No announcement yet.

any cotton dyeing recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dylon machine velvet black made light green heavy cotton hoodie really jet black. But a lot of this shit left in the machine. My wife try to kill me.

Upd

All shit gone after three empty runs. Result is really great. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• avout
      • Nov 2011

Since we're asking about what's dyeable, what about raw silk?

Comment

• Prezens
        • Aug 2011

I wanna dye some grey dropcrotch pants (cotton) jet black, from earlier posts I think il be using dylon. Any tips?
        Also, does method used affect results, I.e using a washing machine or manually. Can someone with experience with both answer that
        And thirdly, can anyone reply to a question already posted about wether adding extra salt to the dylon salt will enhance results.

Thanks
        One man's style must not be the rule of another's.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
          • Mar 2007

^

have used dylon's velvet black many times, manual method, to good success.
          personal tips ... more is better ... use more of the dye than needed, use more salt than required (much more), soak longer (if in no hurry, overnight).
          Last edited by Acid, Bitter and Sad; 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Froberg
            • Sep 2008

Any recommendations for bloodred? Cotton.

Thanks.

Comment

• Prezens
              • Aug 2011

Just dyed the dropcrotch pants i spoke about above, and I am very pleased with results. dylon definitely competent for cotton dyeing.
              One man's style must not be the rule of another's.

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

gonna try and dye some silk
                since it has to be done with low heat i'm wondering if an all-purpose dye like dylon would be effective or if i'll need something special
                trying to get the darkest of blacks. blacker than black. blacker than SZ. blacker than wu tang clan

Comment

• drew
                  • Jul 2012

^You have to use an acid dye, I'd assume the Dylon is meant for plant based fabrics.

Comment

• Piffen
                    • Aug 2007

Yeah, you won't get a deep black with Dylon dye.. Tried to dye one of those R O Lillies double layer 3/4 jersey pants in a cotton / silk mix. Didn't turn out too well.

Tried to go from drkshdw to black, used Dylon velvet black. After having cooked them on the stove I threw them in the washer. Two packs of dye, two different occassions. I gave up, ended up with the same result both times. Uneven brownish black, looks like shit.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                      Sanforization is a physical treatment. In all likelihood however you dyed the jeans probably wasn't adequate.
                      I'm not so sure about this. I dyed them with a bunch of other cotton items each time, and the rest came out a flawless deep black...
                      I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

sanforization involves soaking the cotton fibers and pulling them through rollers. the cotton gets wet and agitated, which causes it to shrink; same process that makes unsanforized cotton shrink in the wash. this is done before the cotton is spun into fabric and has no more effect on the final color than any of the other treatments cotton fibers undergo.

black dyes are just heavily saturated blue or purple dyes, so that you ended up with a navy instead of a black means you committed some error in the dying process.

Comment

• tigo
                          • May 2009

With Dylon hand wash velvet black, a silk/paper blend knit I had came out gunmetal-blue.

Not dark, deepest-of-winter kind of black, but I didn't mind. The package did say silks will not retain all the dye so it will be a lighter shade.

Comment

• diamonds
                            • Dec 2006

Does anyone know about redying/overdying moleskin? Got a coat with some really bad sunbleaching and would like to blacken it...

Comment

• swims
                              • Jan 2012

moleskin is just a cotton weave; i used some dylon washing machine dye while back on moleskin and it turned out really well.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                                sanforization involves soaking the cotton fibers and pulling them through rollers. the cotton gets wet and agitated, which causes it to shrink; same process that makes unsanforized cotton shrink in the wash. this is done before the cotton is spun into fabric and has no more effect on the final color than any of the other treatments cotton fibers undergo.

black dyes are just heavily saturated blue or purple dyes, so that you ended up with a navy instead of a black means you committed some error in the dying process.
                                I didn't end up with a navy with any of the other thirteen or so cotton garments i dyed in the exact same batches. This would lead me to think it was something about the fabric, since I dyed them twice with different sets of cotton garments, and in each case, every other garment came out flawlessly. I'm failing to understand how you're so quick to impute error. It may have been some other treatment to the fabric (they were distressed dior clawmarks) but I would be curious what a singular error would be that somehow involved those particular jeans with two separate batches, done in different places, with different water, different washing machines, etc.
                                I am not who you think I am

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎