• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Re: BEER (the wonderful world of)

Is he wearing a dead pig on his head? [79]
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

[quote user="maldoror"] Attila Csihar of Mayhem. He did some great work with the currently very uncool Sunn O))). [/quote]</p>

back in the day, he was something of a hero of mine even prior to mayhem. some of my bm friends love teasing me over the fact that i only saw him for the first time last year... and worse still, as part of pentemple (csihar, anderson, o'malley, ambarchi, striborg) and not mayhem.</p>

ok, back on topic. i'm currently exploring a range of sahti ales mostly originating from finland. </p>

quite possibly, the arte povera of beers, nay, the veritable lebenswelt of brewskis.</p>

from beeradvocate:
      </p>

"Said to be one of the only primitive beers to survive in Western
      Europe, Sahti is a farmhouse ale with roots in Finland. First brewed by
      peasants in the 1500s, mashing (steeping of grains) went down in wooden
      barrels, and then that mash would be scooped into a hand-carved wooden
      trough (a kuurna) with a bed of juniper twigs that acted as a filter.
      The bung at the bottom of the kuurna would be pulled to allow the sweet
      wort (liquid infusion from the mash) to pass through the twig filter,
      followed by wort recirculation and a hot water sparge (rinsing of the
      grains), all of which created a juniper infusion of sorts.
      "
      </p>

Comment

• Nullsleep
        • May 2008

I've just noticed this tread, good stuff.</p>

maldoror - I'll second that Duchesse de Bourgogne. There is absolutely nothing else that can satisfy me when that particular sort of craving comes.</p>

In general my tastes lean fairly heavily toward the Belgian ales, with Tripel Karmeliet, Westmalle Tripel and Rochefort near the top of the list. Recently I've been on an IPA kick though, with the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA totally blowing my mind everytime I have it.

</p>

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="maldoror"]

Attila Csihar of Mayhem.</P>

He did some great work with the currently very uncool Sunn O))). I liked them before Art Forum, and I'll keep liking them after . . . fuck the trendies.
          </P>

[/quote]</P>

do you even know what youre talking about. how old are you. wow, you liked them before banks. youre amazing. youve got the mentality of a 16 yr old. </P>
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

[quote user="philip nod"][quote user="maldoror"]

Attila Csihar of Mayhem.</p>

He did some great work with the currently very uncool Sunn O))). I liked them before Art Forum, and I'll keep liking them after . . . fuck the trendies.
            </p>

[/quote]</p>

do you even know what youre talking about. how old are you. wow, you liked them before banks. youre amazing. youve got the mentality of a 16 yr old. </p>

[/quote]</p>

???</p>

I think you misunderstand?
            </p>

I love banks's work with soma and think the exposure the band's gotten through the art world is fantastic. the music is great and deserves all the support it can get. the "trendies" issue is not with people liking the music, but with people who hate it because of its commercial-art affiliations. in general, most of the original fan base now hates Sunn for "selling out" or not being metal enough or Greg Anderson having a christian wedding (malefiq). i'm saying I think that's stupid.
            </p>

maybe you think that's stupid, and this was all pointless. in that case, I'll go back to fondling my inner child now.
            </p>

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

Re: Celebrate The Passion

</p>

Exists in an ambiguous relation to the crucifixion.
              </p>

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Re: Celebrate The Passion

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="maldoror"]

Flemish Sour Ale.</p>

I love me this shit. It's kind of an aquired taste (read: tastes seriously funky if you go in expecting guiness) but once you get there . . . HOLY FUCK THIS IS GOOD.</p>

The CCP grandmaster of the genre is Rodenbach, and their Grand Cru is maybe as good as it gets, albeit not the most friendly starter. To that end check out the Duchesse de Bourgogne or VICHTENAAR which is maybe the most metal sounding beer money can buy.
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

Duchess is, in many ways, nicer than Rodenbach, it's also more gentle. The Rodenbach Grand Cru is excellent, their cheaper beer is swill. I will hunt down Vichtenaar. </p>

If you like Flemish Red Ale (Both of these are Flemish Red Ales), you should check out some older Geuzes and the like. You lose the sweetness, and a bit of the balsamic flavor, and the "yogurtiness" is more pronounced. Just a fantastically "clean" beer.
                  </p>
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• maldoror
                    • Jun 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"]

Duchess is, in many ways, nicer than Rodenbach, it's also more gentle. The Rodenbach Grand Cru is excellent, their cheaper beer is swill. I will hunt down Vichtenaar. </p>

[/quote]</p>

hmm . . . I don't know. I think the rodenbach alexander may have been even better than the grand cru (unfortunately it's now discontinued because ??? I have no idea. WHY? WHY IS IT DISCONTINUED? bullshit . . . ) and the rodenbach red is always a pleasure to find on draft. </p>

[quote user="theetruscan"]
                    </p>

If you like Flemish Red Ale (Both of these are Flemish Red Ales), you should check out some older Geuzes and the like. You lose the sweetness, and a bit of the balsamic flavor, and the "yogurtiness" is more pronounced. Just a fantastically "clean" beer.
                    </p>

[/quote]</p>

sounds great. could you recommend a couple to start with?
                    </p>

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

[quote user="maldoror"]</p>

sounds great. could you recommend a couple to start with?
                      </p>[/quote]

There are quite a few, I love the unfortunately named Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille from Browerij Oud Beersel. And the, I believe, Iris from Cantillon. But, I would generally grab a different Geuze first, these are both quite startling.
                      </p>
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

vodka is so much better than beer!

sorry was drunk.
                        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                          • Jan 2007

[quote user="Canaduh0415"]in reference to the thread; anyone like Samuel Smiths..UK beer, Porter, Stout and Organic Ale...I find it very satiating.[/quote]</p>

My local's a Sam Smith's (Soho has quite a few); it's more cheap and cheerful than top class beer. The lager definitely isn't Belgian, although curiously the weissbier is quite good.
                          </p>
                          the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Real Real
                            • Feb 2007

Just drank a bottle of Ale Route de Poivre, from Dieu de Ciel - Rye beer flavored with peppercorns. Strong pepper flavor that complements the rye taste - good stuff.

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

hannover beer

well since i am in germany i feel the need to talk about beer. waiting for a delayed shipment, so had no work to do for two days, in a city that does not have much to do, other than circling through an H & M mall area and going to the spa. you end up eating lots of meat of all kinds and drinking a ton of local beer- herrenhauser pilsener. so delicious. oh and i have had many others as well but seem to always want the herren... they even take the local beer and age it in various casks- chestnut for one and serve it as a liquor. tastes like well aged scotch and really kicks your ass.

(oh no!!!! need to learn how to use the emoticons... not gut)
                              Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• endtroducing
                                • Aug 2008

I love and dislike a number of the beers mentioned in this thread; however, I STRONGLY urge anyone that can find TRAQUAIR JACOBITE indulge. It is phenomenal. Scottish style but brewed with coriander which adds a floral touch to the heavy scotch style. It is fucking incredible. The brewery is simply called TRAQUAIR HOUSE and I have enjoyed both their house ale and the Jacobite. For those whom like their cordovan scarred and their jackets object-dyed....
                                m.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎