• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: FOOD!

[quote user="wire.artist"]

minibar...albert, you are a lucky guy. I can give you some youtube links of the tv show jose andres does in Spain. It's all about home cooking nothing too complicated, but it's a good source to know about spanish recipes.</P>

Spain is heaven food wise...</P>

I want to go to El Bulli, but it's near impossible. BTW I have access to all El Bulli books, so if you ever need a proxy to buy them just PM sent me. Just in case they are not available in the US or at ridiculous prices.
    </P>

[/quote]</P>

Wire... El Bulli has been my #1 for the last 2 years. I'm slowly working up to it. This summer I'm doing a weekend trip with my girlfriend to Chicago to experience Moto and Alinea... I regret not doing The Fat Duck during my Europe stint. I have no good reason as to why not hahaha. After those two in Chicago, I'll have covered all the major US-based molecular gastronomy restaurants (minibar, WD-50, Moto, Alinea). In Germany we ate at Pata Negra and ReMake. I'm utterly hooked on this style and concept of cooking. </P>

Minibar was surprisingly easy to get two reservations for (maybe like Joey I just got really lucky... my dad and brother were in DC last weekend and prior to them going we tried real hard to score a couple reservations there but to no avail). El Bulli would be a totally different situation... they got a spot, you take it!!</P>

I envy your culinary opportunities in Spain though. Eating at El Bulli is at least a more reachable reality than it is for me across the pond hehehe. Have you eaten at the various El Bulli copies/diffusions available in Barcelona proper?The day that I do go to Spain, I definitely want to eat at Adria's favorite restaurant in townRafa's as well. Ohhh all the pata negra I can eataround town too!......</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="wire.artist"]

minibar...albert, you are a lucky guy. I can give you some youtube links of the tv show jose andres does in Spain. It's all about home cooking nothing too complicated, but it's a good source to know about spanish recipes.</P>

Spain is heaven food wise...</P>

I want to go to El Bulli, but it's near impossible. BTW I have access to all El Bulli books, so if you ever need a proxy to buy them just PM sent me. Just in case they are not available in the US or at ridiculous prices.
      </P>

[/quote]</P>

hmm, I may hit you up on the El Bulli books at some point ;) What's the price of them? They're outta control $$$ in the US. Available in english in Spain as well?</P>

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

Hey - any recommendations in Madrid/Segovia/Valencia? I'm going to be spending a couple of weeks in those locations this month (leaving Wednesday). I have reservations at Arce in Madrid and Ca'sento in Valencia. There are a couple of suckling pig/goat places around Segovia I want to try, and I've got the names of a couple of good paella lunch places outside of Valencia.

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Bit late but man, those are some fantastic photos there, Albert. Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed reading the descriptions and especially the personal touch of getting to meet Dufresne!</p>

I'm actually heading to europe for the first time next month, and The Fat Duck is on the list. Did you have any other great food experiences when you were over there? </p>

</p>

Here's a little snippet from last night, sea urchin egg cup. Waves of exquisite flavor, from warm yolk to earthy shiitake.
          </p>

</p>
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

i find this very delicious and very disgusting at the same time</p>

</p>

bacon and cheese omelette</p>

http://johnprolly.blogspot.com/2008/...ciousness.html</p>
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Duofold
              • Dec 2006

has potential...but my worry is that the oil from the cheese would de-crispify the bacon. i need by bacons severely crispy.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

Bit late but man, those are some fantastic photos there, Albert. Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed reading the descriptions and especially the personal touch of getting to meet Dufresne!</P>

I'm actually heading to europe for the first time next month, and The Fat Duck is on the list. Did you have any other great food experiences when you were over there? </P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Here's a little snippet from last night, sea urchin egg cup. Waves of exquisite flavor, from warm yolk to earthy shiitake.
                </P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

Avantster, sorry about the late response my friend!</P>

When traveling, I usually try to just eat locally and at neighborhood places. I only do the "nice place" thing if it's planned out. Aside from The Fat Duck in the UK I honestly don't know where else to recommend... In Berlin I could recommend a bunch of places that are great in their own right and by no means will destroy the wallet :)</P>

Comment

• Re: FOOD!

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Avantster, sorry about the late response my friend!</p>

When traveling, I usually try to just eat locally and at neighborhood places. I only do the "nice place" thing if it's planned out. Aside from The Fat Duck in the UK I honestly don't know where else to recommend... In Berlin I could recommend a bunch of places that are great in their own right and by no means will destroy the wallet :)</p>

[/quote]</p>

i completely agree with this; my favorite restaurant in london is an neighborhood gastropub -- the anchor and hope. it can be tough to find those places without local friends in the know.</p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

i went to ippudo ramen the other day. very good ramen, broth was delicious and wasn't THAT expensive. tasted better than ramen setagaya.</p>

finally went to sobaya yesterday too. i had the chicken curry soba. DERISHUS.</p>
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="xadam"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

Avantster, sorry about the late response my friend!</p>

When traveling, I usually try to just eat locally and at neighborhood places. I only do the "nice place" thing if it's planned out. Aside from The Fat Duck in the UK I honestly don't know where else to recommend... In Berlin I could recommend a bunch of places that are great in their own right and by no means will destroy the wallet :)</p>

[/quote]</p>

i completely agree with this; my favorite restaurant in london is an neighborhood gastropub -- the anchor and hope. it can be tough to find those places without local friends in the know.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Ah, thanks for this, guys. Must have missed your posts before. Anyway, the Fat Duck's off the list as it's fully booked out.
                      S'all good though - I trawled the Paris/London shopping thread and there were a few interesting suggestions there already!</p>

xadam, is that pub this one here (on the southbank close to Southwark tube stn)?
                      </p>

</p>

In other random news a new German bakery just opened close to my workplace. I go there every day to get lunch now - how I love German bread.</p>
                      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

[quote user="Avantster"]

Ah, thanks for this, guys. Must have missed your posts before. Anyway, the Fat Duck's off the list as it's fully booked out.
                        S'all good though - I trawled the Paris/London shopping thread and there were a few interesting suggestions there already!</p>

xadam, is that pub this one here (on the southbank close to Southwark tube stn)?
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

yes. ignore the ignorant review. go with 3+ people and get the lamb shoulder; talk to the bartenders about mogwai.</p>

also -- try the fat duck for lunch, same meal.</p>

Comment

• Avantster
                          ¤¤¤
                          • Sep 2006

ah-ha. thanks for the suggestion, xadam! I really do love my lamb.

Comment

• H-R
                            • May 2007

Quick question: does anyone happen to remember the name of the restaurant along tenth ave (i think) at meatpacking/chelsea area that has an opengarden within the restaurant? And has anyone tried it?

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

i went to ippudo ramen the other day. very good ramen, broth was delicious and wasn't THAT expensive. tasted better than ramen setagaya.</p>

finally went to sobaya yesterday too. i had the chicken curry soba. DERISHUS.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Are Ippudo and Sobaya assari-kei ramen shops as opposed to kotteri-kei?
                              </p>
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

[quote user="H-R"]Quick question: does anyone happen to remember the name of the restaurant along tenth ave (i think) at meatpacking/chelsea area that has an opengarden within the restaurant? And has anyone tried it?[/quote]</p>

you're probably referring to the park. you shouldn't go there.</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎