Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite coffee table books (photography, artist monographs, fashion bible, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Dieter Rams. Less but Better

A must have for any designer.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ulrich133 View Post
      I finally bought The Art of Rhinoceros Horn Carving in China the other day...can't wait for it to finally arrive :)

tragic and grotesque...

Comment

• fncyths
        • Apr 2010

Dieter Rams

Out of all the books on Rams' design career Less and More is my favorite and stacked with the most information. All great reads!

I have an early version of snow white's coffin that's one of my favorite pieces of my design masters collection.

As for Nicholas Alan Cope, all you in NYC will be able to see his work in Patrick Parrish's new gallery/showroom. He moved locations from his old place Mondo Kane.

Nice few posts
        Originally posted by Shucks
        it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
        Originally posted by interest1
        I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Yes, I should get that one, too, fcynths
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ulrich133
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
            tragic and grotesque...
            I would say that's rather debatable....whether the aesthetic appeals to you or not, i think the skill of the carvers at least should be admired.

Regardless of how society (for the most part) views the material from which the sculptures are made.

If we're going to go down the path of demonizing art for the materials used to produce it, why not label all ivory and tortoiseshell carving as grotesque, along with paintings that used toxic pigments that oftentimes killed the the workers that made them?

While we're at it, lets also not forget the huge numbers of tree and plant species wiped out by furniture and decorating fads over the centuries.

Comment

• Senpai
              • Apr 2014

Can cookbooks be considered "coffee table books"? I keep them throughout my place for people to look through as the photography in a lot are fantastic, and they are also utilitarian in the sense I can use them for recipes. I'm a huge fan of cuisine myself, and whenever I find a chef I genuinely love, I look into wether or not they've wrote a cookbook.

Comment

• bukka
                • Sep 2011

Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Anyone has seen this guy's work? He has an artbook out and since we're on the topic of Gosha I thought this might be another angle to the post-soviet youth culture angle.

http://kirillsavchenkov.com/
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• absintheparty
                    • May 2013

Black and white photography stuff that's really special:

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ A fine line between art (top) and kitsch (bottom) :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Yeah but Michael Kenna does wall calendars. That to me loses all artistic credibility when you are placed next to Garfield 2014 at the Barns and Noble.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ oh! god! does he?! Shame. I have that Japan book - beautiful photography.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• absintheparty
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            /\ A fine line between art (top) and kitsch (bottom) :-)
                            Ha, totally see what you mean.
                            I guess the reason why I'm so drawn to Brandt is just how close he gets to a lot of his subjects

Comment

• Shogun8
                              • Sep 2013

Photography: Ed Burtynsky, Thomas Ruff, Thomas Demand, Gregory Crewdson, Andreas Gursky, etc.

Japanese Architecture, Design, Gardens, Joinery, Bonsai, Suiseki, etc.

Architectural Monographs: FLW, Carlo Scarpa, Philip Johnson, Luis Barragan, Tadao Ando, etc.

Artist Monographs: Lucio Fontana, Anish Kapoor, Cy Twombly, Anthony Caro, Fernando Botero, etc.

Artist Monographs: Paul Wunderlich, Alberto Giacometti, Isamu Noguchi, Eduardo Chillida

Bruce Weber Collection: Let's Get Lost, The Andy Book, O Rio de Janeiro, Bear Pond, No Valet Parking (every Bruce Weber book, except last two All-Americans - not all shown here)

Antoni Tapies Monographs

Artist Monographs: Ruud Van Empel, Ron Mueck, Brian Jungen, Wim Delvoye, Glenn Ligon, Various Chinese artists

Artist Monographs: Mark Lewis, Taryn Simon, Candida Hofer, Pieter Hugo, Kehinde Wiley, Philip Lorca di Corcia, etc.

Comment

• malaesthetique
                                • Mar 2009

Lost in a fire, up there on my list of things to repurchase. The best photos from this book aren't even visible online.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎