X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BUMMER
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rudo View Post
    It is not on the 32nd street but the best korean food near ktown is definitely cho dang gol on 35th st. Won jo is not bad but cho dang gol is much better, very healthy authentic korean food there. Not sure if they have bibimbap though.
    Rudo, why do you have to blow up my spot?
    That is my fave place for Soondoobu Jigae hands down. Helps that they make their own tofu. -And yes, of course they have bibimbap!
    You can walk down the street and grab the new Encens at Hudson News to read while you eat too!-Perfect...

Comment

• rider
      eyes of the world
      • Jun 2009

faust have you seen the original movie? not sure if the re-released version will live up to it, but curious because they usually do not.

has anyone see the dead sea scroll exhibit at discovery yet?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yes, I have seen the original and I too thought Hollywood would fuck it up, but Fincher + Reznor, gotta check it out.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rudo
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BUMMER View Post
          Rudo, why do you have to blow up my spot?
          That is my fave place for Soondoobu Jigae hands down. Helps that they make their own tofu. -And yes, of course they have bibimbap!
          You can walk down the street and grab the new Encens at Hudson News to read while you eat too!-Perfect...
          LOL sorry for blowing up your spot, but that place is already so packed, I don't think it can get much worse. They do take reservations though. If it's korean bbq I go to wonjo or miss korea, if not it's cho dang gol.

theaddict - make sure you check it out, hope you enjoy it. and YES I am korean.

Comment

• Cookie_Monster
            • Jan 2011

I have a question guys. How hard is it to get a reservation at Per Se? Does anyone have any tips if it is hard?

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Damn you resident NYC'ers.... Hooper and TakahiroMiyashita. Opening tomorrow!!

1st 30 people there will get a Hooper print.
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• thinbuddha
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                i've been having horrible sleep and feeling sick the past few days. i'm not doing it. the sickness and nightmares were all due to the thought that i may be living in brooklyn again. no bs.
                at least now I know that i really do hate that sh**hole.
                guess i'll start selling my plasma, at least i'll still be in lower manhattan.
                I've lived in Brooklyn for two years. Started with a rampant roach infestation that I finally got rid of. New place had minor roach issue and more recently mouse problem.

What do I have to do to catch a break?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

do not rent in an old apartment building especially near a commercial street. just as many roaches and rats in manhattan. east village is thoroughly infested.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theseasonofmist
                    • Feb 2011

Can anyone recommend a decent bakery? I'd quite like a Portuguese style bakery, that might be asking too much - but I'm not fussy regarding the location! I'll probably be staying at the Marmara Manhattan, as its convenient for work, but I did not manage to uncover (m)any decent restaurants/bakeries in the area last time I stayed there.

Comment

• CDG Diffusion Line
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      east village is thoroughly infested.
                      strange. i never had a problem.

Comment

• Wiggles
                        • Sep 2008

speaking of real estate... i'm looking for a new place since getting back from paris. anyone know of any studios in downtown manhattan (east village, les, etc)? any help appreciated.

Comment

• CDG Diffusion Line
                          • Dec 2008

you can have my old place.

will be in town next month.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theseasonofmist View Post
                            Can anyone recommend a decent bakery? I'd quite like a Portuguese style bakery, that might be asking too much - but I'm not fussy regarding the location! I'll probably be staying at the Marmara Manhattan, as its convenient for work, but I did not manage to uncover (m)any decent restaurants/bakeries in the area last time I stayed there.
                            I had to look that up, lol. You are really not in a good area for, well, anything, except the Central Park. Maybe there is something local, I don't know. The Fairway bakery is actually not half-bad and there is a new Fairway open on East 86 St. Beware of old people.

In general, bread in America is awful, even now, even in NYC, even if it's made by hippie lesbians in Williamsburg. We just don't have the same raw ingredients, end of story. Anyone who tells you we have good bread has not been abroad. I get thoroughly depressed every time I come back from Paris. All these pseudo-French bakeries we have are not up to snuff, unfortunately. But I suppose you should try Grandaisy, Balthazar (not the croissants,). In my experience the best baguette in NYC comes from Tomcat bakery (wholesale only, but sold in quite a few places) and Citarrela's own baguette is also good, and the best croissants from Financier (how awful our croissants are is a subject for another rant - let's just say I get better croissants at Tesco in London). Also, have not tried the Jewish Rye from Zabar's, but supposed to be good. Oh, and almost forgot - the bakery at Eataly IS good.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kirie
                              • Dec 2011

It's the lack of butter/fats in North American breads and pastries that make them so shit (it's the same problem here in Canada). Many places use oils or margarine in their breads, which makes them healthier but also negates that amazing crust out on the outside of a baguette, or the airy, flaky deliciousness of a croissant.

We're far too concerned with health and swearing off those evil saturated fats, and less concerned with how delicious butter makes everything.

Want to make awesome pastries at home? Find a recipe, and then double the amount of butter.

references- home baker for 15 years, taught by my mother who uses more butter than Paula Deen.

Comment

• t-bone
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                In general, bread in America is awful, even now, even in NYC, even if it's made by hippie lesbians in Williamsburg. We just don't have the same raw ingredients, end of story. Anyone who tells you we have good bread has not been abroad.
                                I dunno, I'd argue that you need to look as hard for good baguette in Paris these days as in New York. To your list I'd add the original Sullivan Street, which has a few locations now that Grandaisy split from them, and Roberta's is making some great bread but without widespread distribution thus far.

I'm still a fan of Patisserie Claude for croissant and other French pastries, but that's basically just like stepping into a French patisserie.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎