Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• mortalveneer
          • Jan 2008

more photos on the past page and a half than I can efficiently enumerate to praise.

the following is a bit out of the norm for the sz bulletin board, but neither do I feel like it has a place in WAYWT, due to nearly a year having passed since the photos were taken. They are admittedly narcissistic, but in my defense, were taken on my birthday (if there's a day for narcissism, that's it) last year, just before sunrise. The location is up a canyon highway, a rough hike over several ridges, and down into a derelict water treatment facility constructed around the turn of the twentieth century. On a whim I decided to go semi-formal and rather like the juxtaposition of such dress within these environs. Major props go to my friend the cameraman for getting up at quarter to four in the morning so we could get to the site before sunrise...maybe I'll post up a few other photos that I took once I get done editing them...

I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

mortal - the dark room one is good, and the first shot has some potential there, however something is itching about it to me...maybe it's the pose. Would've been good placement (imho) if you had your hands in pockets and were walking towards the foreground looking down, might've worked well with the blurred out facial aspect.
            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• mortalveneer
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              mortal - the dark room one is good, and the first shot has some potential there, however something is itching about it to me...maybe it's the pose. Would've been good placement (imho) if you had your hands in pockets and were walking towards the foreground looking down, might've worked well with the blurred out facial aspect.
              yeah one of my chief regrets is not posing for multiple shots or anything. I stupidly left behind my headlamps, so my friend and I were navigating this place by the dim pre-sunrise light, and using our flash on our cameras, hence the "deer-in-headlights" feel to many of the shots. It sure was a creepy place to be wandering around in such a fashion, especially with all the tanks and pits we could fall into somewhat readily...

possibly my favourite is the one in which I'm least apparent, walking uphill away from the camera. The silhouette is so foreign to such a natural environment...
              I am not who you think I am

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

mortal –forget about what you regret. the fact that you're climbing around these precarious ridges and sharp rocks dressed in your (designer) Sunday best rather than hiking gear makes the statement, regardless. Your first shot is the strongest, because you appear appropriately lost in your setting by not posing.

It reminds me of the time I scaled similarly rocky terrain–in a floor-length, tea-stained gauze dress from the 1930s. Barefoot. . Prefer being behind the camera nowadays ;)
                sain't

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

I like renting this peculiar little apartment in the Marais when I go to Paris.
                  The walls slope, the windows are kooky, and there's a giant black clawfoot tub in the middle of the room.

through the window...

...across the street...

...and around the corner:

sain't

Comment

• gnarjen
                    • Oct 2009

Interest1 is that your bike outside of CdG?

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

memory game..

Original

Original

Original

wrong fucking building!

Original

Original

wrong fucking station!

Original

Original

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

mortal, i think the pictures have the creative direction of a fashion editorial. i think most of the people here who go out of their way to do waywt pics in remote locations have the potential to do that sort of thing..

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

kinda blah day over here...currently looking up options for a camera purchase. Was recommended the X1???

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

^^ what is an X1?

i want to show you guys someone i met last summer who lives completely in the 19th century. i was taken by how anyone this day and age would want to live without electricity, plumbing, air conditioning, iphone… although he's got a laptop running off a solar panel, there's no internet connection. you can't pick up the phone and call him; you have to write to him and wait for him to respond (in pencil). before living on his own, he was traveling across the country for years on horse and buggy. and before that he was trained by the amish on how to live completely off the grid. but i shouldn't say that because he goes into town for provisions. i think as long as it was done in the 19th century, he'll continue to do it today..

here's his log cabin. it's like something out of a movie..

have cow, get milk. these guys need constant tending to.

the kitchen, open fire.

you are your own blacksmith out here..

have chickens, get eggs..

various hourglasses..

a Model-T pickup. i know this isn't 19th century, but it works better than the horse and carriage, which he still has. apparently you need to change the oil every 500 miles..

and of course, the photography is 19th century..

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

endersgame - Leica X1. What camera(s) do you use?

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

^^ 大佬 wants to give you his sd110 and save you the burden of dropping $2k on that leica..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎