X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleves
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Another observation - the younguns are way too quick to heap praise on mediocre fits. I wonder if it's indicative of their generation that absolutely hates any kind of confrontation and has grown up with unconditional praise? Or am I over-analyzing?
    Originally posted by guardimp View Post
    I would have to agree that people are quick to praise mediocre things, maybe it does relate to an avoidance of confrontation. It could also be that bland outfits are set up not to be bad, more so than to be good. It's hard to critique something that blends into normality.
    What are you two referring to? Mediocre fits in what sense? Looking at something and thinking its a terrible fit because it is, or just disliking it because its against personal preference? Actually really curious about those things! I've also noticed either more confrontation in general amongst younger sets of people or just a general lack of care for it.
    Last edited by eleves; 03-18-2015, 09:22 AM.
    Originally posted by Faust
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• gregor
      • Oct 2014

if someone is young, at least in the sense of being new to the forum, i think it somewhat reasonable that praise would be higher as it does take time to settle into a community like sz, and, of course, as the calibre of fits on the site by and large is quite higher than a lot of other websites and similar forums, is banality in this case not mostly based on perspective?

Comment

• guardimp
        • Jun 2010

Mediocre as in non remarkable. Stuff that doesn't spark discussion either positive or negative. Not taking risks, maybe this relates to bringing in the styles of other forums.

Comment

• gregor
          • Oct 2014

i'd say going back a little bit to what i said, it's obvious a lot of sz members have come from other forums (perhaps more so recently, i've lurked a while but only posted for a few months now, so i can't really say), which i think is, if not leeway, perhaps reasoning behind praising fits or things that are in the sense of sz (which is the best forum for the lifestyle it perpetuates) perhaps not the most notable or good.

ironically, it seems said mild-mannered comments have sparked discussion
          Last edited by gregor; 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

• Arkady
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by gregor View Post
            arkady detailing put into that piece is every bit as meticulous as it is gorgeous
            Truly amazing work. I often find myself zipping it all the way up past the face and marinating in it Altered States-style.

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by gregor View Post
              i'd say going back a little bit to what i said, it's obvious a lot of sz members have come from other forums (perhaps more so recently, i've lurked a while but only posted for a few months now, so i can't really say), which i think is, if not leeway, perhaps reasoning behind praising fits or things that are in the sense of sz (which is the best forum for the lifestyle it perpetuates) perhaps not the most notable or good.

Comment

• gregor
                • Oct 2014

willing to concede that i didn't even realize that was one run-on sentence.

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                  • May 2014

Another observation - the younguns are way too quick to heap praise on mediocre fits.
                  I guess i am guilty of this to some extent. Having navigated through a large portion of the old WAYWTs, I find that standards have shifted. Maybe the extraordinary outfits aren't as frequent which has led me to be content with well executed ones.(be the change you want to see etc etc.... i am aware).

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                    • Apr 2013

I want to chime in on here and share my opinion. when I post an outfit to this thread I make sure it's the very best I've got, and I wear relevant brands to this thread every day. with that being said, other people just want to "keep the thread going" which doesn't really make sense to me.

another theory is post climbing, it's probably easier to say whatever to a mediocre non controversial fit to gain posts to sell than otherwise, but I'm rather pessimistic about these things.
                    Originally posted by unwashed
                    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                    Originally posted by Ahimsa
                    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Schleudersitz
                      • Sep 2014

Trk is a 4chan poster who served as a kind of living punchline, fueled by a lack of self-awareness. He has since graduated from clown college and migrated to greener pastures, where he chronically forgets to resize his images.

Comment

• gregor
                        • Oct 2014

guardimp as would i. i think it's somewhat rep whoring, because i know full well some boards have much lower standards of fits, or are impressed by the mere names that are par for the course on here. there's something to be said for getting genuine feedback from a variety of people and groups, but if they can't contribute anything constructive (ie, a forum like fedora lounge critiquing a julius/ann type fit) then it's just for the ego.

i cross-post to a few forums and groups occasionally, and though it's somewhat innate to like the praise, i don't do it much any more as it contributes little constructive feedback.

triggerdiscipline i feel like it'd be easier to just post a lot in somewhere like the cinema or literature threads to post-climb, though, perhaps more rewarding to do so in here.

Comment

• guardimp
                          • Jun 2010

I would have to agree with triggerdiscipline that WAYWT seems like it has become prime real estate for posters looking to sell stuff here. Not only do you get to up your posts but also you get to give the items some spotlight time (especially those who Photoshop their waywt photos). It seems oddly convenient that people decide to stop posting almost completely after they put up their for sale thread.

Along the lines of Faust saying that everything under the sun does not belong here, some outfits (the mediocre ones) seem to be better suited for other forums. Interestingly many of those outfits are cross-posted to either superfuture or styleforum (trk and sufu, nicelynice and sf).

I would be interested to hear from some of those cross-posters, what is the rationale behind cross posting fits on/from those forums (specifically to WAYWT). Is feedback sought from multiple knowledgeable posters, is it just rep whoring ...? Maybe trk or rick&julius can enlighten us.
                          Last edited by guardimp; 03-18-2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• daou0782
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

the younguns are way too quick to heap praise on mediocre fits. I wonder if it's indicative of their generation that absolutely hates any kind of confrontation and has grown up with unconditional praise? Or am I over-analyzing?
                            speaking from my personal experience, as a beginner, in most cases, i feel i lack the depth of knowledge required to back up criticism. therefore, i imagine it's easier for the "younguns" to dish compliments than to criticize and risk a debate where they would have little to contribute. having said that, i think so far i've kept it mostly to myself when i have not much to add.

as to trk's fit, i like the shirt. the fit of the pants could be better (better transition at hem, less knee bags--though i think those are unavoidable). i'm on the ropes regarding the blazer which is too short for my taste (should reach the thumb's knuckle or cover more of the seat at least). but given that he is wearing it with casual shoes, the overall casual vibe might be ok.

Comment

• Icarium
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                              Icarium I've never seen that knit before, may I ask what it is? Jan Jan? It's really cool!
                              Thanks! Yes its Jan Jan van Essche from SS15 - I think suspension point and cruvoir are stocking the long sleeve version, but I liked the longer length and short sleeve look/layering piece of the short sleeve version. I think nomad, the japanese shop who was willing to do an email transaction for me, has the same knit in black in stock still.

Both this and the black cardigan I got are the first linen knits I've experienced. Quite nice for summer knits I think.. looking forward to the knits from AW15 too which are a yak hair/linen blend.

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Last edited by Arkady; 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎