• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Too true!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

I just found out about something called the Fairphone. I'm always suspicious about "ethical consumerism", but I can't not use a smartphone (current work situation prevents it) and I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the environmental and human cost of electronics production. So I was thinking about the Fairphone when my old iPhone dies. However, I would like to know if it's legit and actually doing what it says it is.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I read about it some time ago, apparently there are some components and certain parts of the manufacturing that can be considered fair, others (most?) are just like other smartphones because a lot of parts are outsourced. So to my understanding you could say its certainly not worse than any other phone, probably a bit more ethical, but not completely by any means. I think they haven't done a new model that would be currently available though?
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

I'm afraid of it being just a greenwashing gimmick. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks!

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

without knowing anything about the company really, I imagine its part marketing part interest to make an ethical product, but its not easy when you have a thousand components coming from who knows where. its probably the best option if you are looking for a new phone, but buying second hand (and either using it for its entire life length or reselling) is probably the most "ethical" option.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Yeah, I'm keeping my old iPhone until it dies, then we'll see

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

So, who's buying the Apple watch? Will it be their first product failure since Jobs 2.0?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
                  • Nov 2014

It´s about as useless as the iPad– which became a hit nonetheless.
                  I´m hesistant about making any forecasts. It´s gonna be an exciting year.
                  "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                  -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I find the iPad to be very useful as information consumption device. Much better than a laptop, especially if you consume the info on a couch. Also good for travel, as I can have a book, the NY Times, and the New Yorker in one handy place that takes up less space and weighs less.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

I like the idea of the iWatch and where it's heading. I don't know if I'll get one of these first generation ones (solely because the 2nd generation will be a huge improvement) but the move towards wearable tech is going to be huge and I think it will become as utilized as our phones are. As technology improves, we won't even need to pair the watches along with phones as the watches will be standalone devices. I think the convenience that the watch is promising will be fun though. A friend of mine has the Motorola smart watch and its pretty cool, using a phones texting, and the internet without having to actually pull a phone out is kinda helpful depending on what you're doing and where you are. Apple is also planning on tons of different watch straps and collaborations so who knows which SZ favorite might end up doing something for it? Rick and Thom are probably givens at this point, only a matter of time. I don't even wear watches anymore but the future is beckoning!

As for the iPad, I like it as a middle ground between my phone and laptop. Some of the things that I used to use my laptop for such as watching movies or keeping in touch with random things on trips are now just easier with the ipad because of the sheer portability of it. I do get however, that if one doesn't want to buy one, then you can easily use a phone or laptop for the same purposes but you'd just deal with the inconvenience of using your laptop in certain places or reading on a smaller phone screen.
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                        I like the idea of the iWatch and where it's heading. I don't know if I'll get one of these first generation ones (solely because the 2nd generation will be a huge improvement) but the move towards wearable tech is going to be huge and I think it will become as utilized as our phones are. As technology improves, we won't even need to pair the watches along with phones as the watches will be standalone devices.
                        Eleves, that's exactly what I'm hoping for.
                        blog

Comment

• yay
                          • Sep 2014

Ancient wearable computer technology was supposed to revolutionize computing back in 1992 don't you know.....Somehow the visionaries at NEC never realized th...

a 1992 vision of wearable technology of the future, definiteyl cooler than the iWach i'd say :p

i'm not sure if i actually want a smartwatch or not, but i definitely don't want an iwatch at the current prices.

Comment

• absintheparty
                            • May 2013

Thought I'd share the SZ inspired XBMC layout I've been using for the last while. thanks go to 550BC and all the brutalist architecture he posts, which I find inspiring.

Very simple, nebula skin with custom images.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Motherfucking Apple is trying to steal my money again. The new MacBook looks pretty damn good...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                                • Jan 2013

You got the email too eh. I happened to see it on their website a few weeks ago because my Air's 2gb memory was not happy with my 10+ tab browsing habits. Trying to tell myself I don't really need a new laptop, but Apple always knows how to open up my wallet.

I'd be interested in knowing if Jobs had any part in this new model, or if it's mostly improving upon the Air with hardware upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎