X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Who?
    • Aug 2007

Re: New Experiment...

Surgery is perfect for you, considering the work that you are capable of creating with your hands. I am just at the beginning of the Optometry process, had 3 interviews and am waiting to hear the (hopefully good) outcome.
    WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Yeaaaaahhh!!!!

Who O.D.

I love it.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

I actually took a piece of wire and wrapped it around a wet white shirt for a couple days and came up with some really beautiful texture. It's lasted through several hot washes, too, so that's nice.

(crappy webcam pic)

Iron Oxide would definitely work... I can't wait to see what you come up with. Where can you find that sort of stuff, anyways?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

it can be ordered via chemical supply companies (they'll actually ship stuff to you as long as it's not on some government watch list) pretty easily and cheaply.

That looks lovely Gerry! Why did you try it? Just curious?

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

it can be ordered via chemical supply companies (they'll actually ship stuff to you as long as it's not on some government watch list) pretty easily and cheaply.

That looks lovely Gerry! Why did you try it? Just curious?

[/quote]

Be aware, they'll usually ship stuff to you even if it is on the list, and the FBI or somesuch will then show up at your door. Had a prof at my undergrad who felt that one of the experiments he did was done best with a chemical that happened to be used in the synthesis of some illegal drug. One year after ordering it forever, it showed up along with a group of FBI agents.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

And when they show up, Albert has viles and blenders full of kidneys and blood....lol.

Albert- I must say man, you come up with some cool projects!

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

Wow, and I thought CCP did some sick things. Reading this thread made me gag a little bit.
                music

Comment

• gerry
                  • Feb 2008

I enjoy experimenting with clothing, I guess. The majority of my ideas are slightly too ambitious, but that one came about one holiday when I just decided to have a day playing around with a six-pack of fruit of the loom shirts. I stuck a couple in the oven to see how heat would affect different chemicals, boiled some in tea, experimented with different inks, and just used everything I happened to have in my house.

The one I threw in the oven actually was kind of interesting... There was a bit of ink in there and it turned into that beautiful burnt color along with sinking into the spaces between the grill.

It's kind of like a study of things I might be able to do with clothing at a later point, you know?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

And when they show up, Albert has viles and blenders full of kidneys and blood....lol.

Albert- I must say man, you come up with some cool projects!

[/quote]

Hahahaha

I dunno... sometimes my mind wanders and suddenly there's a new idea/furniture design/experiment i want to try to create. Came up with another concrete/rebar bookshelf type thing today that I had to sketch out quickly.

Gerry, these experiments of yours are awesome!!!!

If you could control the pattern of the oven burning you could create some lovely gradients :)

Casem, hehehe I know it's a bit gross. I've always been curious as to how Carol pulled off his blood-dyed stuff that I have yet to see photos of... figured I may as well try something myself you know?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="wire.artist"]

I wonder what would happen with some olive oil and green (or any other colour, or a mix) vegetables all mixed in a blender and kept in a dark place to save the green color. Beetroot might be a great shade, maybe darkened with some squid's ink, and both are quite permanent...This technique it's used to obtain coloured oils to ornate a plate by some chefs.

I've been thinking also about doing some kind of dye with rocks (pulverized).

[/quote]

hmm, squid ink is an interesting one... ink in general could be an interesting medium to work with.

I like the culinary application to the clothing. Very nice Wire!!!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

So a new experiment:

Now that I know how to control the burn in a manner that I can generate textures, shapes and structure, you'll see an organic evolution of it later on this summer in wearable form :)

I think you guys will like it!

Thank you Gerry for the idea of putting fabric into the oven!! I'm going to take this to another level!

Comment

• Who?
                          • Aug 2007

Awesome Albert. I had a question for you, I am in need of some really thick silver wire and I have no idea where to look. Where did you get the wire for your chain?
                          WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

check dat pm!

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

Check ceramic supply places for all types of metals/materials that you may want. They will have them in oxide form and carbonate form. They will even have stains, which are ground up already fired glazes that maintain color... Many of the companies ship all over, but I can probably find you one that is closer to wear you live. I can also tell you what the approximate colors are of most of the metals in oxide and carbonate form. Trust me. They stain clothing and they do not come out. Years of experience speaking here.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks Kira!

I'll look into this as well... got a lot of stuff going on already. I'll be delving deeper once school wraps up in a few weeks hehehe.

Toxicity is another issue once I get into these other materials that are outside of the norm

...time to read some MSDS sheets hahaha

Thanks again Kira :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎