X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

Don't feel bad.

I blame SZ for my obsession with cat gifs.
    sain't

Comment

• 8bpc
      • May 2010

Originally posted by lionlimb View Post
      For years I just wore straight Rose Otto, mixed with a bit of Frankincense in the winter and Bergamot in the summer. I'm trying to move into more complex scents, but not having the best luck. I picked up a dab of By Kilian Rose Oud, but to my nose it has an intense powdery sweetness. I'm not a fan of Patchouli, which I suppose cuts the sweetness of many "dark" rose perfumes, and I assume that many musk-based scents would read too sweet to me. Anyone got recommendations?
      This made me think of Incense Rose Eau de Parfum by Tauer Perfumes. It does have a patchouli note so I'm not certain you will like it, but given your Rose and Frankincense combination you should sample it.

Comment

• lionlimb
        • Feb 2013

I tried the Le Labo rose and was disappointed. So powdery and soapy. Thumbs down.

I also realized that I should give patchouli notes a chance, because a well blended scent will probably not smell like the trainhopping crusty guy I dated in highschool.

So now I've got a sample binge on its way to me! On the rose spectrum, I'll soon be dabbling through decants of:
        Histoires de Parfums - Rosam
        Miller et Bertaux - Spiritus / Land #2
        Frederic Malle - Noir Epices, POL
        L'artisan - Voleur de Roses
        Floris - China Rose (because I'm forcing myself to try ONE fruity floral like a two year old with broccoli)

I've already got too long of a list piling up for my next sample order, and those two Tauers are at the top! Although I'm a bit worried about the oakmoss note in the Rose Chypree. Oakmoss and I don't usually get along.

I also had a very stern talk with myself about the fact that I live in Texas, where the average temp is 90º for so much of the year. Woollen knits and spicy oriental frags may be my favorites, but they're not always feasible.

So blindly trying to buy something that doesn't smell like vampire christmas cookies, I ordered:
        A Lab on Fire - What We Do in Paris is Secret, Anonyme
        Miller et Bertaux - Green, Green, Green
        L'Artisan - Couer de Vetiver, L'eau D'Artisan,
        Histoires de Parfums - 1899 Hemingway
        Serge Lutens - Borneo 1834
        Last edited by lionlimb; 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM.
        not baller

Comment

• Shifts
          • Jul 2013

Some nice choices there, and quite varied choices too, even though a few of them circulate around the same notes. Noir Epices I've always had troubles with, it has some metallic twang that keeps bothering me. Voleur de Roses was one of my first niche buys and even though I ended up selling my bottle. I still hold it close to my heart. There is almost nothing like it around.

l'Eau de l'Aristan sometimes gets slagged as boring and without character, but I def. don't agree. It was also one of my earlier purchases (10+ yrs ago) and I fell in love with its grassy sensation and almost feeling like bottled sunshine.

Seeing the listing and hearing you want to go down the patchouli route, Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady could be sometime to consider.

Comment

• lionlimb
            • Feb 2013

Slowly sorting through these decanter. First impressions, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by the Frederic Malles. I need to give them more time, but they feel a bit... Perfumey? I know that's obvious, but I was expecting something a bit more unusual after all the hype.

And this is not helping me at all in my search for a hot weather frag, but after an initial sniff, I just doused myself in serge lutens borneo. Despite the cacao and spices, it totally avoids any Yankee candle gourmand tendencies. I'll probably taint every wool and cashmere item I own with it.
            not baller

Comment

• resolution653
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by rider View Post
              has anyone tried la labo ylang 49? which serge lutens does it most compare too (because i'm most familiar with those) and is it lasting?
              not familiar with any lutens but i have worn ylang 49 a bit over the last week, in dry weather and with my skin that doesn't give longevity to fragrance it is LASTING, lol. i am not usually sensitive to perfume but this is 30%. i over applied first go, ended up being cloying. im not experienced with florals so i can't really describe the scent. while i do like the scent itself, it isn't my style. would be great for women imo.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

An thoughts on Dior's Oud Oriental? I got a free bottle through work and was wondering if it was worth checking out, or if I should just give it away

For reference, I only wear Lutens' Sa Majesté la Rose, and sometimes Fleur d 'Oranger in summer.

Is this perfume something I should check out? Will I like it?

Comment

• Shifts
                  • Jul 2013

The easiest way to find out must be to try your bottle?

No matter how much others might say something is perfect for you, trying it yourself is the most important thing. I've bought countless of "blind" bottles in my early days, and have been disappointed nearly as many times. Going on what other people say about a fragrance is risky.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

I guess, but I'd like to know if it's an amazing fragrance or not. If it isn't, best to put it in my gift cabinet because I'm quite happy with what I have

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

It's beautiful, but if you're generally into florals, it may not be your type of scent.
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

I guess I'll try it, thanks (I was actually just waiting for you to respond ahah)

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

I'm flattered!

To be clear though - are we talking about Oud Ispahan or Oud Elixir (or maybe Oud Leather?) All are beautiful frankly. Ispahan is the most overtly floral of the bunch. The Elixir is the most beautiful and natural, but not for everyone. Oud Leather is some potent stuff. All are potent actually, but the Leather can be a bit smothering.
                          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

It's Oud Ispahan

I'm wearing it today. I love the cleanliness of the smell, but it's not super long lasting, is it? maybe I didn't spray enough
                            Last edited by galia; 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

I found it to be long lasting, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

I retract what I said, I just couldn't smell it earlier because I was eating couscous. now that there's no food around I can smell it again and it's still just as clean. It's lovely, I'm glad I'm keeping it ahah

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎