X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nictan
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    Uh, Paris is actually really hard. I heard the 3-michelin-star restaurants are often more glamour than quality. Also, as michelin is french-based, they still rate restaurants with 3 stars that still cook like it's the 80s. Also, the atmosphere, service and interior is often very stiff.
    Not that I have anything to recommend - probably ask some of the Paris based members. What I am trying to say is: going to a 2 or 3 rated restaurant in Paris is not a guarantee for gourmet cuisine as you (or more excatly: I) would expect.
    ahhhh. understood. will search around more then. thanks!!

Comment

• Fenix
      • Aug 2010

I agree with mofiya on the Paris 2-3 stars. When I was there in May, L'ami Jean, Frenchie, and Spring all were excellent. We also considered Le Cinq and Les Papilles.

Also, think about what food you want to eat and do some research on the web. Chowhound or John Talbott's Paris are good places to start.
      Last edited by Fenix; 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM.
      Originally posted by hausofblaq
      Grow up.

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

@nictan - if you don't mind travelling around a bit, Arnsbourg has three michelin stars and is definitely worth a visit (even a detour).
        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• nictan
          • Jul 2009

thanks Fenix and MoFiya for the recommendations. Will take note of those.

Ive been doing some search on the web, but as we all know, there are tons of good restaurants in Paris, and i don't even know where to begin. Hahaha. I just want really authentic French stuff, not some touristy crap.

Comment

• kompressorkev
            • Dec 2006

nictan, o man wish i was in Paris.

if you have time, may want to check out some bistros, Chez l’Ami Jean or Chez Michel. don't forget falafel on rue de rosiers, and for macarons, Pierre Herme (great sorbets too), and for chocolate, Jean Charles Rochoux or Patrick Roger are quite nice. an interesting and popular place now is Yamt’cha, which is French-Chinese, but not sure if you want too many asian meals while in Paris (but if you're looking for something clean and quality, that won't break the bank, Restaurant Shu is pretty good).

for the nicer places, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon like you said is well-known, and quite good, but i'd spring for something different, Ledoyen or L'Astrance most likely. Also, Agape Substance is very nice, and a little more affordable than the other Michelin-starred restaurants. If you're really going to splurge, Gagniere would be the place to go in my opinion (but not Goya). though to be honest, you can get a great meal or two at some bistros like L'Ami Jean and maybe a prix-fixe lunch at a Ledoyen for the same price of going on one crazy dinner.

Comment

• Cookie_Monster
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post

for the nicer places, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon like you said is well-known, and quite good, but i'd spring for something different, Ledoyen or L'Astrance most likely. Also, Agape Substance is very nice, and a little more affordable than the other Michelin-starred restaurants. If you're really going to splurge, Gagniere would be the place to go in my opinion (but not Goya). though to be honest, you can get a great meal or two at some bistros like L'Ami Jean and maybe a prix-fixe lunch at a Ledoyen for the same price of going on one crazy dinner.
              I didn't like Ledoyen that much. The palate cleansers were fantastic and the bottle of champagne was delicious, but I find the entrees rather lacking.

Comment

• jscl
                • Jan 2010

Any recommendations for Los Angeles? I'm going to try to go to Osteria Mozza, Animal, and The Bazaar, but anything else I'm missing?
                JUST THE HITS

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

I would hunt down ALL the food trucks in LA if I went there to eat. and Animal, but you already mentioned that one. and go to Korea town?

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by jscl View Post
                    Any recommendations for Los Angeles? I'm going to try to go to Osteria Mozza, Animal, and The Bazaar, but anything else I'm missing?
                    idk about classy food cuz i'm a cheap date but aside from any food truck you should visit Pink's in Hollywood, Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles which has several locations, and Phillipe's downtown near LA Union Station. If you go to Venice Beach (and you should) then out of the four or five pizza places the one with the big vertical

P
                    I
                    Z
                    Z
                    A

sign out front is the best. I have no idea what it's called.

About two years ago I ate at this fucking killer Korean place near Chinatown. I don't know the name, but I could probably find it on Google maps.

Comment

• plasmoplas
                      • Sep 2010

recipe websites

for those of us who are on-the-go and try to keep a minimal house, does anyone have a recommendation for websites with recipes?

something pescatarian would be great, or even better something with flavourful sauces i can adapt to other dishes would be fantastic.

(i've tried epicurious - hit-n-miss, realsimple - decent meal but plain flavours, and so-on)

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I swear by the Ottolenghi's books, and I am sure some of his recipes are on the web. Zesty.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anomie
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jscl View Post

Red Medicine

For natural wine and and snacks:

Lou's Wine Bar

Comment

• olethomas
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
                            for those of us who are on-the-go and try to keep a minimal house, does anyone have a recommendation for websites with recipes?

something pescatarian would be great, or even better something with flavourful sauces i can adapt to other dishes would be fantastic.
                            i'm in the same boat. pescetarian and minimalist. i use this blog for nice occasions as well as just healthy food for ordinary days. it's vegan but lots of the recipes can be customized well for pescos.

this blog is also pretty neat for simple good meals.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

beet-root walnut hummus with sumac

BBQ seitan wings with pineapple and chives

A crumble...pear was involved

I actually forgot to take a picture of the main entrée...
                              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• aussy
                                • Jul 2011

mmm crumble
                                flavor combos sound to my taste

Been making lots of eastern european goodies lately, a weird departure from my typical japanese fare. Thinking of vegetarian (I'm not but typically eat as such) recipes can be tough though since so many signature dishes and flavors rely so much on the meat, but I'm getting a good handle of the flavors which is all I can ask

also have been baking a lot more
                                tons of baguettes, russian black bread, challah and rugelach

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎