is not the case - humans thrive in the acceptance of others and seek positive reinforcement when available.

Relating this to fashion and how we dress is complicated, but the way I interpret it is that most people take to heart the opinions of others they respect or value. There may be some that derive satisfaction or pleasure from not caring about others' opinions whatsoever, but I feel that this is a very small minority.

None of this is to say that I think individuals seek acceptance from everyone, but I do think its difficult for one to live without any positive reinforcement.
                      How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                        my wife wears j crew, uniqlo, APC and a bit of MMM and my wallet couldn't be happier
                        youve convinced me

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

let me elaborate on this topic of counting people out if they don't "get this shit". i used to be this way about music. if they had bad taste in music, they were out. then i got a little older and a little more experienced. i learned that for some people, this just isn't really a passion. they don't have strong feelings on the matter one way or the other. and it might be worth it to overlook this little problem.

like one time i dated this girl and i was trying to get her to listen to something, i can't remember what, maybe guided by voices, and i was like "can't u see how awesome this is?" and she said "yeah. to you". and it kinda struck a chord with me. see, for her it just wasn't that important, she didn't have the background, exposure, experience etc. that i had that would lead me to think that this ultra lo-fi drunkard howling away in his kitchen is literally the best shit ever. but she had other good qualities that i was able to discover by giving her a pass on the music bit.

same thing happened years later i think i was playing the flaming lips and the girl said "i think this guy sold 2 records. one to you and one to his mom." it was so funny. well over time i gave her the exposure and experience she needed to "get it" and now she is converted and loves all sorts of different types of music. also i married her because she is that rare combo of funny AND beautiful lol...

when it comes to the wives and girlfriends not approving of what u wear i can just say that sometimes it takes an outside perspective to get u to see things more clearly. basically in my case she was telling me to leave the more extreme or avant garde pieces to the youngsters. i'm too old and not in the environment to look like i am playing dress up. or that i am caught up in something so "frivolous" as fashion. and even with that rule there is still plenty of stuff i love to fill my time and empty my wallet. her main offenders btw were rick owens trainers and drop crotch pants/shorts. and i get it.

tl;dr - don't take urself so seriously.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

i was the same way about music but you quickly find you won't have many friends as you get older if you try to maintain those stringent standards.

Comment

• CHRIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

it's kind of sad to think that there are people in their 30's (or 40's?) that still think this way

thank you cjbreed, for cracking the SZ veneer =)

Comment

• Enaml
                                • Apr 2009

tl;dr - don't take urself so seriously.
                                this
                                How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎