• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

yea seems like the beige is listed as brown
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

i think if i bought that rick bunny for a 3 year old, it would be destroyed in an hour..

got this instead and saved $680...
      and it's made in france, whoa!

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

i need help with another x-mas gift idea.

it's for my co-worker whom i've sat across from for 3 years and i still have no idea what he likes..

your suggestion would be for a guy in his 30's with a budget of $50. he likes techy stuff and spirit beverages..

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

a nice bottle of scotch.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

ok, i don't drink so please give specific names of spirits.

i know he likes gin.

also, we can increase the budget to less than $100..

thank you!

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I'm not a huge gin fan, but I know Hendricks Gin has a nice looking bottle and should be very high class, a bit out of the ordinary compared to the popular brands so should make a nice present.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                ok, i don't drink so please give specific names of spirits.

i know he likes gin.

also, we can increase the budget to less than $100..

thank you!
                ick.

plenty of good stuff out there - Macallan, Glenlivet, Alberour, etc. Just ask for a good bottle of single malt scotch. Any liquor store who knows what they are doing will sort you out. EDIT - we also have a whisky thread on SZ!!!
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

^^ or if it's me you're getting it for, a nice cognac would go down well with me also...

Comment

• eton97
                    • Dec 2008

my wife got me an indoor skydiving experience for a present (she has to go off-piste as i usually buy everything i want well before b'days etc)...fantastic experience floating/flying in a wind tunnel.....couldn't walk for 2 days after.....hard work on some strange muscles
                    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

Tobias Wong: conceptual designer

I would suggest any gift by Tobias Wong - the enfant terrible of the industrial design world, who died too young in last May.

His designs were witty criticisms of consumerism, the art world, and the system that produces art stars. It's pretty easy to buy his mass objects still.

I remember seeing his gold pills at a design store and being told that they were to be taken so the consumer "could sh•t gold." Such a prankster.

From his obit:
                      "A provocateur by nature, Mr. Wong operated at the fringes of the traditional design world, creating objects like a stack of 100 $1 bills, bound in peelable glue like a notepad; a gold-plated McDonalds coffee stirrer (a riff on the company’s plastic version that was apparently popular among drug users before being withdrawn); and an engagement ring with the diamond mounted upside down, so that the wearer could use it to scratch graffiti."

The last item he designed was a iPad case that mimicked a crumpled paper bag, for flying under radar during the those moments when you might run into your too-cool-for-school acquaintances on the F train to Bedford.

Anyhow, we lost a good one.

MBD
                      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

wong to me represents everything i hate about postmodern, self-absorbed, witty, jokey, extravagant and ironic design-art. this type of design is disingenuous in how it presents itself as 'criticism' of consumerism, when it actually just panders to the same.

in fact, our world more desperately than ever now needs design that solves problems, not design that sits in a corner smirking at the world.

ipad-jiffy bag - gimme a fucking break...

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

Dear Aw-Shucks,

My favorite sour-puss. Why the hate? Can't we just communicate through the international language of...dance?

In any case, I respectfully disagree. What is this world when it can't tolerate a mirror held at a critical distance reflected upon itself?

I don't think it hurts for Karim Rashid or Phillipe Starck to see how some others might view their decorative art. I image them reading about the re-appropriations of their work in their 2 ton bath tubs and laugh a bit to myself.

I hardly think Wong was a disingenuous designer. I, for one, need to be reminded that consuming will hardly transform me into something greater than the sum of my actions.

And critique (and following that, action) *is* the stuff of world historical transformation, no?

I shudder to think of this world had no monarchs been recognized as simple rascals with bigger bouffants than anyone else and, central to their power, the support of key military men. (And no, I'm not comparing Wong to the French Revolution. That took thousands of Wongs, as it were.) So Graves makes design that solves problems: the problem of the lay Target shopper who doesn't have elite design in her everyday life. I'm hoping that he and other design prima donnas - in industrial design, as in fashion design - have at least one day in their careers when they have their crowns removed, a mirror placed in front of themselves so that they can see themselves for the asses that they are.

And self-indulgence?! That's like -- and I just learned this as an English-as-a-second-language speaker -- "the pot calling the kettle black."

And don't flip out -- "the pot" is in the first person plural.

Now, let's play nice here...

Yours, forever and ever,

MBD
                          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

also shucks, i would just say that there's nothing wrong with being funny. just because one designer is being witty, sarcastic and funny doesn't mean another designer can't be out there solving the worlds problems.
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                              I, for one, need to be reminded that consuming will hardly transform me into something greater than the sum of my actions.
                              indeed...

let me be the first one to use this word to describe you:

fashionista.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                                wong to me represents everything i hate about postmodern, self-absorbed, witty, jokey, extravagant and ironic design-art. this type of design is disingenuous in how it presents itself as 'criticism' of consumerism, when it actually just panders to the same.

in fact, our world more desperately than ever now needs design that solves problems, not design that sits in a corner smirking at the world.

ipad-jiffy bag - gimme a fucking break...
                                hear! hear!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎