Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

^ the frenzy to instagram one's life in the first place baffles me.
    sain't

Comment

• MikeN
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
      You go to Gitane for the scene and the food and not primarily the food. It feels good, you see friends of yours, and you get a meal in.
      Usually my goal when going out to eat ANYWHERE is good food, first and foremost. If I want to see friends, I'll invite them with me to a good restaurant. If I want a scene, I'll go to a club. You need both, together, to make you happy? OK, go downstairs at La Esquina, Minetta Tavern, Omen, Takahachi. You can have good food and your desperately desired scene as well.

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
        • Dec 2010

To argue the subjective value of a scene with people who are members on probably the scene-iest website online is just an exercise in futility. The lack of self awareness is just mind boggling. I actually tried to delete that initial post to avoid this. So I'm done.
        "My Roll is to Rock"
        -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

To argue the subjective value of a scene with people who are members on probably the scene-iest website online is just an exercise in futility. The lack of self awareness is just mind boggling. I actually tried to delete that initial post to avoid this. So I'm done.
          Finally, my dream and the reason why I started SZ comes true!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

To argue the subjective value of a scene...
            but didn't you sort of start that..? you gave a recommendation, a couple of people commented and disagreed, why not just leave it at that?

I don't see any problem with having different preferences whether its about food quality or "scenes", the former is more debatable, the latter, as you said, is kind of pointless to argue over.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Hey, lowrey, remember where I took you the first time we met IRL?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

you are such a scenester
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                  but didn't you sort of start that..? you gave a recommendation, a couple of people commented and disagreed, why not just leave it at that?

I don't see any problem with having different preferences whether its about food quality or "scenes", the former is more debatable, the latter, as you said, is kind of pointless to argue over.
                  No I guess I just got defensive at dismissing the rec's I gave because they're sceney. I mean whatever, it doesn't really matter that much.

And I completely agree with your second paragraph. That's a much more eloquent way of saying what I've been trying to say.
                  "My Roll is to Rock"
                  -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

...and I'm still waiting for someone to ask for vegan restaurant recommendations. One day...
                    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

Go for it Ahimsa!

Last edited by fncyths; 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM.
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Had two really solid meals for great value recently. First one at Traif (the chef selection has got to be one of the biggest bargains in Brooklyn... 8+ dishes with two desserts for something like $50pp including whole roasted prawns, seared foie etc.) and the second was at Maison Premiere during their 4-7 $1 oyster happy hour.

My go-to's when I'm in the city are Hide Chan Ramen, Minca Ramen, Xian Famous Foods, Abraco (with that delicious olive oil cake), Van Leeuwen and Variety Coffee since it's close to my brother's place in Greenpoint. I only rarely hit up "high end" places just because I keep finding most of the places not worth it.

That being said, next time I'm in town, my fiancee and I will definitely be trying out Atera and maybe visiting WD-50 again as it's been over 7 years since we've been back.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Traif is certainly the best restaurant name ever

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anomie
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                            Had two really solid meals for great value recently. First one at Traif (the chef selection has got to be one of the biggest bargains in Brooklyn... 8+ dishes with two desserts for something like $50pp including whole roasted prawns, seared foie etc.) and the second was at Maison Premiere during their 4-7 $1 oyster happy hour.

My go-to's when I'm in the city are Hide Chan Ramen, Minca Ramen, Xian Famous Foods, Abraco (with that delicious olive oil cake), Van Leeuwen and Variety Coffee since it's close to my brother's place in Greenpoint. I only rarely hit up "high end" places just because I keep finding most of the places not worth it.

That being said, next time I'm in town, my fiancee and I will definitely be trying out Atera and maybe visiting WD-50 again as it's been over 7 years since we've been back.
                            I have been going to Wylie's restaurants since 71 Clinton Fresh Food and I am generally a big fan and he has done a great deal for the food scene in NYC.

I do think there many other restaurants worth going to over WD-50 if you only have two nights. Top on my list would be Brooklyn Fare.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
                              I have been going to Wylie's restaurants since 71 Clinton Fresh Food and I am generally a big fan and he has done a great deal for the food scene in NYC.

I do think there many other restaurants worth going to over WD-50 if you only have two nights. Top on my list would be Brooklyn Fare.
                              How could I forget the chefs table at Brooklyn Fare?! Yes, that of course if you're gonna ball out on some foodsmut.

I don't have a big urge to hit up the standard NYC heavy hitters (Daniel, Per Se, Masa, JG etc.)... I know I'd get an incredible meal, but I like the more cutting edge/boundary pushing type places if I'm going to spend $$( or $$$$ if we're yelping)... and I like chemistry so bring on Adria's sfericas and the borderline orgasmic truffle explosion from Achatz.
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Anomie
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                                ...and I'm still waiting for someone to ask for vegan restaurant recommendations. One day...
                                I would be curious. I had a disappointing meal at Kajitsu, my prior favorite vegan restaurant.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎