Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Nothing beats Momokawa and Jeffreys in this city...
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      I don't like it when they cram all sorts of nuts, fruit etc into bread
      As someone who just finished a nice huge slice of cranberry walnut brand, I must say, FOR SHAME!!!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

yuck

I'll take my fruits seperately, please!
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lazyguru
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
          Clinton Street Baking Company truly does have the best pancakes/french toast in the city. Don't even bother trying to go on the weekends though.
          You also gotta try the pancakes at the Mondrian soho restaurant, No 9 something... Yummy !

And the gas inducing egg white frittata , the fluffiest thing I have ever eaten

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            As someone who just finished a nice huge slice of cranberry walnut brand, I must say, FOR SHAME!!!
            That bread is so good, you've inspired me to pick some up the morning of the 27th, any other recommendations from Balthazar? I'm a fiend for bread so their loaf lined walls touch me in a certain way

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Just to clarify, in no way am I a defender of Balthazar bread (the aforementioned loaf came with me all the way from San Francisco's ACME bakery). I think they should be ashamed of their croissants. So far the best bread I have found in New York has been from Eataly. Expensive, but worth it. Union Market also carries a good selection - Thomcat baguettes (also better than Balthazar's) and Blue Duck loafs.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• aussy
                • Jul 2011

hah phew caught me before I started spreading rumors
                Balthazar is a block or two from my friend's place so its convenient, might have to save the recommendations for another visit, I'll make sure to skip the croissant

Comment

• Aleks
                  • Feb 2009

nvm..

Comment

• 8bpc
                    • May 2010

croissants

Faust's comment made me wonder, where do you get a proper croissant?

Comment

• lazyguru
                      • Jun 2008

Ceci-Cela a few doors down & Pain D'Avignon in the Essex market

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Nothing beats Financier in my opinion.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mike
                          • Dec 2006

the only good thing at balthazar bakery is the pistachio donut.
                          dominique ansel has become my favorite bakery by far, its the one i know of where you can actually watch them (including dominique himself) craft their pastries. if you are there when they open at 8am the pastry is usually still hot. plus the outdoor space in the back is super nice.
                          but for plain croissants, ceci cela is still my favorite. la bergamote is also good if you happen to be in chelsea.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

La Bergamote is fine, but still not flaky enough. I have to checkout the one you are talking about.

Or, totally forgot, Almondine in DUMBO is fantastic. THAT is the best baguette in NYC.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                              • Jul 2008

IF you have a sweet tooth the chocolate almond brioche at CeciCela is divine!

Comment

• interest1
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mike View Post
                                the only good thing at balthazar bakery is the pistachio donut. . .
                                And the little chocolate madeleines in the big glass jar.
                                I'll happily cram in there like packed sardines if I can have those.
                                sain't

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎