X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phiman
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
    Youre right!! Who does this guy think he is? We want moar SissyPees and MAs!!!

This IS meant to be taken personally AKA!!!

Your responses are plain ridiculous. Obviously you know AKA in person and therefore feel the need to defend him here (though I don't think there is a reason to do so). All I pointed out was the fact that if someone of "not so senior status" would post a fit with biker jeans, he would, mildly said, probably not get that much positive responses as AKA does.

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

aka - respect.

donde estas el cigarro pues.

I like the diversity. Not my bag but he does his thing...

cheers A
      Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by phiman View Post
        Your responses are plain ridiculous. Obviously you know AKA in person and therefore feel the need to defend him here (though I don't think there is a reason to do so). All I pointed out was the fact that if someone of "not so senior status" would post a fit with biker jeans, he would, mildly said, probably not get that much positive responses as AKA does.
        It ain't about "senior status."

AKA has "it."

"There are some people who, if they don't know, you can't tell 'em." - Louie Armstrong
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ But isn't this a much better way to phrase it?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
            • May 2008

AKA looks even more flossy in person. Trust.

Jil Sander virgin wool/camel hair coat
            YYPH shirt
            The Viridi Anne bag

Same as usual.
            Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DRRRK
              Next time, if there is one, i will say lose the cap, fannypack and half of the rings for only one reason, the presentation of too many obviously expensive items, which, and that should really show it's not personal, nobody can pull off for me. I just don't like it.
              thanks vanna.

i feel awkward using this as an example since i'm directly involved but for what it's worth i strongly believe that if everyone shared and worded their opinions in the genuinely constructive manner above sz - and especially waywt - would be a much better place.

the blunt ad hominem style of feedback that has recently permeated this thread and forum at large has created a trial-by-fire atmosphere that is enough to detract anyone in their right mind from sharing opinions much less posting photos for fear of ridicule.

some occasional flare-ups notwithstanding there was an incredible spirit of bonhomie when i first joined sz that inspired me and got me posting to an online forum for the first time in my life.

i can't imagine that anyone who would come here now as i once did - internet-shy and still discovering/developing a sense of personal style (which for me will always remain a work-in-progress) - would be compelled to participate in any meaningful way.

ironically i found the initial gangsta-hipsta comment flattering. it gave an admittedly funny name to a somewhat personal aesthetic that i have been very consciously developing.

nevertheless i find infinitely more worth in the far more elaborate, incisive, and conventionally respectful words above. these two sentences have not only told me something about drrrk - whose opinion i respect (whether or not i care for his approval) and whose company i suspect i'd enjoy in the real world - but also inspired me to consider whether leaving the hat or fanny pack behind would ultimately make this look more effective.

i'm left with food for thought: what would a drrrk-approved gangsta-hipsta look be?

this is what makes sz interesting and compelling and i think we should all push ourselves to keep the discourse at this level.
              Last edited by AKA*NYC; 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dantebykiko View Post
                That's his bloody opinion. He its not trying to be critic or something.
                thats terrible justification, you might as well consider it ok to tell someone they "look like shit", because its a "bloody opinion." His last response was a much better way of putting it, even if I don't agree with it. it can't be a surprise if snide remarks backfire, especially if they are directed at someone who has plenty of friends here.

edit: AKA beat me to it.. well put
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dantebykiko View Post
                  That's his bloody opinion. He its not trying to be critic or something.
                  a) In my opinion Yohji's early 90s menswear was pretty bad. That's an opinion I formed by watching his shows (something to back up my opinion, pretty strongly, I think). Yet it did not stop you from jumping down my throat for expressing it. Do I detect a hint of hypocrisy here?

b) No one was attacking DRRK's opinion, just his phrasing. (I too actually like gangsta-hipsta, it's clever. )

Funny thing, AKA, I think most people on SZ would get along in real life just fine.

PSA: I encourage new members to post their fits!

P.S. For those of you with ESL, "bonhomie" means "good homie."
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheThief
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by phiman View Post
                    Thank you for summing up my point (even though that was not your intention). New members, and old (myself included) dont post many fits because there is a contingent here on the forums who seem to keep refreshing the waywts just for the chance to totally skewer someone for what they post. It has created a negative environment that I'm sure puts off new members from posting at all. Not to mention the fact that now many members feel they should spew vitriol about certain brands just because they dont make the SZ "short-list".

Make real comments on the fits (like Drrrkss 2nd time around) and dont just shit on someone, old member or new.

If I'm honest (and let it be known right now that though I am involved in the magazine - here on the forums I am just another member) I am bored with what many of the "OG's" here post in the waywts. Members, who I wont name, post the same fits over and over and over and get nothing but love. They tend to be the same who are the first to jump in and pick apart other fits and display the most cruel behavior. I sit here and absolutely hate what they post and while I would love to call them on their hypocritical bullshit and crap fits, I choose to try and do my part to keep this a place that is positive and generally supportive and so I keep the hate to myself.

At the end of the day we are, for the most part, into the same asthetic. We share fashion, music, art and literature in common. Some of us like A$AP Rocky and others dispise him, some of us love Chrome Hearts, others cant stand the stuff - none of this should be reason enough to contribute nothing but negativity to this place. On this forum I have met many of people who I call best friends in real life, I have founded a business (as have many of you), I have discovered new brands, new music, new art and have even rediscovered myself to some extent. There is true value to this community and I think many of you need to realize that and just shut the fuck up.

Ahhh weekends in the waywts, gotta love 'em.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

AKA's hair is not luxurious

but in all seriousness i think thethief and aka's last two posts were some of the best i've read in a while. i feel the same way.

although, i don't mind some of the og's that post similar fits over and over. i still like them and i understand the idea od wearing a bit of a uniform. i find myself leaning that way at the moment actually
                      Last edited by cjbreed; 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM.
                      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• kuriz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
                        New members, and old (myself included) dont post many fits because there is a contingent here on the forums who seem to keep refreshing the waywts just for the chance to totally skewer someone for what they post.

I get what you're saying but isn't it interesting (and please do excuse me if some of the HOF comments were meant ironically) that some think that AKA*NYC's picture is HOF (this is actually the first one in a long time that I personally is not too fund of) while others argue that then SeptSeptSept's waywt just after would be much more suited for such a title?
                        Those are two members that I think contribute pretty often and in very different ways. And even though I'm not a big fan myself of 'a blazer look', I can still appreciate Sept's picture and think that it looks incredibly good on him.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        PSA: I encourage new members to post their fits!

I am - feeling still as quite a new member only contributed once to this thread, very happy that you (also after reading the long and interesting discussion in "what you like (and don't like) about SZ) write a comment like this. I posted my first waywt a few months ago and was very worried that people would hate it. They didn't, I got some very pleasant comments my way, but I am very certain that there was a bunch of people not commenting, sitting and thinking "dude looks terrible". But I guess putting yourself out there is just a part of it. Waywts is a place to get feedback and putting yourself out there in an environment that for the most part already appreciate the brands, but now get the opportunity to give you some constructive feedback isn't it?

Sorry if I completely missed something in this discussion but my point is: there have been a lot of very intelligent discussion that I could never even dream of commenting in because I would honestly have no clue. But even new members know the SZ "short-list" brands (as it was put), that is why most of them are here and that is what binds us together. So what I want to say to everyone that is in doubt of whether to post waywts: please do contribute, as long as you put some thought into the look and feel good wearing it, it's always good for inspiration to hear what others have to say. - I will post my second fit very soon and can't wait to hear what people have to say the second time.

Comment

• schemedream
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                          nothing looks better than intention and confidence.
                          i really like aka's fits for those reasons. he knows what he's doing and he's doing it. angentL in ccp on a ducati comes to mind as well when i think of badassery with clear intent. we need more of that instead of people buying $4k suits to look unsure of themselves and ask if their $3k boots look like they fit.
                          I couldn't agree more. That's the mystique behind 'swag' or whatever you wanna call it. It's understanding that one might or might not accept what you are trying to portray, but having the balls to pull it off anyway.

Comment

• francojean23
                            • Sep 2008

I agree with the comments against the requirement of "newness" that pervades this thread. I revel in both refining and watching the refinement of a look or outfit, paying close attention to the subtle changes in detail and nuance. As the creativity, for most of us, lies in the composition rather than the design of the garments themselves, to me, it's more interesting to see how the clothes are put together differently each time. This constitutes an experimentation in composition rather than an experimentation in garment. The latter, I think, is increasingly common here, where a piece is worn in one particular way which ends up not being great, and instead of exploring the possibilities, the piece is dismissed and replaced.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I don't think there were any "requirements" set. But, I agree with Eternal that quality should be the final criterion.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

Speaking to the quality point:

If you are yourself unsure about a fit or specific photo, don't post.

From my own limited experience, it may be you getting a know a piece, which with some crazy garments can take a few wears, or it may be a sign that you're not meant to be wearing it, period.

Until you've sorted this in your own head, there's no way you're going to own the garments from within the way HOFers consistently do.

There's a role for such "questions" but I see people asking highly specific fit advice as better suited to the small questions thread. "Does this work for me?...I'm on the fence" is naturally going to attract invective alongside beautifully-photographed fits, the wearer of which carries nary such doubts.
                                I am not who you think I am

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎