• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
    Maybe, but it's vastly over rated for the most part.
    Disagree. You can get great food at all price points in NY now. You just need to know where to go. Just follow Mike Nouveau's Instagram.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Disagree. You can get great food at all price points in NY now. You just need to know where to go. Just follow Mike Nouveau's Instagram.
      Exactly. My favorite falafel is from specific food carts. Also, Xi'an dry noodles are ludicrously good. All for around $5.
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Actually, it would be fun to carefully and politely explain that "your tea is terrible, so i am forced to bring my own."
        Maybe I'll do it next time we go out
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Maybe, but it's vastly over rated for the most part.
          oh please.

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            oh please.
            You mad bro?

Comment

• timm3h
              • Mar 2011

Any recs for omakase? Thinking about making a reservation for my birthday coming up, ideally not looking to spend more than ~$150 per person.

Recommendations I got:

- Sushi Yasuda
              - Takahachi
              - Morimoto
              - Nobu

A friend whose opinion I trust recommended Yasuda so if there isn't much variation in this price range I'll probably go with that, though a lot of people also recommended Nobu. I searched the thread and people here seem to like Takahachi as an affordable option?
              Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

You mad bro?
                Food is overrated and pitchfork gave music a 6.8, we get it.

Comment

• t-bone
                  • Dec 2009

All I know about Yasuda is that the man himself (now in Tokyo) says his old staff isn't quite up to the task of running the place just yet. Could be sour grapes but who knows.

Also LOL to "food" in New York being overrated.

Comment

• jskidder1
                    • Jan 2011

Nakizawa would be my recommendation. I've heard mostly mixed reviews on Yasuda, and I'd avoid Nobu & Morimoto unless you're willing to overpay for a mediocre experience.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

As a general rule anything in the meatpacking district = overpaying for a mediocre experience. The whole area should be burned to the ground.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Maybe I bought the cheap omakase, but I would avoid Kura.

Anyone ate at Piora? What did you think? Wasn't much to write home about. Maitre d' was overly nice it was frightening..

Still want to try Blanca.

Chiang Mai in Red Hook has pretty good Northern Thai. From the creators of Kao Soy?

More meatpacking crap?

Comment

• Tiranis
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                          All I know about Yasuda is that the man himself (now in Tokyo) says his old staff isn't quite up to the task of running the place just yet. Could be sour grapes but who knows.

Also LOL to "food" in New York being overrated.
                          Yasuda wasn't particularly amazing himself but the place without him has definitely gone another tier down.

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
                          Nakizawa would be my recommendation. I've heard mostly mixed reviews on Yasuda, and I'd avoid Nobu & Morimoto unless you're willing to overpay for a mediocre experience.
                          I assume you mean Nakazawa? Good but I don't think the difficulty of getting a reservation is commensurate with the quality. It'll be a stretch making it work for $150pp unless you get the most basic omakase with no drinks or extras.

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                          Maybe I bought the cheap omakase, but I would avoid Kura.
                          Kura is good, better if you get the head chef.

Originally posted by timm3h View Post
                          Any recs for omakase? Thinking about making a reservation for my birthday coming up, ideally not looking to spend more than ~$150 per person.

Recommendations I got:

- Sushi Yasuda
                          - Takahachi
                          - Morimoto
                          - Nobu

A friend whose opinion I trust recommended Yasuda so if there isn't much variation in this price range I'll probably go with that, though a lot of people also recommended Nobu. I searched the thread and people here seem to like Takahachi as an affordable option?
                          Given that you have a decent budget available, none of those places are worthwhile. Certainly not Morimoto or Nobu, that's just money down the drain. Yasuda is decent but not top tier and it's not a particularly intimate atmosphere.

If this were back in June or prior, I would've said 15 East. Masa was by far the best value in the city (as well as Top 3 skill-wise) and easily the friendliest.

If you don't necessarily care about getting a Japanese chef, David at Sushi Dojo is a top tier sushi chef at a more reasonable price ($100-$150pp or so).

Ichimura, Kanoyama, etc. are great if you can stretch your budget to $200-$250pp.

Part of the consideration with Omakase is that it's going to be heavily based on your particular taste. I know people who think Kura is the best place in city (strongly disagree).

Check out the forum on Chowhound for very comprehensive reviews of Sushi Omakase options around NYC. Chefs come and go all the time. You can also find a place that's matching to your taste.

(Also, if anyone's omakase preference is not just for sushi, how about Tori Shin?)
                          Last edited by Tiranis; 10-08-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• mikemikemike
                            • Jun 2011

I will be in bk early nov and am looking for recommendations on a good place for a shave as well as some solid ruben spots.

Comment

• PIERRELEGRAND
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by mikemikemike View Post
                              I will be in bk early nov and am looking for recommendations on a good place for a shave as well as some solid ruben spots.
                              Not really my thing, but there are a ton of barbers in Williamsburg. Fellow Barber is known, and I think there may be one near the new RRL store. You could also just walk around Williamsburg for about 15 minutes with your eyes closed and find one or 20.

Comment

• fncyths
                                • Apr 2010

Fellow Barber is nice. I like Cotter Barber on Manhattan in Greenpoint. It's right by the park. Get a nice shave, snag some product, have an espresso on their patio.

As for food you guys should check Bruno Pizza in the East Village. Old school buddy just opened it up. Getting some good reviews.
                                Originally posted by Shucks
                                it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                                Originally posted by interest1
                                I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎