• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

First world problems.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      First world problems.
      Indeed.

rilu - I'll probably regretting asking this, but why do some have issues with wool? Assuming the sheep are mistreated? (spare me gory details pls)
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

I don't think Mr. Faust meant it in derogatory way...as you said, every issue discussed on this forum is a first world problem...sometimes it's amusing to point that out though.

I will have to read through the sustainable fashion thread...I tend to avoid the issue so I can claim ignorance. Very mature of me.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
          ^ Faust, I know you always bring that as an answer to leather and stuff, but I've never really got it, because most problems discussed on this forum are first world problems, aren't they? I obviously have a choice of which footwear to buy, and I do so in view of certain ethical and political values that are important to me. I've never said that buying secondhand leather shoes isn't sustainable, nor that those who can't afford any other shoes should just go barefooted. That's similar to the situation in which you tell someone you try to buy only sweatshop-free clothing, and they reply "that's a first world problem". Sure it is, but that makes me so much more responsible for what I buy, since I obviously do have a choice (namely to avoid sweatshop production).
          Actually it's the reverse - I would NEVER tell someone that buying a sweat-shop made clothing is a first world problem. Sweatshop-free clothes is one of the reasons I buy designer. But animals are not people. There are millions of people starving and without clothes/shoes. They go before animals, sorry.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

^ But why do you think these two things necessarily exclude each other? Why would putting people first, as you emphasize, mean one has to wear leather? If the reason is sustainability, there are sustainable faux-leather products as well (a number of producers recycling plastic bottles and what not has been mention in the thread on sustainable fashion). so i really don't get your argument, sorry :-/

edit:
            when i said that buying sweatshop free products may be considered a first world problem, i meant that some people just can't afford to buy anything that is sweatshop free.
            I am not saying that. I am just saying that it's not on the list of real problems in my opinion given the state of the world affairs.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

you can check for more details in "sustainable fashion" thread, i think Ahimsa once gave a whole list of reasons :) but the basic idea is indeed mistreatment of sheep, because cutting the wool often includes pieces of skin as well.
              there is some ethical wool mainly from new zealand and some degree of reuse in process... smartwool and icebreaker i think (both outdoor brands) probably have more info on their websites..

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

I've seen margiela tabis with crepe soles, but I dunno about the insole and I dunno if they come in wool or not (the crepe soled ones my friend owns are reverse leather)

still, worth checking out if you really like them

Comment

• michael_kard
                  • Oct 2010

I suspect that the lining is leather in all versions.
                  ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                  Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

I'd like them in a single fabric with an untapered heel, and without those extra toe seams.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

speaking of leather-free tabis, i remembered (after this talk here yesterday) that irregular choice used to make tabis too, so i just looked around and i actually found these made of canvas :p they don't even look that bad from the side, but the front isn't so nice.

It'd be nice to see what they look like once filled out by feet. Though I concur with Patroklus about those peculiar seams in the toes.
                      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

So change the heel and spray paint them pitch black = instant success
                        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                          • Jan 2010

If you want animal free Tabi's just buy traditional Tabi's from Japan like this I'm sure there are a ton of variations out there on the interwebs
                          THE HOUSE OF DIS
                          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Rilu, I'd say skip the tabis and get these Stellas instead:

edit. or these:

I always picture how your outfits would look with these because think they are probably the best faux leather shoes out there (I wanted them too when they came out).. I don't know if they are "you" but IMO I think they would work perfectly.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Those look painful.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Those look painful.
                                You gotta suffer for beauty hahha.. no but really, sometimes the highest of heels can be comfy. Here they are in motion, they don't look as painful then. Ok, this discussion should probably be in the women's shoes thread now.. sorry for the distraction.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎