Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strauss
    • May 2012

I am obsessed to buy the pizza from the out side and now i want to make my favorite dish at home.So let me request to you that Please do share wit me some recipes to make the pizza at home.
    T Shirts With Quotes

Comment

• sinbad
      • Dec 2009

Has anyone here ever eat African food? Anyone who has come to post pictures? I want to know what they eat?

Because next month I will have to go to Africa, concerned about eating. And has anyone ever experienced African eat there.
      ART IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, NOT WHAT OTHERS TELL YOU IT IS.

Comment

• Verdandi
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Strauss View Post
        I am obsessed to buy the pizza from the out side and now i want to make my favorite dish at home.So let me request to you that Please do share wit me some recipes to make the pizza at home.

I don't know what kind of Pizza you prefer, but here's my nonna's recipe (it is italian pizza).

500 gr wheat flour (finely ground, the finer the better, we use TIPO 00)
        300 ml water
        2 tablespoons salt
        5 g yeast (dry or fresh, soesn't really matter)

if you want to add oil to the dough reduce water to 250 ml and add 3 tablspoons olive oil.

Tomato sauce

a little more than 2 pounds ripe tomatoes ( use really ripe and sweet ones)
        125 ml olive oil
        fresh basil (as much as you like)
        2-3 garlic cloves ( fresh garlic is better; do not crush it, chopp it into small pieces)
        salt and pepper

You can add all kinds of herbs, chilli, wine, whatever to that if you want to.

It's best to bake the pizza on a pizza stone.
        lavender menace

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sinbad View Post
          Has anyone here ever eat African food? Anyone who has come to post pictures? I want to know what they eat?

Because next month I will have to go to Africa, concerned about eating. And has anyone ever experienced African eat there.
          Highly variable. Where are you going?

Moroccan food is delicious. Ethopian food is fantastic. Eritrean food is pretty good. It's easy to eat well in all of these places. There are some other great cuisines as well.

East/Central Africa (especially Uganda/Kenya) has crap food. It's so bad the british ridicule it. Mali has abominable food too.

So on, and so forth.

Water can be dangerous some places, food is safe most everywhere, just inedibly bad in many parts of Africa.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

^ agreed, totally dependent on where you are
            Moroccan food is fantastic, Egyptian street food is good but anything classier sucks imo, Sudanese food is odd and worth passing up
            I've heard food on the coastal states is great

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

I've had Nigerian food, but not in Nigeria. Don't bother. Get McDonald's.
              It's the first time I had a sauce that tasted like... nothing. Even fast food sauces at least taste like sugar.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Went to Blue Ribbon sushi in SoHo. Sucked. Ridiculously overpriced and absolutely mediocre. Never again.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mike
                  • Dec 2006

anything blue ribbon is average at best, yet overpriced. maybe their bread is good but that doesn't even count

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

bakery used to be good, but the last time I was there (1½ years ago) they had already increased prices notably. Food was still good, but overpriced.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Bakery is great for brunch. Otherwise nothing to write home about. Although, there are so many great brunch places in NYC right now.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theseasonofmist
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by sinbad View Post

A little late, but to add to the comments above - first thing, unless you are in one of the larger South African cities, you should only drink bottled water when in Africa.

Where are you going? The "local" foods differ greatly - North and East have the Arab influences in their food - more spices/stews/less meat. The West African coast (especially Ghana and Nigeria) have a lot more fish/sea-food/meat and potatoes/wheat staples. The Southern part has more European influences in their cooking.

If you like steaks and you in Southern Africa, you must have a steak! The quality of the meat is the best you will ever taste. The choice of meat is also pretty spectacular.

If you need restaurant recommendations - I can provide for Accra, Lagos, Cairo, Luanda, Namibia, Harare and Chimanimani, Cape Town and Johannesburg - just send me a pm.

Comment

• Raw
                          • Oct 2009

Eye fillet, cooked sous vide, served pink, with a gorgonzola potato cake and a 78% cacao and Iranian fig jus.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

What temperature did you cook that at? 53-54? It looks delicious.

I've been doing almost all my food either sous vide or raw lately (not for any good reason, I just have no time). The drawback to this is it means all braising cuts at > 55c, so I can leave them and forget about it.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Raw
                              • Oct 2009

I didn't cook that , had it at a restaurant. But it was definately one of the tastiest beef dishes I've had. I usually love a good grassfed eye fillet steak cooked medium rare and this was the first time I tried sous vide. The meat was cooked perfectly, and without the charred flavours from grilling and basting like a steak, the natural beef flavour was so good. It does need a sauce though, where as I can have a steak without sauce.

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                                What temperature did you cook that at? 53-54? It looks delicious.
                                That's the temperature we cook it for a medium tasting experience (54°C to be exactly).
                                Plus, for the roast flavours:

I've also made the experience that it's very important to let the beef rest for around 10minutes or so after cooking it....
                                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍