• Aug 2009

new to me.

how to eat a watermelon

fork cartel. archimedes. marshmallows.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post
        still clumsy around a kitchen, but lithuanian cravings drove me to it...
        you made these?

color me impressed...i watched my grandmother and her sisters do it for years, and it's no small task. also, big props for the mushroom sauce. and the delicious looking šaltibarščiai in the background.
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
          i just discovered this today at tj's..
          this should be banned...it's too good. and it's dutch??

you put this on a shoe and i'll eat it..

I want this. Or Lotus Speculoos Crunchy. Too bad nothing like this is available in Germany and 1 small jar including shipping sums up to around 10 bucks. Equals 3 or more @ NL retail.
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• gotoid
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
            I want this. Or Lotus Speculoos Crunchy. Too bad nothing like this is available in Germany and 1 small jar including shipping sums up to around 10 bucks. Equals 3 or more @ NL retail.
            I havent had this ever.. Don't thing I can find it.. but the sound of it makes me drool.

Comment

• mike
              • Dec 2006

the store bought spread tastes good, but is pretty expensive. i prefer a homemade version. if you put a bunch of biscoff in a food processor and then mix the resulting powder into a basic buttercream you end up with something far superior to what you will find in a jar.

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

My current best way to cook entrecote/ribeye:

Start with 2-2.5 cm thick steak (~1 lb/450 grams)
                add kosher salt, pepper.
                Sous Vide for 2 hours @127 f.
                sear super hot for 45 seconds/side in ghee

Serve immediately (don't wait, with sous vide it's not hot enough to need that, you just get a colder steak) with a pat of butter, and some black salt (or whatever, some kind of big crunchy salt).

... my dinner guest canceled. I just ate two pounds of steak.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Fenix
                  • Aug 2010

^I have to get some sort of sous vide setup. Been looking to take the leap for a while.

Sounds amazing. I had no clue that you wouldn't need to let the steak rest. Makes sense from the explanation though.
                  Originally posted by hausofblaq
                  Grow up.

Comment

• MoFiya
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                    My current best way to cook entrecote/ribeye:

Start with 2-2.5 cm thick steak (~1 lb/450 grams)
                    add kosher salt, pepper.
                    Sous Vide for 2 hours @127 f.
                    sear super hot for 45 seconds/side in ghee

Serve immediately (don't wait, with sous vide it's not hot enough to need that, you just get a colder steak) with a pat of butter, and some black salt (or whatever, some kind of big crunchy salt).

... my dinner guest canceled. I just ate two pounds of steak.
                    Isn't kosher salt = any other salt? I.e. there's nothing to be kosher about?
                    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

it's used to kosher meats. the size and shape of the crystals does some science shit to the water inside of the food, which table salt is incapable of. but really any large, granular salt will have the same effect, so you can use sea salt or whatever too.

here's my method to making steak
                      it is the 27th secret shaolin technique
                      - cover the steak in a ton of kosher salt on both sides. use way more than you think you need. just keep piling it on there. seriously. then stick some minced garlic and rosemary sprigs on it. cover it and stick it in the fridge at least 1 hour for every inch in thickness. or more. if you really want a great steak.
                      - take it out like fortyfive minutes before cooking and rinse the salt off. reseason. you can use more salt but it probably won't need it. at this point i normally crack some black pepper on it, maybe add some brown sugar, and replace the garlic and hold some rosemary on the side for after it's cooked.
                      - get a cast iron skillet or a thick steel skillet and get it really hot. steam should be coming off the surface and you should be in danger of ruining it. put some oil that can handle the heat in and gently lay your steak down. max one minute. when you flip it put some butter and the rosemary on top. another minute max. take it out and rest it.

i made it blue rare once but tbh rare is a bit tastier. blue was interesting tho.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                        Isn't kosher salt = any other salt? I.e. there's nothing to be kosher about?
                        Kosher salt is "fluffier" than normal salt, so you can spread it more evenly on a piece of meat without using more salt. That's the only reason.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faye
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
                          ^I have to get some sort of sous vide setup. Been looking to take the leap for a while.
                          same here! unfortunately any currently available sous vide devices are too expensive for my budget (well...except THIS one maybe.)

that's why I'm really looking forward to this little thing here:
                          http://www.nomiku.com/

Comment

• Halber Mensch
                            • Oct 2011

Damn I've totally forgotten this thread, but as it looks like I rediscovered it just at the right time. I'm pretty enthusiastic about cooking for a while now and also looking forward to improve my 'steak skills'.

It's also quite obvious that this should be the only thread where Saarbrücken (which is actually my hometown) plays any role.
                            MoFiya, can you actually tell something about Le Noir or Schlachthof Brasserie. I'm looking for some dining location to celebrate a special event and so far I'm leaning towards Hashimoto, but it's always nice to have alternatives.

Comment

• lalilulelo
                              • Sep 2012

if you're ever in Seattle by the UW campus, this is the spot. cash only, open till 3am. family came from Jordan and opened this spot up. Used to go there every night.

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

the butchering of spinalis dorsi aka ribeye cap..

i love this cut, it's the best piece imo...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎