• nvsnli
      • Mar 2013

Cool fit TheNotoriousT.

I see Faust have visited Finland.

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

Originally posted by Lois Grüveltner View Post
        Upsilonkng, I almost always agree with you - you always put down what a lot of us are thinking but not this time.
        I lived thru the 90's and it was a great decade, both music and fashion wise!.. - Maybe the last period that managed to develop and create its own identity before everything got so easy and, well, pointless..
        i think because of the age gap, ur teenage years are always going to be most influential, my teens were the late 80's so while people think harshly of the late 80's i think fondly of them. of course there was amazing things in the 90's as well, aphex twin comes to mind, the indie rock scene, sonic youth actually on tv, shudder to think touring w/ smashing pumpkins, beefheart reissues, faust reissues, Fahey still alive etc.. it's probably more the style i'm talking about which we're knee deep now, which is groungy and girls w/ their acid wash high waisted denim shorts w/ the pockets flapping out ,big logo'd shirts, sweatshirts,and jungle fever spike lee era colors coming back in full force. these are all things i think once is more than enough.

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

re. shorts - everything can be associated with something else. i think it's lazy to stop at comparing these shorts to 90's adidas or whatever just because they happen to have two stripes on the side and look oversized. i'm fine with the association, i just thought we had slightly more interest in/knowledge of design here...

they seriously need to be tried on and worn to be understood. completely different sensation in wearing, than any other shorts i own. the stiffness of the gabardine combined with the extreme width of the legs, makes it a very unusual experience. (nothing at all like pods, which i'm a bit bored with wearing. been going for the short S/S ones all summer instead).

and i love the cut: super wide but still with a drop. the silhouette really changes with the observer's perspective and how your legs move. and if they give me any associations at all, it's to kendo.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

To each their own and they certainly aren't bad shorts, but there certainly is a strong OG streetwear connection going on with those shorts as with many of Rick's other shorts/sportwear influenced work.

We can wax romantic about anything from CCP clothing "shaping the way you sit/stand/walk" to RO shorts that are elastic waisted and cut generously. Harkens back to the oft-used "anti-fit" that was used as an excuse for shit cuts and high price tags.

The converse to any talk in these realms can be summed up with (in the case of CCP) "its uncomfortable to wear" or with Rick "it's loose fitting aside from the waist."

I enjoy the basket swingers I wear quite often... what I like most is that I don't have to think about an outfit when I reach for them and that they're comfortable.
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

nah man, these are nothing like basket swingers to wear. trust me.

i guess i'm just missing some more in depth/detailed discussions on design here other than 'cool fit' or just blurting out whatever associations spring to mind at first when seeing a (admittedly crappy) photo. sure, i guess we can call something 90's-inspired and be done with that. but how's that much better than saying "hey, all black clothing is goth".. it's almost as reductive and just as uninteresting to me.

or do we want to reduce our understanding/categorization of every garment ever down to a choice between either 'tight' or 'loose'? it would definitely make life simpler. but maybe we can do better than that..

especially someone like u chinorlz, who i know have real technical skills, would be interesting to hear comment on the actual cuts and construction of things more often. (i know ur a busy guy...). i wish there were more posters like that here - we've lost some good ones...

admittedly, crappy iphone photos may not really be conducive to good discussion, so maybe it's my bad, in the end.

Comment

• apathy!
                • Jan 2014

I think they fit well with Rick's aesthetic. But denying that they are biting 90s sportswear is futile.

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

i'm not denying anything. that's not my point.

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

idk i like them and i also liked moody quite a bit . the 2 white stripes are pleasing to the eye for me . i didnt make any connections to early 90s stuff but that sorta music was absolutely NOT what i was into .
                    i thought about buyin those shorts too but i went with some slp instead hehe , ima try them on if barneys has em

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

Sheesh, every outfit is so controversial anymore. I was curious about the movement on those shorts. The Faun shorts had great movement to them as the models walked, I wondered if those were at all similar. My favorite Rick bottoms seem to come to life when the wearer does. Or I guess favorite clothing in general.
                      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                        ima try them on if barneys has em
                        i'm thinking you will love them. good to have u back here, btw. don't leave.

Comment

• jogu
                          • Jun 2009

thanks mang , preciate it . ive been spending a lot of time in this burb called lake forest where my friends dad has a boat , fishing and sailing every week and squeezing out the last bits of summer activities . i notice its already dark by 730pm though so i been looking forward to wearin some heavier layers again .

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post

i guess i'm just missing some more in depth/detailed discussions on design here other than 'cool fit' or just blurting out whatever associations spring to mind at first when seeing a (admittedly crappy) photo. sure, i guess we can call something 90's-inspired and be done with that. but how's that much better than saying "hey, all black clothing is goth".. it's almost as reductive and just as uninteresting to me.

or do we want to reduce our understanding/categorization of every garment ever down to a choice between either 'tight' or 'loose'? it would definitely make life simpler. but maybe we can do better than that..

especially someone like u chinorlz, who i know have real technical skills, would be interesting to hear comment on the actual cuts and construction of things more often. (i know ur a busy guy...). i wish there were more posters like that here - we've lost some good ones...

admittedly, crappy iphone photos may not really be conducive to good discussion, so maybe it's my bad, in the end.

Hey thanks for the kind words :) Really appreciate it!

I haven't checked out the pair you're wearing or any of the current season shorts but the pods I've had in the past have been well constructed and the basket swingers that i wear are very well made.

Good stitchwork, nice fabric choices and complementary combinations (mine has a black full lining with a very faintly see-through gray outer layer). Holds up nicely with pretty regular wear as well without any pilling.

In general the construction and shape of his shorts are always nice and comfortable with a generous cut through the crotch and thigh. It's a clever balance as for some of the designs like the basket swingers you don't get the "dumpy" seat like with the pods but the crotch and legs are dropped together so you still get a distinct "shorts" look a-la basketball shorts (presumably where the name in part comes from) but with a total width (edge of pants to edge of pants) still being somewhat narrow so you get the slimming, elongated silhouette while not needing to make each leg hole/thigh width too narrow as to be tight.

On a completely different note, NASA had brought one of their space suits over to the research space where I spend some of my time to run it through our dyna-CT for imaging testing and I got to examine it up close... surprisingly the stitches per inch is not that high at all for something that is supposed to protect you for the temperatures and vacuum of space. The complexity and the layers of fabrics and the integration of it into fully rotating metal linkages was fascinating. Garment construction on a whole 'nother level!
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Dorje
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post

Good point, everything is derivative to some degree. That fit may be moreso than many, but it's not what defines it imo.

It reminds me of one of my friends who makes the worst associations with things... i.e. my Kubaraum sunglasses "Are you cosplaying Harry Potter? Are you going to carry around a magic wand too?" My new orange and black mt bike "It's like... a Halloween bike".

Comment

• upsilonkng
                                • May 2010

everything starts somewhere and it's impossible not to have any association unless ur a pure scientist or an idiot. I think most of the things we like, jackets, pants, shorts, boots have precedent since we didn't invent liking clothes or wearing it, what I think Rick does and some of my other favorite designers do w/ some is quite hard, they make the best version of it , at least in my mind, CCP makes the best looking derbies in the world, I care not for derbies but I own a pair of ccp derbies because they elevate the stupid ass derbies to something I want. Rick used to make some of the best things, these shorts and a lot in ss15 I think fall so far from that that in my mind they're worse than the muse. Would I pay $900 for some shitty adidas knock offs.. fuck no, but if u handed me the $900 version and the shitty 90's adidas version which version would I rather wear.. still the 90's adidas because like I said I think these are worse than the inspiration which is why the beginning of the end of Rick's reign is upon us.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎