• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • een
    • Sep 2006

Layer-0 0.7 x een

before:

after:

Cut the flappy bits off myself soon after purchasing. Soles were getting a bit worn, and I knew I'd be walking on cobble all Spring; instead of adding rubber I decided to replace them with an altogether different version, to my spec courtesy Willie's Shoe Service, Hollywood.
    Last edited by een; 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

The boots look so much better, especially the sole makes a huge difference.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• pinecone
        • Sep 2011

cool story hansel.

but really, it was.

Comment

• tron
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gaitortrout View Post
          Well, there goes the resale value.

Seriously though, sleeve-length is probably the most often neglected alteration that has the biggest effect on appearance. Would like to see more people consider it. (Unfortunately for me it's a bit trickier to get sleeves lengthened to fit my monkey arms.)
          I share this sentiment. I can never find sleeves that are long enough. Being tall and thin actually has draw backs what the hell...
          "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• cowsareforeating
            • Jan 2011

i want a layer-0 x een boot... lol

that one looks real clean; only seen the distressed versions.

Comment

• b_z
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by tron View Post
              I share this sentiment. I can never find sleeves that are long enough. Being tall and thin actually has draw backs what the hell...
              Same here...
              I won't ever fit in most jackets because of that, and it makes me feel kinda sad :'(
              My Photography: Website/Facebook Page

Comment

• Raw
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                i want a layer-0 x een boot... lol

that one looks real clean; only seen the distressed versions.
                These look great:
                With the fall/winter deliveries now in full swing, it greatly pleases us to announce the second shipment of Avantindietro_Field and Layer-0 ...

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                  like the 1st derby listed; alas i am broke right now so no purchases till 2012 unless im lucky

also the boots as well..

Comment

• tron
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by b_z View Post
                    Same here...
                    I won't ever fit in most jackets because of that, and it makes me feel kinda sad :'(
                    just find a good tailor. It's all we can do
                    "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• b_z
                      • Jul 2011

just find a good tailor. It's all we can do
                      Adding 6 cm to sleeve lenght is usually impossible, even for a good tailor...

Comment

• tron
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by b_z View Post
                        Adding 6 cm to sleeve lenght is usually impossible, even for a good tailor...
                        ahh too true. Possibly some kind of tailor-wizard hybrid O.o

Comment

• b_z
                          • Jul 2011

ahh too true. Possibly some kind of tailor-wizard hybrid O.o
                          Would be awesome :)

I buy made-to-measure suits, but they are really... boring usually. Real bespoke suits are too pricey for me (for now ?).

Comment

• droussin
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                            i buy clothes to wear them until they fall apart. It doesn't matter if the thing cost me $100 or $2000... the cost is irrelevant to me, as value is not something I see as material. I value things that have 'damage' in them over new things, as it sets my object into a broader historical context. It always makes me disappointed to see someone wear clothes so carefully, always seemingly conscious of the financial burden weighing on the shoulder, or fanatical about the implied statement they see communicated by the creator... it creates a distance to the everyday evolution of a surrounding world, a disillusionment of perfection and art that holds a soulless prayer to an article given up by its creator that should be found instead of feared.
                            I see clothing choices taking the shape of ones inner consciousness on its own form... if you can agree, then why the financial drape and 'supposed to fit like' shit?
                            I really agree with this. I cant say i own a ton of designer stuff but those things i own that are more costly are worn just as much as the cheaper things i own. i know people who own closets full of designers and rarely opt to let those items out to see the sun. I really wear out the things i own not just for the value of the damage in them but also because that is their use. It is ridiculous to see someone tiptoe around in shoes so as not to crease them or never sit in fear of marking a pair of pants, these items are meant to be worn and their damage and age is as much apart of their beauty as their initial appearance was. It has always seemed ridiculous to me to buy a thing you love or greatly desired and keep it locked away.
                            what is black?
                            an absence, a presence, a mood, a mantle.
                            -Martin Margiela

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Got this Devoa blazer in cotton/linen in charcoal. Wanted it to match my Devoa pants in the same fabric but in pure black. Spent midday saturday dying it (cold dye) and after the final rinse I noticed some fringing of fabric in the mass of wet fabric and saw the damage. Once it started to dry, I was able to see the true extent of what happened:

So apparently even though the tag indicates the jacket is hand washable, it literally shredded apart at the seams as the water loosened the weave and the hand-agitation only served to help pull everything apart.

On examination of the interior of the jacket it looks like the coarse weave cotton/linen fabric was not serged and the cut edges left raw with a straight stitch for all the seams. This is an inherent problem with the construction as it will likely be expected that the garments constructed in this fabric will slowly pull at the seams even if not wet/washed, just at a slower pace.

All that being said and found out, it will not deter me from altering my own clothing. It just serves as a reminder that I can't make assumptions about internal construction of garments by other designers.

At the very least, I can now take this jacket apart and just make myself a new one since I'll be able to generate the jacket pattern.
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                                Got this Devoa blazer in cotton/linen in charcoal. Wanted it to match my Devoa pants in the same fabric but in pure black. Spent midday saturday dying it (cold dye) and after the final rinse I noticed some fringing of fabric in the mass of wet fabric and saw the damage. Once it started to dry, I was able to see the true extent of what happened:

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE PICTURES ON THE SAME PAGE

So apparently even though the tag indicates the jacket is hand washable, it literally shredded apart at the seams as the water loosened the weave and the hand-agitation only served to help pull everything apart.

On examination of the interior of the jacket it looks like the coarse weave cotton/linen fabric was not serged and the cut edges left raw with a straight stitch for all the seams. This is an inherent problem with the construction as it will likely be expected that the garments constructed in this fabric will slowly pull at the seams even if not wet/washed, just at a slower pace.

All that being said and found out, it will not deter me from altering my own clothing. It just serves as a reminder that I can't make assumptions about internal construction of garments by other designers.

At the very least, I can now take this jacket apart and just make myself a new one since I'll be able to generate the jacket pattern.

thats the stuff...
                                although kind of saddens me to see that devoa construction/care isn't as bulletproof as I had hoped... seems like they cut corners a little on the jacket no? or was this intentional?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎