Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoFiya
    • Sep 2007

This forum is so funny. I mean, how big is the fraction of people in the population that own a sous vide machine? I bet most people don't even know what it is.
    And here? Not that people are only interested in, there are in fact several people owning such a toy
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Theetruscan is a true connoisseur though of all things food related to say the least! The man knows everything there is to know about coffee, foods... the list goes on!
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

^ this sounds nice, you guys should contribute more often.
        Or maybe share recipes you are currently developing?

At the moment, I am enjoying the holidays at home and cook whenever I can. Made some ravioli with spinach filling and sage butter today.

Also, looking forward on a trip to BCN over silvester - the city has some great restaurants and excellent sea food.
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• munch
          • Aug 2008

I've been using the Sous-Vide Supreme Demi and I think it works pretty darn good. I'm not really sure how much the slight temperature fluctuations affect the actual cooking of proteins and such though. but I've gotten great results with it. somewhat cheap and doesn't take up much space in the kitchen.

Comment

• uL7iMa
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
            Sous Vide options are contained machine or immersion circulator.

I have a contained machine (the Sous Vide Supreme). It is relatively affordable, and very convenient. It is not accurate to anywhere near the level of an immersion circulator though. I see fluctuations reported between -.5c and +.3c. I measure the fluctuation as slightly less than that, but still much more than a proper immersion circulator. The other contained machine is the Fresh Meals Solution/Sous Vide Magic. It has a fair number of parts, and is more of a pain as a result. It is also rather ugly. It is much more accurate than the Sous Vide Supreme.

For a home immersion circulator, the options are Polyscience and Julabo. Polyscience is even sold at Williams-Sonoma now, and one model is down to ~$800. Julabo will run $1000-1500. I think cheaper is better here. More inconvenient in that you need to provide your own water bath. Better in that you can use a water bath of any size you choose.

Short version:

Cheap and precise: Sous Vide Magic/Fresh Meals Solutions

Cheap and convenient: Sous Vide Magic

Better: Immersion Circulator, polyscience is cheaper.
            Awesome! Thanks for the info! (and thanks to MoFiya too!)..Did you mean to write that the Sous Vide Supreme was cheap and convenient?

I have taken a look at the Fresh Meals Solution website...Besides the option with the Temp. Controller + FMM Heater, they also have one with a cooker + temp controller..What are your thoughts on the FMM Heater?

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Thank you Albert!

I did mean Sous Vide Supreme, I fixed it in the original post, but the Supreme is the convenient one, the Magic the precise one.

The FMM heater is something designed after I last looked at FMS products. The guy who runs FMS is one of the original hobbyists and helpers at eGullet, and I would trust him to make something very good. The kits he has (FMM + poly tub instead of the older rice cooker kit) look very good. Also, he calibrates much more thoroughly than SVS, that's why he does a 48 hour immersion test before sending them out.

If it were around, I would have bought it instead of the SVS. That being said, I've not run into issues where the .5C fluctuations on my machine have been the limiting factor. I'm still user-limited.

Meat is ok in a Sous Vide, steak exactly the same all the way through is nice. But any sous vide related play must involve eggs. The texture can't be replicated. I've found everything between 62-64.5c (in .5c increments due to the limits of my equipment) to be delicious. You must douse the 62c eggs in water or the white is still runny, but the texture and flavor of the yolk in a good egg is unbelievable when cooked sous vide.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

^ this is hilarious! Guess what my dad has been cooking sous videover the past few days (even weeks)? Right, eggs.
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• PPK
                  • Oct 2011

Has anyone here like to eat spicy shrimp soup? (tomyumgoong)
                  The wind changed directions. But the soul never changes.

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

I love tom yum goong! I usually eat it with some black coconut sticky rice (forgot the name)

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Kirky
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2010

8g

great time

Last edited by Kirky; 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

i don't know if i want to reply to this. is it okay to reply to this?

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                            i don't know if i want to reply to this. is it okay to reply to this?
                            I felt the same way... heard it's sort of legal in Vancouver to grow your own though ?

I'm not sure if the taste is good on those things .. nothing I would cook with!

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

lol kirky. dig the h&m gloves btw. fuck poells.

Comment

• Patroklus
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by munch View Post
                                I felt the same way... heard it's sort of legal in Vancouver to grow your own though ?

I'm not sure if the taste is good on those things .. nothing I would cook with!
                                if they're grown in a sterile environment, they taste a bit like pistachio and I can stand to eat them outta the bag like chips.
                                if they're grown in a natural environment they taste like death. I put those in a peanut butter sandwich and eat it as quickly as possible.

i'm speaking hypothetically here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎