X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anomie
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
    How could I forget the chefs table at Brooklyn Fare?! Yes, that of course if you're gonna ball out on some foodsmut.

I don't have a big urge to hit up the standard NYC heavy hitters (Daniel, Per Se, Masa, JG etc.)... I know I'd get an incredible meal, but I like the more cutting edge/boundary pushing type places if I'm going to spend $$( or $$$$ if we're yelping)... and I like chemistry so bring on Adria's sfericas and the borderline orgasmic truffle explosion from Achatz.

Based on what you mention I would also recommend Aska or Tørst.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Try Blossom, the Chelsea branch. The only thing they can't seem to get right is the wine. The food is excellent.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
        Based on what you mention I would also recommend Aska or Tørst.
        Thanks! I think I looked at Torst a ways back but will revisit both of these :)
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
          How could I forget the chefs table at Brooklyn Fare?! Yes, that of course if you're gonna ball out on some foodsmut.
          Besides, from what I hear the chef is a big goth ninja aficionado. Keep it in the family!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anomie
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Besides, from what I hear the chef is a big goth ninja aficionado. Keep it in the family!
            César is a big CCP fan.

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
              Go for it Ahimsa!

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
              I would be curious. I had a disappointing meal at Kajitsu, my prior favorite vegan restaurant.
              Try Blossom, the Chelsea branch. The only thing they can't seem to get right is the wine. The food is excellent.
              Not to be confused with Blossom Du Jour, which is also in Chelsea, a vegan fastfood restaurant under the same ownership (they also offer stuff like croissants, pain au chocolate, donuts etc.) . Blossom makes excellent food, but I miss Cocoa V so much

If you have the palate for Korean food, Hangawi is awesome. You have to take your shoes off and you sit on the floor though, but I love it. Fairly expensive for vegan fare.

Franchia is Korean fusion owned by the same people, but I really like it because they make bimbimbap with faux meats like duck, shrimp, steak, chicken...My Korean roommate also seemed to approve.
              Both have really good tea.

I'm not a big fan of raw food since it's really expensive, not filling, and generally doesn't taste anything like it says it does, however, Pure Food and Wine was amazing. Particularly their appetizer/dessert though. The entrée was good enough, but out shined by the others. They also have biodynamic wine for those that are into the extreme organics.

Rawlicious is basically how I described raw food. Worth getting a smoothie from them though if they're near by. The orangesicle does taste like orangesicle so I'll bump their smoothies.

Candle 79 is probably my favorite for dinners. It's on the upper east side so that should speak for itself price wise. They are masterful at making good seitan.

Candle Café is basically a good lunch place and is quite similar to Blossom in terms of quality in my opinion.

Caravan of Dreams has a huge menu, but it's a bit hit or miss. They do sell giant vegan cheese wheels sometimes and have a solid brunch.

Babycakes makes like the only good vegan&gluten free baked goods like donuts, cinnamon buns, cupcakes, etc. So if you need gluten free baked goods, they're pretty much it lol.

Dun-well Donuts in Brooklyn probably makes the best vegan donuts in the city. Really interesting flavors available as well.

Champs in Brooklyn is cheap, solid, but sceney. Since it's in Williamsburg, hipsters. Hipsters everywhere.

Zen Palate is fine. I think I've eaten their once cause it's only vegetarian, not vegan. Pan-asian.

Wild Ginger is a cool pan-asian place with really generous portions. They make a peanut butter bomb cake that is massive.
              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I've had hit and miss at Hangawi, but yes, I'd say worth the try. I'd prefer a dinner there as during lunch it's filled with ladies who lunch and I just wanted to take the AK to the whole fucking joint. Dinner is a mixed crowd.

I also liked Candle Cafe for lunch - great food. I was disappointed in Pure Food and Wine, and I have a feeling Ahimsa is being generous with his review ;-) - but yes, the appetizers and deserts were good and yes, it is expensive for what you get.

Caravan of Dreams simply sucks - again, I feel Ahimsa is being gentle here :-)

Also, Blossom has a fairly new branch in the West Village, and it's good but not as good as the Chelsea branch.

Well, that was not a very Buddhist vegan rundown - sorry :(

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Well I like your bluntness :)
                  Gives the reviews a bad-cop/good-cop kinda vibe

One last thing I will say about Pure Food and Wine though, and this is the most important part, their atmosphere for dinner is romantic as fuck.

Have you not been to Candle 79 Faust? O.o

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                    They make a peanut butter bomb cake that is massive.
                    that cake is actually made by a place called vegan treats in bethlehem, pa. their donuts and pastries are out of this world. possibly the best donuts, scones, etc., i've ever had vegan or non-vegan. if this place opens in manhattan it's game over.
                    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                      Well I like your bluntness :)
                      Gives the reviews a bad-cop/good-cop kinda vibe

One last thing I will say about Pure Food and Wine though, and this is the most important part, their atmosphere for dinner is romantic as fuck.

Have you not been to Candle 79 Faust? O.o
                      No. It's quite pricey, no? I don't like expensive restaurants - I prefer to spend my money on clothes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                        • Apr 2010

I love Hangawi! Been for dinner many times and it's always been a pleasant experience. I worked at Watercourse in Denver for years and though I'm not full on vegan / veg. I work it into my eating habits regularly
                        Originally posted by Shucks
                        it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                        Originally posted by interest1
                        I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

No. It's quite pricey, no? I don't like expensive restaurants - I prefer to spend my money on clothes.
                          It's on par with Hangawi and Pure Food and Wine in terms of price, so not too bad? Vegan food prices tend to cap off at a reasonable amount I think..I believe Kajitsu is the most expensive.

I'd buy more clothes too but it's mad tough finding good vegan design.

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                          that cake is actually made by a place called vegan treats in bethlehem, pa. their donuts and pastries are out of this world. possibly the best donuts, scones, etc., i've ever had vegan or non-vegan. if this place opens in manhattan it's game over.
                          Ohhh, that makes sense now. I'd heard Vegan Treats delivers around the city but I had no idea where. So apparently I've eaten their stuff without knowing it XD. Thank you for the letting me know
                          I will have to investigate all the carriers now

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                            I love Hangawi! Been for dinner many times and it's always been a pleasant experience. I worked at Watercourse in Denver for years and though I'm not full on vegan / veg. I work it into my eating habits regularly

You should totally check out Franchia if you ever get the chance. It really is just like a fusion version of Hangawi. Like Mediterranean and curry versions of bimbimbap/stone bowl are things there lol.

Comment

• KM80
                              • Mar 2008

I'd kill a man for the crispy mushrooms at Hangawi right now...

Comment

• fncyths
                                • Apr 2010

and sake served in apples!
                                Originally posted by Shucks
                                it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                                Originally posted by interest1
                                I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎