Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raddy
    • Oct 2008

@vanna - That slow roasted pork shank @ ceiba is one of my favorite dishes at any restaurant ever. I have a hard time not getting it when I go there. That soup with the tomato sorbet was also incredible. Ceiba and Tenpenh are severely underrated imo. (They seem like typical lame east coast ripoff fusion spots but they have actually creative and REALLY deep menus)

Never been to Bisto Bis. I don't really remember the name too well but it seems like it's been around for a long time.

Taberna del Alabardero is also worth hitting before summer's out just for their super creamy, buttery gazpacho. (I think you have to just ask for it, not sure I ever saw it on the menu)

I miss DC restaurants. Chicago is supposed to be a foodie city but I don't like all of the microgastronomy stuff. =( Fuck foams and combining expensive shit to make it taste like a McDonald's strawberry milkshake.

Unrelatedly, I finally made it to Chez Panisse this summer and was astonished at its amazingness, which is a hard amazingness to really pin down exactly -- I think its the lo-key, elegant subtelty the place exudes.
    Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• Pinoy
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
      just did heston's ultra slow roasted chicken...it worths the time...I need to do it again with a better quality chicken tho
      i tried this recipe last week– how did you go about sauteing the entire bird? i ended up splashing hot oil everywhere!! that being said, the meat was AMAZING.

have you tried making zuni cafe's roast chicken before? it's fairly straightforward and also gives excellent results :)

Comment

• Vanna
        • May 2008

Originally posted by raddy View Post
        @vanna - That slow roasted pork shank @ ceiba is one of my favorite dishes at any restaurant ever. I have a hard time not getting it when I go there. That soup with the tomato sorbet was also incredible. Ceiba and Tenpenh are severely underrated imo. (They seem like typical lame east coast ripoff fusion spots but they have actually creative and REALLY deep menus)

Never been to Bisto Bis. I don't really remember the name too well but it seems like it's been around for a long time.

Taberna del Alabardero is also worth hitting before summer's out just for their super creamy, buttery gazpacho. (I think you have to just ask for it, not sure I ever saw it on the menu)

I miss DC restaurants. Chicago is supposed to be a foodie city but I don't like all of the microgastronomy stuff. =( Fuck foams and combining expensive shit to make it taste like a McDonald's strawberry milkshake.

Unrelatedly, I finally made it to Chez Panisse this summer and was astonished at its amazingness, which is a hard amazingness to really pin down exactly -- I think its the lo-key, elegant subtelty the place exudes.
        Hey raddy, I'm really looking forward to eating at Ceiba now, thanks! I'm not particularly fond of pork (Unless it's bacon), but who knows, I might give it a go.

Took my friends and I about 42 emails to finally figure out a day and time next week that will work for all of us. Kind of excited to experience what all the fuss is about.
        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
          have you tried making zuni cafe's roast chicken before? it's fairly straightforward and also gives excellent results :)
          Zuni's chicken was revelatory when I first had it. It is never quite as good when I make it, but it comes close.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Pinoy
            • Dec 2006

^ most likely due to the fact that Zuni uses a brick oven, which as I'm sure you know lends a smokey flavor to the chicken

Comment

• Vanna
              • May 2008

Originally posted by raddy View Post
              @vanna - That slow roasted pork shank @ ceiba is one of my favorite dishes at any restaurant ever. I have a hard time not getting it when I go there. That soup with the tomato sorbet was also incredible. Ceiba and Tenpenh are severely underrated imo. (They seem like typical lame east coast ripoff fusion spots but they have actually creative and REALLY deep menus).
              So, I just got back from Ceiba, and wanted to let you know that I ordered the slow roasted pork shank based on your recommendation. My opinion: It was pretty fucking sublime. Though, the portion was huge, and I was only able to finish half of it. Empanadas were good too, and I sampled a bit of each of my friends dishes, and they were all exceptionally done. Though, coming from a non-foodie, I'm impressed with almost anything that isn't flash fried and filled with growth hormones.
              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Arcane
                • Jul 2008

I'm looking for a good book (preferably THE book) on sushi/sashimi and making it. It's supposed to be a present but searching the web for information is hard, as always when it comes to books. I'm looking for something handling more than recipes, like techniques, traditions and so on. English is a must and nice photos is a bonus...

Hit me!
                Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                  ^ most likely due to the fact that Zuni uses a brick oven, which as I'm sure you know lends a smokey flavor to the chicken
                  I did, but I hadn't thought about it. I will experiment.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Pinoy
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    I'm looking for a good book (preferably THE book) on sushi/sashimi and making it. It's supposed to be a present but searching the web for information is hard, as always when it comes to books. I'm looking for something handling more than recipes, like techniques, traditions and so on. English is a must and nice photos is a bonus...

Hit me!
                    Not sure if this is feasible for you, but I've always learned the most about sushi by going to a traditional sushi restaurant (none of those nasty rolls!), sitting at the sushi bar and ordering omakase, which is where the sushi chef picks the freshest food of the day. showing a genuine interest in the chef's craft and asking a lot of questions definitely goes a long way

now if you're interested more in how to make sushi vs learning about what you eat (different kinds of fish and rice, which waters are the best for what fish, seasons, etc)... not sure if I can help you there..

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

hola piñatas.
                      I'm moving to stockholm (hopefully, hunting an apartment like a bloodhound.) to study in the beginning of 2010.
                      would really like some good restaurant names and locations in the following categories:
                      yakiniku (not the real deal, just beef with that sweet/salty sauce)
                      pasta
                      pizza (has to be with mozzarella!! :))
                      hamburgers (not fast food junk)
                      and some more luxury tasting menus

thanks in advance!

Comment

• een
                        • Sep 2006

munch
                        Not exactly answering your question, but here's a start:

In general I've been a little underimpressed with the restaurants in Stockholm with the exception of Michelin starred or traditional Swedish, so I'll keep my recommendations to those - I hope some of the Stockholm members can chime in and add because I'd like to find some decent options myself...in any event...
                        (and keep in mind I'm from the US)

For full on tasting menus, the two best options are:

Mathias Dahlgren
                        Grand Hôtel Stockholm
                        Södra Blasieholmshamnen 6

Frantzen / Lindeberg
                        Lilla Nygatan 21

Matsalen at Mathias Dahlgren is probably the best all around - Dahlgen is a pretty amazing chef and completely in control here - the setting is luxe and comfortable, in a modern hotel sort of way (makes sense given its location - in terms of vibe, I actually prefer the more informal Matbaren next door, still very good)
                        Frantzen/Lindeberg in Gamlastan is tiny, and much more spare in it's decor, and a bit less consistent in cuisine - aims higher at times but more hit and miss. Unlike Dahlgren they only do a tasting menu.
                        Expect to pay about 1300 SEK per person for food alone - wine pairings will run another 550 SEK or so.

Other restaurants I like but are def. not at that level:

F12
                        Fredsgatan 12

Lux
                        Primusgatan 116 (Lilla Essingen)

Esperanto
                        Kungstensgatan 2
                        (there is a pretty good sushi restaurant below, forget the name...
                        not Tokyo good, not even LA or NY good, but...)

All kind of expensive, not brilliant food but nice settings.

The closest thing I've found to a really good burger is the seared steak tartare (served with very good fries) at:

Bakfickan
                        Operahuset
                        Jakobs Torg 10

A bar in the Operahuset (I also recommend the Operabaren next door - same kitchen) that specializes in trad. fare like stekt salt sil and köttbullar - you get the idea, but done very well. My favorite place for that sort of food is:

Pelikan
                        Blekingegatan 40

A turn of the century hall (though the restaurant didn't move there untill the 1960s), very informal old school atmosphere, candles at the tables...the food is very good and pretty well priced. I love the flasklagg (boiled pork knuckle) and often find myself here on Sunday afternoons for a late lunch of herring, beer and aquavit.

Best of luck with the apartment hunt, Stockholm is one of the toughest cities I've found to find an apartment vacancy.
                        Last edited by een; 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• swych
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Bring The Noise View Post
                          yeah. overrated imho, though it was memorable.

what you want to know?

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

nice and well put up reply, thank you sir.
                            heard many good words about the mathias dahlgren restaurant, planning a visit after I've done something good in school :D
                            have not even heard of most of the others. bakfickan and operahuset are well known, I think?
                            well I guess I will have a look what those undefined restaurants you recommended have to offer :) I think the Sushi restaurant you mean is Råkultur? I did a quick google and found that name. japanese sushi something...
                            well, many thanks again!

Comment

• nictan
                              • Jul 2009

nothing beats mom's home-cooked food

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎