Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

i actually LOVE shuit's post above - i wish more people on this site were as skilled and conscious about styling and form theory, and willing to discuss it. general "sick fit, bro" comments are fucking useless, to be honest. but i guess that's how you can tell the difference between someone who works with esthetics/design and someone who is just a consumer...

oh and that 2012 dior collection was actually pretty cool. this look is nice as well - though i guess this is what u mean by 1/4 leg length, shuit?

and another nice one (fw 2011) - same length as casem's, though maybe the drapey-ness of it makes it a less pronounced A-shape:
    Last edited by Shucks; 12-26-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by grapefruitpop View Post
      That might be a too scientific approach to fashion (art).
      No, it's the exactly the stuff at the core of SZ. We used to have more of these types of discussions. Personal style does not appear out of ether - it has to be taught and learned.

Thanks shuit!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
        i actually LOVE shuit's post above - i wish more people on this site were as skilled and conscious about styling and form theory, and willing to discuss it. general "sick fit, bro" comments are fucking useless, to be honest. but i guess that's how you can tell the difference between someone who works with esthetics/design and someone who is just a consumer...
        I agree. Cheers shuit, bringing quality to the thread with both fits and discussion.
        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• other_animals
          • Mar 2012

Happy Post Holidays! Hope y'all still fit into your pants. (I barely do)

From some last minute Christmas shopping a couple of days ago.

Shacket- Taichi Murakami
          Sweater- LUC
          T- L'Maltieri
          Pant- MA+
          Boot- Good ol Guidis

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by other_animals View Post
            From some last minute Christmas shopping a couple of days ago.

Shacket- Taichi Murakami
            Sweater- LUC
            T- L'Maltieri
            Pant- MA+
            Boot- Good ol Guidis
            I am going to make this as analytical and constructive as possible, so it does not seem like I've been waving the hatchet against the artisanal-gone-normcore invasion of WAYWT indiscriminately and in the spirit of shuit's great post, and I hope you (and others) will take it as such.

First, very few people (like Shucks) get away with taking a good phone shot that represents how they look. This, and your other shots, are both taken at a bad angle and low sharpness. It does you no favors. Sometimes, you may think you are wearing something good but cannot take a good photo of it, don't. Case in point, my own outfit today. Looked great in the mirror but I could not capture it well, so I left the photo on my hard drive - it's not worth sharing.

But, there is enough to see the outfit itself. First, the colors do not only look bad in themselves but they also don't match. I don't understand the blue jeans, and though it's a road well-traveled, I'll address it in the spirit of constructive criticism - they are too wide and their shade is too jarring. If you insist on wearing blue jeans, maybe get a pair of raw denim?

The brownish tint of the rest of your (presumably) gray outfit is taking it squarely into GQ-casual-Friday territory, which is especially evident in your footwear, coupled with the aforementioned blue jeans.

The jacket is probably nice upclose, but again here it looks simply bland with that shirt collar and those buttons.

LUC is already the normcore of SZ - it has to be paired very carefully. I wore an LUC black sweater today, but it was a layer under the BBS wool vest lined in leather, which gave it a nice contrast. As you present it, again, it looks rather bland.

Lastly, perhaps the ring on each finger was meant to provide an edge to the rather uneventful outfit, but its ordinariness makes their contrast jarring.

In general, the same question must be asked - why do people purchase these brands in order to style them together into rather bland wardrobes? I've always thought that these very expensive items provide the wearer with something out of the ordinary, but the normcore way several WAYWT contributors have been presenting them lately, I have to doubt either that assumption or the purchaser's motives.

Again, I hope the above is taken as constructive criticism.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• shuit
              • Apr 2012

no worries sz, I am glad I could help.. and yes Shuck, that's exactly what I meant by 1/4 of the legs (shin). It's more subtle comparing to the cape that end exactly at the knee. But it still project a very nice silhouette, just not as dramatic. Dior's 11/12 really did nailed it on the proportion. But again, those models are really tall with broad shoulder, so most A line usually look great on them.

I also forget to mention too that any outerwear with expose buttons do also affect greatly on proportion. So if you're unsure about the length of any outerwear/shirt it's always nice to go with one that have hidden placket, it trick the eyes.
              Last edited by shuit; 12-26-2014, 05:24 PM. Reason: Thanks Shuck! It's shin haha I am still trying to learn more English :P

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                In general, the same question must be asked - why do people purchase these brands in order to style them together into rather bland wardrobes? I've always thought that these very expensive items provide the wearer with something out of the ordinary, but the normcore way several WAYWT contributors have been presenting them lately, I have to doubt either that assumption or the purchaser's motives.

i've been thinking about this kind of thing a bit every now and then - about how there are some fairly incongruous preferences represented here on sz.

obviously, the stuff i like personally is pretty brash - loud volumes (!), shapes, lines, silhouettes... the garments are dialed-up enough to even be decipherable in my shitty iphone photos (site deserves better though tbh). nothing about these items is very sophisticated or discrete...

then there's the other end of the spectrum - artisanal garments in classic shapes, all about the details and quality of materials. i really think crap photos that would work (kind of) for a rick silhouette, don't work for artisanal garments that completely lose their magic when not experienced in person or carefully represented visually.

that said, i am just as nonplussed as faust about why some people on sz prefer to stick to a conservative look consisting of artisanal clothing that could be styled so much more expressively. but i guess it's more a matter of what/how much direction the site should have, since the general populace outside sz doesn't really use clothing as a creative outlet either...

as for other_animals photo above - what makes it 'bland' to me is:

1. that all the garments are loose-fitting in a similar way so there is no real contrast or shape,
                2. there are no lengths or lines that break with the standard proportions of the human body which also means no point of interest, and
                3. that the garment colors are neither similar enough nor contrasting enough to create any chromatic interest (possibly the blue...).

basically, there is nothing in the look for the eye to focus on, meaning that the result is perceived as uninteresting. but perhaps that was the goal? in that case using the term 'normcore' would be appropriate... (though then also with an element of humble-bragging with artisanal garments / listing brands...).

Originally posted by shuit View Post
                no worries sz, I am glad I could help.. and yes Shuck, that's exactly what I meant by 1/4 of the legs (chin). It's more subtle comparing to the cape that end exactly at the knee. But it still project a very nice silhouette, just not as dramatic. Dior's 11/12 really did nailed it on the proportion. But again, those models are really tall with broad shoulder, so most A line usually look great on them.
                thanks shuit. look forward to discussing styling choices in this way with you also in the future.

ps. i assume u mean 'shin' and not 'chin'... ;)
                Last edited by Shucks; 12-26-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

well, i'll speak for myself only, but i think that sometimes its a matter of whats best for me in my life and whats best for SZ in terms of its original intentions and its position in fashion media, etc. are not always the same thing.

but on the other hand, just because i can't do it everyday i still love it and i want to participate in it.

and then there's the sense i get that hell even at my most half assed i feel like my contribution in whatever manner is going to be better than much of the shitposting and pre-school geobasket kopping inanity i see. so i do it.

also, there is enjoyment to be had in looking deceptively normcore in totally rad artisanal garments in the manner that carpe diem and post carpe labels (as well as ccp) can provide. its a chance for me to engage with fellow non-fashion obsessed grown ups while still casually indulging my private pleasure. i can be among them, but not of them.

all of the pieces other-animals is wearing are very very cool, even if he is the only one in his world that knows it. does that make for killer editorial content, especially when photographed with a potato? no, not really. but its still awesome. except for the rings, thats too much. one or two is fine. hehe

so, i guess the question is still: its right for me, but is it right for SZ? a normcore look is acceptable for me if the garments themselves are worthy of further inspection. what do you think? and is another question this: is it better than nothing? is it better than rick by the numbers oh sweet check out my new dunks?
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• other_animals
                    • Mar 2012

Faust et al. I really appreciate the thoughtful feedback, and I am among you in the sentiment that a thoughtful deconstruction of an outfit is more warranted than another sick fit bro. :) I don't usually set out to take a photo of myself and usually just take a snap when it is convenient. I generally just shuttle myself between the office, juice bar and home, so there is usually little chance to compose something more than a phone cam shot. I contribute because I thought it might be appreciated to show a flip side (quieter? More colorful?) to many of the designers we all love.

Ill say that I usually tend to dress towards the more dadcore side of the sz spectrum and it is very difficult to photograph as so much of the life of these garments is in the minute details or feel of the fabric. They are very much garments for wearer.

In defense of these "blue jeans", they are actually a gorgeous silk/wool, and the color a deep indigo, unfortunately like many of my clothes the depth of the garment gets a little lost in a wide photo.

Also, the rings. These, all of them, I wear all day everyday, that if I don't at this point, I end up with that niggling feeling that I've forgotten something important in the back of my mind. Can't help it. Sorry if they are not your cup of tea.

If you all would prefer that I only post when I'm able to compose a better shot photo, I'm more than happy to comply. Lmk :)

Comment

• other_animals
                      • Mar 2012

Cjbreed, am I the potato?

Comment

• zen dog
                        • Jan 2014

I want to give my support to the direction this discussion has taken these last two pages. I did a good deal of reading these threads before joining in in my limited way. Posters emerged whom I came to look forward to and respect, be their post long or short, cjbreed and shucks were two of them. Shuit always had great styling- wonderful to see him make the effort to show images to make his point and display a knowledge that showed he has more than a "knack" for putting stuff together.

I don't think it is my imagination that the fist of Faust has been coming down hard these past six or so months. I sense a frustration and longing for earlier times. Faust, wanting a more outrageous statement from other animals makes sense. Isn't another way of wearing these brands one that may look normcore but doesn't cross that line? Isn't it still a challenge to put items together so they sing quietly together and not cancel each other out into a bland mass? There are enough loved brands or items within the brands on these pages that are about nuances of fabric, fit, stitching, etc. Wearing them in the world may be talking to a few people you pass, but the guarantee is the dialog you have with yourself as you experience your clothing's construction, material and fabrication. A STATEMENT isn't always the way to go. These pages prove just throwing outrageous shit together doesn't make things happen. Style is an art whether is is screaming or whispering.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

I think it's because Faust and other_animals come from different perspectives, I for one think that Faust is very on the Fashion side, he enjoys the evolution, and on the contrary OA is still wearing carpe from the Paleolithic era, because that clothes was made to last 10 years buried underground so maybe the disconnect is that right there. I don't think there's anything wrong with either side of the battle, it's more just like Faust is more about Mode and OA is more about Artisans. (IMHO)

Faust, just delete shitty pictures like you deleted mine from the PH thread, if that picture didn't fly, then just delete photos from this thread and uphold fit pic quality, might as well since you've already started. On the other hand Shucks uses his phone and i've never had a problem understanding his outfits, but then you have someone like DudelyGray that i've never understood a single fit because of the photo. If the quality sucks why bother put it up.
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• grapefruitpop
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            No, it's the exactly the stuff at the core of SZ. We used to have more of these types of discussions. Personal style does not appear out of ether - it has to be taught and learned.

Thanks shuit!
                            You may have missed my point (or I may have not conveyed it very well). I meant to say I like casems fit because there wasn't too much analysis going into it. I appreciate the rebellious vibe I get from it, skinny jeans, oversized military inspired parka. Seems not contrived and genuine to me. Conversely, I think Shuit posts great fits but to me there is too much going on, too much analyzed/produced to get the most likes on tumblr/lookbook etc.

Shuit is one of the most celebrated posters here but imho its the same ro/ccp/ch/ph boring shit over and over again and SZ doesn't need another harnden blazer, bbs p 13, ccp tornado, ch rings drone. I find it funny you guys have your little laughs about the clients posted on Ink's Instagram then turn around and worship the ground of your favourite hyped SZ'ers fits that are of the same quality. I liked casems fit and it was refreshing, dont think there was anything wrong with the length of the parka.

Originally posted by daou0782
                            I find comments like faust's above and shuit's heartening. As a newbie I find expressing dislike or disagreement to be a delicate matter, so I'm glad to see some pushback coming from members like them. grapefruitpop's comment made my stomach turn. If there is place to rationalize and make an effort to verbalize stuff it's forums like these. Thank you faust, shuit and triggerdiscipline.
                            Your whole post was shit, jerking off all your favourite members while adding nothing meaningful except an array of pretty bolded names.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                              Faust, just delete shitty pictures
                              I think a more positive approach to dealing with fits that donĀ“t belong here would be to use the "spoiler" feature and hide them with a note like e.g. "Inappropriate fit". This way users (especially new ones) could learn from bad outfits whereas simply deleting them robs them of a lesson they could learn.
                              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                                I think it's because Faust and other_animals come from different perspectives, I for one think that Faust is very on the Fashion side, he enjoys the evolution, and on the contrary OA is still wearing carpe from the Paleolithic era, because that clothes was made to last 10 years buried underground so maybe the disconnect is that right there. I don't think there's anything wrong with either side of the battle, it's more just like Faust is more about Mode and OA is more about Artisans. (IMHO)

Faust, just delete shitty pictures like you deleted mine from the PH thread, if that picture didn't fly, then just delete photos from this thread and uphold fit pic quality, might as well since you've already started. On the other hand Shucks uses his phone and i've never had a problem understanding his outfits, but then you have someone like DudelyGray that i've never understood a single fit because of the photo. If the quality sucks why bother put it up.
                                The bottom line concern for me is quality of contribution, whether articles, analysis, information, or fits. I think, as fncyths pointed out elsewhere, SZ is going through some growing pains - there seems to be a new generation of posters arriving who have received the "goth ninja gospel" from third parties such as Instagram, rap lyrics, or Complex magazine articles instead of experiencing it organically. Perhaps for them is just another phase - maybe that's why they don't shorten their sleeves even though it looks bad but keeps the resell value. In this case there is a learning curve.

I don't mind the less extreme representation of artisanal clothing at all - I think done right they provide exactly the kind of nuance cjbreed is referring it. But it demands a very good photo to reflect that.

In the end, yes, I reserve the right to delete bad fits, as stated in SZ rules. But perhaps it's more constructive to provide good feedback. Not that I am going to do this every time :-) I will repost a WAYWT portion of them so people can read them. (excuse the caps)

1. WHAT ARE YOU WEARING TODAY THREAD - NO SPITEFUL OR MEAN-SPIRITED FEEDBACK. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS WELCOME, BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE AN OUTFIT CRITICISM BY OMMISSION IS THE BEST TOOL. IF SOMEONE IS PUTTING UP FLAGRANTLY NON-PERTINENT OUTFITS, THIS WILL BE INTERPRETED AS TROLLING AND THOSE POSTS WILL SIMPLY BE DELETED. THE IDEA OF WAYWT IS TO DEMONSTRATE INDIVIDUAL STYLE AND ALSO "LOOSELY" THE STYLE OF THE FORUM. IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT ALL THE MEMBERS ENJOY LOOKING AT AND ARE PROUD AND COMFORTABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN.

The rest of the rules are here

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎