• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gregor View Post
    hopefully a well designed store. the cap hill location in seattle is one of the cooler stores i've set foot in. their stock is unique and great for seattle, but in ny i don't think it'll be anything game-changing.
    It won't. There are too many stores in NY. No new store can get a formidable lineup of brands. I don't know what the fuck they are thinking. But, let's see. I'm going to the opening on Sep 10
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gregor
      • Oct 2014

faust i don't get the move either. seattle is a second home for me, and as such, i appreciate what totokaelo brings to the marketplace there, which really is quite something in such a comparitively small city, but in nyc the brands they bring to the table seem to be stocked more widely and better by already existing stores. do tell how the opening is, though, i'd be interested to hear your take on it, at least guessing you haven't been to the seattle one.

eleves you're missing out! they got a new entrance to the men's section, which is really ugly and out of place, being smack dab in the middle of the store, but the old entrance to the men's section was through the side, down a serious of stark, twisting corridors, which only added to the stark, minimal appeal of the place itself. also agree that a new store opening is always fun to check out, regardless of the store itself

Comment

• Tiranis
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gregor View Post
        faust i don't get the move either. seattle is a second home for me, and as such, i appreciate what totokaelo brings to the marketplace there, which really is quite something in such a comparitively small city, but in nyc the brands they bring to the table seem to be stocked more widely and better by already existing stores. do tell how the opening is, though, i'd be interested to hear your take on it, at least guessing you haven't been to the seattle one.
        FWIW, I've heard Jill Wenger, the founder of Totokaelo, speak on this move and it's largely driven by the data they have on their existing online customers. I think the other driving factor is the fact that they've moved a large portion of their online operations to New York.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

The physical invite is pink. Does not bode well for a ninja.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            The physical invite is pink. Does not bode well for a ninja.
            Yikes
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• gregor
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Tiranis View Post
              FWIW, I've heard Jill Wenger, the founder of Totokaelo, speak on this move and it's largely driven by the data they have on their existing online customers. I think the other driving factor is the fact that they've moved a large portion of their online operations to New York.
              i get it to a degree, and of course it stands to reason that ny is a bigger market for fashion than literally anywhere else in the americas, but i'm wondering how much of an impact a retail presence there will have, and if it can attract new customers as opposed to merely serving existing ones.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

They are a 5 minute walk from IF and Kirna Zabete and every imaginable mono brand boutique. I am sure they can get Rick Owens, but I am hard-pressed to think what else they can get. We'll see soon enough.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pikkumedkniven
                  • Dec 2010

will be visiting for a week late september, early october.

Mainly looking for restaurant recommendations.
                  I've been working as a chef/head chef for around 20 years so always looking for inspiration when traveling.

Been to nyc a couple of times so been to a bunch of places so looking for recommendations of places thats kind of under the radar.

the only thing i got booked for this trip is Mission chines food.
                  Also gonna try to hit up Honetown bbq, ippundo and fuku.
                  Aslo thinking of going back to Charlie Bird, really liked that place.

would really love a table at ko but it seems impossible as usual...

me and the wife really, really loves to eat and don't mind spending a lot of $ as long as the experience can match the price tag.

Also would like to know if there is any good techno/underground house parties around that time.

cheers

Comment

• t-bone
                    • Dec 2009

You should 100% go to Eleven Madison Park. Lunch if you can't get a dinner res. I might be able to help you out with Ko if you really want. PM me.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pikkumedkniven View Post
                      will be visiting for a week late september, early october.

Mainly looking for restaurant recommendations.
                      I've been working as a chef/head chef for around 20 years so always looking for inspiration when traveling.

Been to nyc a couple of times so been to a bunch of places so looking for recommendations of places thats kind of under the radar.

the only thing i got booked for this trip is Mission chines food.
                      Also gonna try to hit up Honetown bbq, ippundo and fuku.
                      Aslo thinking of going back to Charlie Bird, really liked that place.

would really love a table at ko but it seems impossible as usual...

me and the wife really, really loves to eat and don't mind spending a lot of $ as long as the experience can match the price tag.

Also would like to know if there is any good techno/underground house parties around that time.

cheers
                      A) no such thing B) no such thing
                      I think you mean Hometown and Ippudo? Ippudo, yes. Hometown is not worth the trip unless you are hellbent on going to Red Hook. Their BBQ is fine but not outstanding.

If you can't get to EMP go for lunch, go to Nomad. EN Japanese for Japanese - both outstanding food and decor, and you can always get a reservation. Porchetta for a hole-in-the-wall lunch.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pikkumedkniven
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I think you mean Hometown and Ippudo?

indeed.

we don't got too many bbq joints here in sweden(1 that i know of...) so i think it would be kind of fun to take the ferry there for a lunch.

already been to emp and it is indeed amazing, been meaning to go to the Nomad but maybe now is the time.

Thanks

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I didn't know there is a ferry, except a water taxi to IKEA. Cool.

Strangely enough, I think Mighty Quinn's is the best BBQ I've had in NYC so far, although it has a fast food joint vibe, the food is outstanding.

Hometown is fine - you go there more for the atmosphere, especially as a foreigner, you'll like the good 'ol 'Merica vibe (even though it's obviously a Disneyland).

Walk around while there - some interesting houses, since a lot of artists and quite high level creatives live there. But stay close to the waterfront and Vun Brunt Street and don't venture towards the projects. Good coffee and desert at Baked. If you have energy, walk over to Pioneer Works. Even if they are closed and you are nice, they might let you in to wonder around. It's worth it.

At Ippudo, you'll wait for a long time no matter the day or the hour. Accept it, it's a thing - order a Sapporo and pork buns at the bar and hang out. If you want to wait less, go to 4:30 and wait half an hour until they open for dinner at 5. You'll probably get first sitting.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                            • Apr 2011

I was just about to say Mighty Quinn's is down the street from Ippudo and is by far the best barbecue I've had here.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                              I was just about to say Mighty Quinn's is down the street from Ippudo and is by far the best barbecue I've had here.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                                • Nov 2007

Agree with Faust, Hometown BBQ isn't worth it at all, and I find Mighty Quinn's much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎