Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

ideas for a quick/grab and go breakfast somewhere between the theatre district and Battery Park? doing the touristy Liberty Island ferry trip on Labor Day so trying to find something that's open before 11am.

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Just moved into FIT...I have no idea what I should be doing in my free time lol. Does anyone have recommendations for fashion student shenanigans?
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Fashion week is coming up - lots of shenanigans.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
          Just moved into FIT...I have no idea what I should be doing in my free time lol. Does anyone have recommendations for fashion student shenanigans?
          Come hang out at Zfactorie............you will learn more than you will at FIT
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Fashion week is coming up - lots of shenanigans.
            Teach me in the fashion week ways Sensei Faust.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
            Come hang out at Zfactorie............you will learn more than you will at FIT
            PM sent!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              Teach me in the fashion week ways Sensei Faust.
              I would, but I won't be here
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                Do you like any restaurants that have been open for more than a year?
                Haha, the problem with NYC dining, according to many.

Not much to add to what's already been listed. The Pines is great though, also Battersby if you're out this way.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  I would, but I won't be here
                  Well pooh.

I was hoping for a Marcellus Wallace solution

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                    • Dec 2010

Cafe Gitane and Cafe Select are pretty standard go tos for restaurants that have been open more than a year.
                    "My Roll is to Rock"
                    -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Sceney, but in terms of food they are nothing to write home about.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mike
                        • Dec 2006

those are hardly restaurants. cafe gitane does not even have a kitchen, the food is merely reheated.

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                          • Dec 2010

I find the food to be pretty good, particularly the pasta and feta app at Gitane. In terms of actual restaurants, current go tos are Charlie Bird and Pearl and Ash which are fantastic, but yeah barely a few months open. More than a year open, I'd have to say something like The Dutch I guess. But yeah maybe you guys are right, can't think of much else sub $100 pp. Yasuda maybe, but there are a few japanese places like that.
                          "My Roll is to Rock"
                          -Jimmy Page

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

I think both Cafe Gitane and Cafe Select are terrible. They're basically a scene and only a scene.

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                              • Dec 2010

I don't understand why that's a bad thing, even with the food not being as bad as everyone here says it is. You go to different places for different reasons just like you buy clothing from different places for different reasons. People derive value in all sorts of different ways. None of which is objectively wrong.

You go to Gitane for the scene and the food and not primarily the food. It feels good, you see friends of yours, and you get a meal in. You go to Yasuda or Azabu for perfectly executed food with no scene. In the same way you can go to Uniqlo for almost 80% of your clothing if the goal is utilitarian with some aesthetic sensibility. Or you can go to Paul Harnden and look like a fucking farmer but you're buying into some sort of higher aesthetic goal that he's trying to convey, or whatever.

People really let their insecurity to be seen as taste makers affect their ability to see how shit actually goes down.
                              "My Roll is to Rock"
                              -Jimmy Page

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

I agree... not about these specific places having never frequented them,but I feel like people are obsessed with "quality" "well executed"food. I make quality food daily @ home but my "last meal" would be a Carnegie deli corned beef/pastrami combo and a box of Entenmann's eclairs with a quart of ice cold milk for dessert.

original, original Ray's pizza would be a close second

I've got many vices but food has never been one. I especially have always hated pretentious "upscale" eateries. Scene places are, of course, pretentious but that's the definition of scene

as a footnote, the mass documentation of food on Instagram has me completely baffled

but hey, whateva

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎