X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Eternal
    I don't care if people are "bored" of what someone posts as it's not new and refreshing as long as it's good. Does it really have to be new all the time? I thought other things than being new for the sake of being new was being valued on SZ.
    i certainly agree with this and i think most - if not all - others here as well. one attribute that the majority of designers we discuss on sz share is a longstanding commitment to a clear aesthetic goal. this manifests itself in their products which are often the result of the careful refinement or reworking of an idea season after season. this is the reason we appreciate them and can readily identify them as the work of an author without some of the superficial trappings of overt branding that exist in other areas of fashion.

Comments like "We want moar SissyPees and MAs!!!" might seem funny, and fitting to some extent. But it also tries to degenerate the value of these designers, and the reason for why they're being highly valued ( among other designers).
    i wholly see your point here but i think the comment was made off the cuff - as is evident in its verbiage - and i don't think the author of the comment intended it quite the way you read it. i also think that comments like this will cease to exist altogether if we simply respect each other in this thread and on this forum.

I personally like to believe ( they used to by some of these "senior members" at least) that they were valued for reasons you can understand by reading through the CCP thread ( I encourage people to actually do so, not only look at the pics this time).
    i don't think anything has changed. i for one engaged - as recently as yesterday - in a stimulating hour plus long discussion about a pair of carol christian poell gloves and how they as a single object are almost a complete distillation of the ideas that inform his "dead end" body of work.

I don't mind people appreciating CH to the same extent, and I hope they do. Even Balmain or Givenchy if they're able to, but I don't really understand who they can evaluate the work ( not the history of the houses, the current work) at the same level.
    this is a great topic for discussion and one i would love to see appear somewhere on sz. in general i think a different critical lens (or methodology) needs to be applied when considering these brands and their products but there are a few points of intersection with the brands we discuss on sz. however i have found plenty of interest in the three brands above and think there is room on sz to discuss them as long as others are equally interested and certainly not at the expense of other fruitful discussion.

I think it's a sign that what is currently going on in this category of fashion is not good enough when people who used to appreciate the ethos of the designers who created a whole new genre in mens fashion are now starting to dress more ironically. Too me irony can be fun, but is in this sense more of a sign of boredom and self-defence.
    yes and no

Each to his own, but I for once only find the whole dark street wear trend hilarious. This could have been a good look, but it's about nothing but signaling status and ballerness as usual with hip hop.It's just as shallow as what SZ tried to fight against. So please, if this place needs more ASAP, more SWAG, more Balmain, Givenchy and BALLINCIAGA I'm going to take my PYREX elsewhere.
    i view the dark streetwear movement as a distinctly american analogue to the european streetwear movement that encapsulates brands such as stone island, acronym, and even aitor throup who seems like a more evolved product of these ideas. european streetwear has a much longer history and is far more evolved than its american counterpart which is still in its infancy. give it some time to grow and it may surprise you.

i think there is room on sz to discuss all of the above as long as the discussion is heartfelt, meaningful, and respectful.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
      Speaking to the quality point:

If you are yourself unsure about a fit or specific photo, don't post.

From my own limited experience, it may be you getting a know a piece, which with some crazy garments can take a few wears, or it may be a sign that you're not meant to be wearing it, period.

Until you've sorted this in your own head, there's no way you're going to own the garments from within the way HOFers consistently do.

There's a role for such "questions" but I see people asking highly specific fit advice as better suited to the small questions thread. "Does this work for me?...I'm on the fence" is naturally going to attract invective alongside beautifully-photographed fits, the wearer of which carries nary such doubts.

with all due respect.

[shakes head]

Jesus fuckin Christ ( bad day for the reference?). it's a fuckin pic on the Internet. not a life defining experience. me thinks some take this shit wayyyy too seriously.

again, I suspect that most wear clothes everyday anyway and are "judged" daily by people who can actually impact their lives
      [/shakes head]

one post talks about swag & confidence and the next talks about "being sure"

I subscribe to the Nike school
      JUST DO IT

Comment

• lost53
        • Dec 2010

"i view the dark streetwear movement as a distinctly american analogue to the european streetwear movement that encapsulates brands such as stone island, acronym, and even aitor throup who seems like a more evolved product of these ideas. european streetwear has a much longer history and is far more evolved than its american counterpart which is still in its infancy. give it some time to grow and it may surprise you."

AKA, Europe does have some claims, especially in the sartorial world. But a longer history of "streetwear" than the USA, that's simply not true.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
          • Mar 2009

It all depends how you categorise/define "street wear".
          merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
            JUST DO IT
            I don't think the above motto will cut it on SZ, nor should it. It's a place for quality, whether in discussion or in fits.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
              AKA, Europe does have some claims, especially in the sartorial world. But a longer history of "streetwear" than the USA, that's simply not true.
              maybe my choice of words was inappropriate. perhaps "techwear" is better to represent the european movement i'm referring to. also i think the country of manufacture isn't wholly significant since there are many examples of cultural exports (music, clothing, etc.) that take root in a geographical region other than where they originate. i don't profess to be an authority on this and i hope others can chime in.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I agree in a sense that brands like SI/CP Company have quite a long history.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  I don't think the above motto will cut it on SZ, nor should it. It's a place for quality, whether in discussion or in fits.
                  i understand your point but i question anyone's priorities who is more concerned about "what they wears on sz" than they are about what they werar to work, or play, everyday.

JMO

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                    i understand your point but i question anyone's priorities who is more concerned about "what they wears on sz" than they are about what they werar to work, or play, everyday.

JMO
                    I don't understand how you inferred this comparative concern you mention from my post.

Filtering what one chooses to wear/share with the public (whether it be in "real life" or on here) is good step to take. Whether one applies more scrutiny to what they post on here or more to what they wear in front of their "real life" panel of judges you reference is entirely up to them. I suspect it would be a function of how much they cared about the judgment of either audience. I in no way made any kind of ordinal assumptions in this regard in the advice I gave, and I'll stick by it.
                    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Czx
                      • Feb 2011

In no way a proper WAYWT.

So, how is your spring coming along?
                      néant
                      Last.FM paranoia
                      Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                      0 > ∞

Comment

• endorphinz
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                        I don't understand how you inferred this comparative concern you mention from my post.

Filtering what one chooses to wear/share with the public (whether it be in "real life" or on here) is good step to take. Whether one applies more scrutiny to what they post on here or more to what they wear in front of their "real life" panel of judges you reference is entirely up to them. I suspect it would be a function of how much they cared about the judgment of either audience. I in no way made any kind of ordinal assumptions in this regard in the advice I gave, and I'll stick by it.
                        of course, deciding on the relative importance of either audience is personal. hence the reiteration of my position of questioning anyone who would value a virtual audience above a real one.....but hey,wtf do i know?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Where is Waldo? Short, without a hat, and in gray.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Crowzer
                            • Feb 2011

Nice picture !
                            SZ boys band.

Comment

• Alseal
                              • Dec 2012

the white shoes are catchy!

Comment

• blowdown
                                • Feb 2011

^ haha great pic... guy looks sad and outcast-ed....

length of pants + white shoes is something special

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎