X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by asho View Post
    For me, Kira, there is something a little off in the proportions of your fit. I like the colour scheme in the top half however I think the step from the grays and purples to the black tights and shoes is a little bit too strong and kind of reduces the impact and beauty of the gradual drift between the other, more muted, colours.

I'm also not sure I like the shoes as much as Faust... For me, I always wonder about the way a shoe blends in to an outfit when the top of the heel sits higher than the top of the upper at the front (especially with tights of the same colour). This is definitely an ultra specific thing, but I've had a part in making a few shoes like this so I've given in more thought than it really warrants.

That said I do like the fit overall
    did you take the color test? i got a perfect score and i find the gradation perfect.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
      Kira looks great.

With regards to baby's comment, I will say that, in the short time I've been here, I've noticed that there seems to be a miscommunication between the girls and the guys in terms of styling. Because this board is dominated by men, the mindset is very menswear orientated, which is entirely understandable and not a bad thing by any means - however, this mindset continues with the judgements of the girls outfits, and however similar mens and womenswear styles may be able to get, there are still fundamental differences in terms of goals/styling/history that make it difficult to judge the two by the same standards (note that I say by, not to). The approach here seems to be to hold all outfits, regardless of the gender of the wearer, to the same standards and criteria, which is really an impractical and misleading thing to do. The girls outfits that seem to receive the most praise tend to be the outfits that either conform best to a menswear point of view, or are sexually appealing/attractive to the commenter.

Not that this is something that needs to be avoided, but its something I've noticed and as there seems to be a general desire for more female posters, this may be one factor that discourages more from posting.
      You hear that, bitches?! (I am talking to the men here). Live and learn.

On a more serious note, how would you define this judgement criteria? I mean you have to be talking about something more narrow than "looking good." Or you need to define what is different about "looking good" when it comes to men and women. And what do you mean by sexually appealing? That's interesting too, because for some people sex appeal is more cerebral, or about the mystery, rather than something immediate that can be defined by overt sexuality.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

thanks everyone for the kind words and interesting thoughts.

not going anywhere in particular Faust, just trying to see how many different outfits I can create with my favorite Rick drapey cardi , and was feeling a bit tired after a stressful weekend so thought dressing up would help uplift me.

gradation is a hard one. i tried some other colors and it just did not look right, it almost gives too much color then. maybe if there was a really dark blue or grey that was almost black it could work too but that is a hard one...i had to have some black in there somewhere

baby, i can always hold my own with the big guns
        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          You hear that, bitches?! (I am talking to the men here). Live and learn.

On a more serious note, how would you define this judgement criteria? I mean you have to be talking about something more narrow than "looking good." Or you need to define what is different about "looking good" when it comes to men and women. And what do you mean by sexually appealing? That's interesting too, because for some people sex appeal is more cerebral, or about the mystery, rather than something immediate that can be defined by overt sexuality.

No worries about that Faust. As we have talked about before, this forum is predominantly male. So it does take a certain kind of female that feels at ease in that kind of situation or does not think of things so separately in terms of male/female. because of that there are not going to be a ton of women on here. No judgment meant by that just my observation and opinion. I am one that always hangs with the guys, just my personality, i feel very comfortable here.

but i do think that what mona said is interesting. from my perspective, i think when i am looking at someone, i consider how something looks on that particular person, the overall silhouette, the lines created, the color pattern, how it makes my eye move, texture, etc. i dont really consider the male/female thing much personally.

as far as sexuality, that is very subjective. there are degrees of sexuality, sensuality, and how one individually perceives that and what one is drawn to. so i think it is very hard to judge that. I know what I find sexually appealing, but that may not be what someone else finds appealing and vice versa. I dont think that you can measure that so easily.

now if we start talking about general characteristics of beauty and not sexuality, well then i think that may be easier to understand...maybe.
          Last edited by kira; 10-07-2008, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• the breaks
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by baby View Post
            nice kira. no offense ladies, but i think that's the first time a girl posted a look that held it's own with some of the big guns on here.
            I couldn't agree more. Well actually J_J's last one was nice too. but yeah
            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Chant
              Banned
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MonaDahl
              I suppose, more narrowly than "looking good," I'm talking about a more intellectual aspect of dressing. Maybe I approach dressing from a different perspective than most here (not to say that the other isn't intellectual), but for me the factors that contribute to the "goodness" of an outfit are those interpretations, manifestations, and perversions of historical and societal convention that make any outfit "readable." As such, I do tend to make a distinction between a good outfit on a man and a good outfit on a woman, and I don't think I need to apologize for that.

By sexually appealing I mean something very general, something I invite you to define for yourself. At the core though it is motivated by a certain sexuality. That's all I can bring myself to articulate this late at night.
              First, I think that we need a new emoticon here, saying "Beware ! sexually oriented commentar". This one already exists , but we have to find a less ambiguous one.

MonaDahl, speaking of history of clothing, aren't clothes basically cut to straighten to - and actually to enhance - the morphological characteristics - differences - beetween women and men, are they ? So, I would say, in a provocative way, that clothing (dressing ?) is fondamentally a sexual question.
              Clothes are dressing the nudity indeed, means they hide it as well as they show, or reveal, it (gender nudity, not individual one).

Fashion is interesting though when one starts to play with these fundamentals, starts to move away from them, and, in addition, the point of view will shift itself to an aesthetic one, or more aesthetic one. But as well as intellectual curiosity could be related to infantile sexual curiosity about gender difference, I think it's important not to forget that fashion interest imo has also a close origine to it.

But to conclude, I would try to shift the discussion's centre of gravity. We should keep in mind humankind's constitutive psychic bisexuality. Of course, anatomicaly speaking, we are either man or woman (humanity biggest tragedy), but psychologicaly, things are a little more complicated, and my point of view as an heterosexual man on an man outline will also be the one of a "woman", i.e. the feminine part in me.
              Hum, seems not to be very clear...
              I think we need now a second sexually oriented emoticon, explaining the psychic gender orientation of the sexually oriented commentar.
              Last edited by Chant; 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• noerml
                • May 2008

Hm… interesting debate.
                I already wrote it down somewhere, but a male dominated forum really isn’t, and somehow can’t be different from any other all-male society. Take the all-male army for instance. (I can only speak for myself here, but Germany had that until recently, though I am aware things are different in say.. the US). It’s interesting how those all-male societies breed the homosexual (and plz I do not mean butt-sex here) and how well men get along… well until, until a female enters the room (or their minds). Must be something in our genes that redirect the bloodflow to the nether regions. During my army service, sitting in the canteen, things were all about camaraderie, silly men’s jokes and stuff, but the very moment a female went thru the door a hush befell the 500men sitting there, and just a sec later they began dissecting her with their eyes. “niceeeE teats, man. I sure wouln’t dimiss that one!”
                And then began the attention..uh..ritual. Who’s the top dog. Who can claim the precciouuuSSSSsss.
                So equally some comments here might not comment the clothing at all *shrug*
                Now this is a rather educated forum and black and white thinking like that certainly won’t really lead to the right conclusions… *shrug* still some might comment a female outfit while they wouldn't have bothered to press the reply button on a male outfit.

And then again… where is the problem. Most girls I know dress to impress/please men, at least to some extent, and getting the right kind of attention does compliment the outfit anyways. And if they don't see the other efforts you put into your outfit, well then maybe it didn't work *Shrug*
                (generally talking, not about your outfit! :P)
                And through their parting lids there came and went
                Keen glimpses of the inner firmament

Comment

• Boki
                  • May 2008

you guys are superfluously deep.

kira your pretty hot, and so is J_J. not much more to it

Comment

• uparmoured
                    • Sep 2007

The boys are just jealous because the women are stylin on us ... Without getting too wordy, I am very glad to see the superb quality of most of the women posters here. It is a veritable breath of fresh air compared to the legions of lookbook.nu hip kids jumping onto the next seasonal must-haves... kira absolutely nailed the last outfit...

FS: M.A+
                    FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Boki View Post
                      you guys are superfluously deep.

kira your pretty hot, and so is J_J. not much more to it
                      Oh, come on, that's boring. I mean it's a compliment... I suppose... but boring...
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• noerml
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Oh, come on, that's boring. I mean it's a compliment... I suppose... but boring...
                        yah... was about to say the same. Why spent loads (time and money) on ur outfits and then be shallow?
                        And through their parting lids there came and went
                        Keen glimpses of the inner firmament

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

interesting conversation and no one has been mean

Merz- word - i rather enjoy when debates are sparked by posts as well, just not when they are mean

Most girls I know dress to impress/please men, at least to some extent, and getting the right kind of attention does compliment the outfit anyways. And if they don't see the other efforts you put into your outfit, well then maybe it didn't work - noerml

hmmm. not so sure about this one. impress/please is where i get caught up. i have never dressed to specifically to please those that i am attracted to. I dress to please myself and feel comfortable and beautiful in my body. That may translate outward to others and as a result it might heighten that connection between myself and someone. but that is not the intention when i put on what i do. i can not speak for anyone else of course. maybe in an intimate situation that would be a concern...but that is not on an outwardly basis and at that point there would be a specific goal intended...

Everyone likes attention and adoration on some levels, you cant deny that. but it is not rooted in the success of an outfit, imo.

Hot...at least it is not the wanting to marry my lips only thing. it is getting better. i take it as good intention, but there is more to it than that Boki. no one is being superfluously deep. i think some on here are insanely hot but i dont find that it contributes anything to discussion and i dont express myself that way. (kira thinks about what to say in future posts)

Comment

• inaya
                            • Apr 2008

'redacted'.

except for: not everyone likes attention and/or adoration - I don't even post waywt's because of how much I personally dislike the two.

carry on with the... well, never mind, just carry on.

Comment

• tangerine
                              • Dec 2006

* ignores inaya *

;)
                              the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

I don't need to sell my soul,
                                He's already in me.
                                I don't need to sell my soul,
                                He's already in me.
                                I wanna be adored.
                                I wanna be adored.

I don't ..... I wanna be adored.
                                You adore me.