Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

First things first - lose the belt. Rick loves a belt, but almost everything looks better without it. The jacket is so short, it doesn't need another break in it. Then the short length definitely doesn't work with the tight pants. Wear something with a bit of a drop to take some of the heaviness of the top. I have the same jacket in wool and while it is lovely its hard to wear. I always wear it as a suit with matching pants which are the cropped dropped pants in the same wool. Throw some combats or creepers under that and it works. This is just too incongruent in terms of silhouette.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Upsilon's steak in a vegan restaurant is going to be my new favorite saying.
      Oh, it's even better than you think.

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post

here are some notes for the future
      1. dont bring steak into a vegan restaurant
      2. don't buy that shitty steak at Food For Less
      3. don't be surprised when the vegan restaurant shows u the door

That Food For Less reference can only be truly appreciated if you've ever been to one. Never get a steak there, but if you're after 6 pounds of stomach tripe or a family pack of chicken feet for under two bucks, it won't disappoint.

Lastly, I appreciate your efforts at being the voice of reason, fit_magna_caedes.
      You will learn that it rarely works.
      I'm just glad he's back.
      sain't

Comment

• YTheLastMan
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
        First things first - lose the belt. Rick loves a belt, but almost everything looks better without it. The jacket is so short, it doesn't need another break in it. Then the short length definitely doesn't work with the tight pants. Wear something with a bit of a drop to take some of the heaviness of the top. I have the same jacket in wool and while it is lovely its hard to wear. I always wear it as a suit with matching pants which are the cropped dropped pants in the same wool. Throw some combats or creepers under that and it works. This is just too incongruent in terms of silhouette.
        Thanks for the comments:)

Drop crotch pants and I tend to not have the best relationship, maybe it's due to the fact that I'm 5"8?

Everything else you said re: suit, drop crotch, crop, etc all makes a lot of sense. Again, weather limits wearing cropped pants...when it's -20 (celsius...) and there is a litany of ice and slush, sacrifices must be made. A pair of Astaires might work if I can find the same tone.
        Weather is no excuse for any incongruence on SZ though

PS. This jacket IS wool :)

Comment

• Peasant
          • Jul 2009

The point is the ethos of those brands, as opposed to Armani's ethos. Jesus, isn't that obvious? Why do I even have to explain this on SZ?
          Exactly. It has so much more to do with the values of the forum than the actual clothes.

And to say, well he just posted pants, boots and a tshirt so what's the difference between his boots, shirt and pants? is inconsequential. Everything everyone wears can be filtered down into these categories. What were you expecting? Wings?

There are dozens, if not hundreds of places to showcase other brands. SZ was created because we didn't belong in those places. Why would a similar stipulation not exist here? There's a non-tangible quality within the labels and designers supported here. If you're into those that aren't respected, or even worth acknowledgment here, post on the other sites. Why do people feel the need to post here and more-so, why does anyone feel that they have this right to be accepted? It isn't about rules. It's about standards. Even if it's something that I think looks great, if the brands values aren't congruent with mine, I'm not into it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

Casem's outfit was anything but.
            ok why / why not

please explain why that fit belongs here.

what about the ethos of SLP and Dior what sets it apart from Armani?
            Originally posted by unwashed
            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
            Originally posted by Ahimsa
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• TheThief
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
              ok why / why not

what about the ethos of SLP and Dior what sets it apart from Armani?
              I'm not going to get into your question regarding the ethos of Armani vs SLP and why either does or doesnt belong on the forum since I'm ill-suited answer it.

As far as the term normcore is concerned: "Normcore" is intentionally trying to look like you're not trying. Think middle-american mall clothing, put together into sloppy outfits by the urban dwelling image-conscious.

Though normcore brands are more typically in the category that includes Birkenstock and GAP , any brand could be used to construct a normcore outfit. I can imagine a normcore outfit made up entirely of Rick Owens, with the old Drkshdw Hotdog Tee, a pair of blue berlin jeans (the wide leg cut), unhemmed and hanging sloppily over a pair of the flip flops he released last summer.

As for Casem's fit, it was just a take on classic menswear.
              Last edited by TheThief; 01-17-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                I can think of a few reasons:

1. it simply looked a lot better than the outfit that sparked this discussion, in many ways. Everything fits and looks sharp and clean for starters.

2. context, as in who is wearing it, does matter. Not because someone is an old member, popular or whatever, but because we (those who have followed this thread for a bit) have an idea of casem's style which has formed over several years and we can sort of have a background for that photo. ie we see more than just that photo.

For the same reason, I think context matters when wearing something perhaps a bit out of the ordinary in terms of style or a brand. This is kind of what user SuE rouched upon a page or two back, "you need to follow the rules before deviating from them" or something like that. I wouldn't necessarily put it that literally but I think there is some truth to that.

That said, there was more than one brand that was not too great about that original outfit that started this discussion.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• guardimp
                  • Jun 2010

Can someone clarify what outfit is being discussed.

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                    • Sep 2013

this one
                    I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• jskidder1
                      • Jan 2011

no, actually it was this one.

Comment

• arby2001
                        • Jan 2011

i side with a more formalist approach to aesthetics (unlike Faust, but as has been said many times, it's his site) instead of drawing illusory and frankly unsubstantiated demarcations between what 'is' and 'is not'. I do not think art should concern itself with an ethos that lies beyond the object of discussion.

i have seen emporio armani in stores and this season has been excellent imo e.g.

of course it's a bit clean, too sanitized for SZ as a whole, but that doesn't mean that i wouldn't wear that coat together with my julius denim and boots.

ok so the fit in question is actually quite poor - i acknowledge that - but to ban discussion of a particular brand i think is overt censorship. SZ should also be for constructive criticism and not an exclusive circlejerk lest it loses all meaning.

just my 2 pennies' worth.
                        Last edited by arby2001; 01-18-2015, 06:49 AM. Reason: turns out image is huge
                        too skinny for rick

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
                          no, actually it was this one.
                          it was actually both
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                            • Nov 2014

Wasn´t there one interview of Rick where he said he admired Armani or something along these lines? I´m looking for it atm, but unfortunately I can´t find it.
                            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• profondo nero
                              • Aug 2012

Please man.. Don't drink and type no more.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                                • Nov 2014

I din´t mean to say Rick´s the messiah with the be-all-end-all opinion we gotta swallow, it was simply something I remembered and wanted to throw into the discussion (also to see if someone else would remember the actual quote).

Actually, excluding for the Exchange diffusion line, all I ever see from Armani in department stores is the same crap, so one could say his aesthetic is consistent(ly bad).
                                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                                -Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎