Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apathy!
    • Jan 2014

I think Rick's interpretations are too left-field and obscure to really be called "the best", if you're talking about classic garments.

Comment

• LelandJ
      Banned
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      and i love the cut: super wide but still with a drop. the silhouette really changes with the observer's perspective and how your legs move. and if they give me any associations at all, it's to kendo.

Comment

• fncyths
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
        Rick used to make some of the best things, these shorts and a lot in ss15 I think fall so far from that that in my mind they're worse than the muse... which is why the beginning of the end of Rick's reign is upon us.

Originally posted by Shucks
        it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
        Originally posted by interest1
        I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

^ I see you've found a pic of Rick with his "Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?" face.
          sain't

Comment

• LelandJ
            Banned
            • Apr 2014

^^
            Has an air of crucifixion?

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

^ yeah this article came out today. have an unsettling feeling it's the begging of the end...
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

lol no it isn't.

Comment

• LelandJ
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2014

He hasn't learned to speak French after a decade?

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                    ^ yeah this article came out today. have an unsettling feeling it's the begging of the end...
                    I feel like I have read this article a million times. "Breaking News! Rick Owens not as scary as he might seem!"
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                      He hasn't learned to speak French after a decade?
                      I will never get the arrogance to ignore the language of the country they chose to live in. It's just disrespectful.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                        I will never get the arrogance to ignore the language of the country they chose to live in. It's just disrespectful.
                        In Rick's defense, he doesn't have to. He leads a very regimented personal life, and for work all companies of this caliber have international staff and use English as default choice for company communication.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
                          • Aug 2009

It should be his and everbody's own interest, independent from if you have to or don't. To carry an English speaking bubble around yourself is still ignorant.

Edit: this is not meant to lead to a discussion, just an opinion. Carry on.
                          Last edited by DRRRK; 08-28-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                            I haven't checked out the pair you're wearing or any of the current season shorts but the pods I've had in the past have been well constructed and the basket swingers that i wear are very well made.
                            yeah i don't really get how ppl say rick is/has become shit quality across the board. i think if you go for the basics, you'll get basic quality, but there are also some amazing seasonal fabrics and interesting new cuts/garments that are carefully constructed, if you have the money for it or know where to look.

In general the construction and shape of his shorts are always nice and comfortable with a generous cut through the crotch and thigh. It's a clever balance as for some of the designs like the basket swingers you don't get the "dumpy" seat like with the pods but the crotch and legs are dropped together so you still get a distinct "shorts" look a-la basketball shorts (presumably where the name in part comes from) but with a total width (edge of pants to edge of pants) still being somewhat narrow so you get the slimming, elongated silhouette while not needing to make each leg hole/thigh width too narrow as to be tight.
                            i like your input here. the main difference with the 'big shorts' i suppose is exactly this 'total width' which u mention. they are wiiiide... like two massive cylinders that meet almost the whole way along their sides (the drop is deep)...

as for general quality, i still hate those fucking L-shaped seams on pods (and other garments), since they make the fabric rip very easily. i wish he would use a curved seam instead.

NASA had brought one of their space suits over to the research space where I spend some of my time to run it through our dyna-CT for imaging testing and I got to examine it up close... surprisingly the stitches per inch is not that high at all for something that is supposed to protect you for the temperatures and vacuum of space.
                            maybe to avoid the risk of tearing of the fabric when it is under duress?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

^ I agree that the sharp angle seam of the pod crotch, although brought up and forward as to not be truly at the center base (like it is on standard jeans) is suboptimal. My judgment on it may be biased in terms of performance and wear because I was a bit more careful after reading about it on here.

It is possible that NASA has gone with a lower stitchcount for that reason but they are wide wide and certainly could have doubled it without much fabric compromise. Eh, who knows. Lots of interesting stories from the heyday of NASA in the 60s though and how they brought in Playtex bra sewers to construct the space suits :)
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• pilgrim
                                • Apr 2014

Last edited by pilgrim; 12-11-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎