X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I remember mrbeuys telling me an anecdote in which he asked if he should tone his look down ahead of a client meeting and he was indeed encouraged to do the opposite because he is in a creative industry and he was kind of expect to look unordinary. So, yes, context definitely matters.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

don't worry, everyone will grow up one day. I'm in a J.Crew ludlow fucking suit today for god's sake

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
      so....at first i was going offer a snarky reply, like...no i don't need approval from my wife because i get plenty from yours...or something rude like that. then i decided to just let it ride, as you didn't really get what i was saying and clearly have a pretty naive understanding of marriage. and humor.

but, now i decided to offer a more constructive reply, since there is no "wives reactions to your clothes" thread. and things are moving a bit slowly round here these days. so, why not.

this goes for me and likely for a lot of others around here that are perhaps a little older and in serious or committed relationships. she is not just my wife, she's my best friend, and has my best interests at heart.

i am closer to 40 than 30. i live in one of the most conservative cities in one of the most conservative states in america, and therefore worldwide. i am a business owner in a conservative male dominated industry. i sell directly to the public. the entire public. good ole boys, southern baptists, republicans. i am responsible for a lot of people. i do not live in rome or paris or nyc, and i am not a dj or creative director or stylist or musician. so, it is not necessarily wise for me to dress in full on rick owens complete with drop crotch and leggings, no matter how cool it looks or how much i like it. that is if i want to make a living and be taken seriously by my clients.

there is such a thing as dressing appropriately. not just indulging your impulses. it is a good idea to dress age appropriate, according to your body type, and according to your position in life, personally and professionally.

it is not important enough to me to wear head to toe rick if it puts other things that are also important to me at risk. just to have "fun". if wearing drop crotch shorts and rick owens trainers costs me a deal, that i need in order to feed my family, then i fucked up. i am irresponsible. i am acting like a child, not like a man.

sometimes i need my wife to remind me of these things. and thank god i have her. i'd sell my entire wardrobe just to spend an afternoon with her if she asked me to. and believe me, you would too.

and it doesn't really bother me. there are so many other things that i also love to wear that i don't really feel slighted, or like i'm missing out, if some of the more progressive, stylized, or avant garde pieces are off limits to me. i enjoy finding a balancing act between what is expected of me and what i really like. my style is a toned down version of the edgier, harder look. thats all

sorry for the rant, but i'm kind of interested in what some others might have to say about this topic...

Comment

• morsto
        • Nov 2008

While you can't do big law and wall st. jobs while wearing spirals and gloved invis-stitch leather jackets, I would imagine that in one of these creative jobs, you would be expected to be somewhat "funky", i.e. you would still have to dress in a way that lives up to peoples expectation of what one of them creative types look like. Granted, that gives a broader selection of clothes available compared to just suiting up, but there is still an element of uniform(ity) present.
        I'm lucky(?) to be an academia where genuinely no one gives a flying fuck what I wear (not even myself), hence I can dick up or bum out, whatever.
        I think people need to start disassociating suiting up with being grown up and/or successful, especially in the states it seems every one whose occupation resembles white-collar is wearing a bad suit looking like an cheap insurance salesman.
        I do not recognise the vessel,
        but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I think we'd need to also break up what a "creative type" means. Cause if we are talking graphic designers, aren't they expected to look like young Swedes?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
            if wearing drop crotch shorts and rick owens trainers costs me a deal, that i need in order to feed my family, then i fucked up. i am irresponsible. i am acting like a child, not like a man.

sometimes i need my wife to remind me of these things. and thank god i have her. i'd sell my entire wardrobe just to spend an afternoon with her if she asked me to. and believe me, you would too.
            Well said man!

The importance here is a knowledge of what is personal style. My Cuban grandfather said "it's not the expensive clothes that make the man, it's how rich his 'estilo entero' is.."

I worked as a personal stylist for a few years and had the opportunity to style all walks of life from all professions. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what it is you wear, if it distracts from who you are as a person or a professional, it will always be perceived as theatrical and you will not be taken seriously no matter what field of work you are in. On the other hand, if what you wear coincides with your personal style and magnifies your natural essence, then you can pretty much execute what you will, wooing the world like the Pied Piper, feather in cap with flute and followers in tow and take everyone straight to the bank.
            Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• olethomas
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I think we'd need to also break up what a "creative type" means. Cause if we are talking graphic designers, aren't they expected to look like young Swedes?
              well the cliché is actually mostly correct at least for norwegian graphic designers which all seems to be infected by acne (no pun intended)

if i for example would dress a ccp uniform on a group of people in a special profession i'd probably say either tinsmiths or butchers (or is that also a cliché?)

Comment

• rider
                eyes of the world
                • Jun 2009

what does a young swede graphic designer wear today?

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

the ones I've worked with wear Acne, APC, Kitsune, Pierre Hardy, NN07...

it's like the american heritage prep movement but more clean and tidy
                  Originally posted by Shucks
                  it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    Imagine taking your wife’s/husband’s views into account in what you wear! The shame!

As another CJ might have said (and this is really for a pretty niche market, and definitely also for those who are nearer 40 than 30, or indeed beyond), I didn’t get where I am today by wearing drop crotch sweatpants.

maybe some of us don't want to be where you are...

Comment

• eleven crows
                      • Mar 2011

Some don't want to be where he is, myself among them, but you don't expect to work in a law firm with the liberty of wearing Rick on the job.

However, if you'd like to be a pick-up aritst (ask HWith) you can dress however you like.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        of course not, but wasn't he just explaining his reasoning and point of view? if your life gives you the opportunity to dress however you want to without taking other people, different situations, environment etc into consideration, thats cool.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• stemcell
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                          don't worry, everyone will grow up one day. I'm in a J.Crew ludlow fucking suit today for god's sake
                          I'm not saying, I'm just saying.... this is WAYWT, and ur supposed to post fit pics and I wanna see.

Comment

• destroymebaby
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by rider View Post
                            what does a young swede graphic designer wear today?
                            This outfit:

Paired with this attitude:
                            The morning is not enough.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                              it was a joke for fucks sake. i did say it was niche though. look up reginald perrin, CJisms. there's probably one there about leather caps too.

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

I wear Rick frequently at work but for an svp position it is really kind of necessary to put on a more staid client costume now and again. I am a creative but still a business man asking clients to entrust me with a lot of their money.

QUOTE=olethomas;420804]well the cliché is actually mostly correct at least for norwegian graphic designers which all seems to be infected by acne (no pun intended)

if i for example would dress a ccp uniform on a group of people in a special profession i'd probably say either tinsmiths or butchers (or is that also a cliché?)[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎