Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Butterfly eggs. Picture taken by David Millard.

And some butterfly scales: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/wp...ov_21883_3.jpg - Oleg Kolesnikov
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

election question - what is the schedule in regards to counting votes and results..? I don't remember at all how it works in the US, and oddly enough google doesn't help at all?
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

When you wake up on Wednesday, you should know already.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
          election question - what is the schedule in regards to counting votes and results..? I don't remember at all how it works in the US, and oddly enough google doesn't help at all?
          others might be able to help better than i, but it all depends on the elecctoral college count. there's really only a few key swing states (such as ohio, florida, colorda, etc.) that will determine the election as most states are solidly blue or red and can be easily called well before all the votes are counted and reported. if states such as florida and ohio end up swinging to Obama with a solid democratic lead then we'll know the outcome by the time polls start closing in the mid-west.

however, if the electoral count is close and the swing states end up split between dem/rep then we could be in for a long wait. for instance, if one swing state such as florida ends up deciding the electoral college count and the popular vote is really close in that state, then they'll probably call a recount of the votes to verify the outcome and that could take many days on an optimistic assumption.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

First man to 270.................
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
              Fuzzy as hell, but my recollection is (please take with a grain of salt, I can't remember shit, I've spent every election I participated in absolutely smashed):

In most states, individual counties tally the reports from precincts (voting areas basically), which are then tallied at the state level. Official reporting is released by the state, but often broken down by county or precinct. (I think... something like that)

Each state has different ways to deal with close elections. For instance, in some states, if the vote is closer than 0.x%, it is automatically recounted. In other states non-auditable voting machines are used, and they rely on voodoo to tabulate votes using chicken guts... or something like that (see Ohio as an example).

The schedule is pretty variable, and largely open-ended. There is actually a matter of weeks before an official tally has to be reported. For instance, there is a county elections official in Wisconsin who has twice found > 5,000 republican votes on her computer, or in her office, 1-2 days after everything else was tallied. These were counted both times and changed the outcome of both elections.*

Practically though, there's between a few minutes and about 12 hours delay before states give a non-binding, but effectively final count in almost all cases.

Keep in mind that different states actually have different candidates on the ballot in many cases.

* She has since been forced to resign I believe. There are some criminal questions around her finds, but the point is, shit can take a long time.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

thanks guys. this just further proves how bizarre the system is
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thumbsup. I've tried following this blog, but it's one useful thing amidst a ton of useless things.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

I keep it in my RSS feed, in its own folder. I rapid scan it 1x/week, find 1-2 gems. I can't deal with it any more often.

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

.a little election-eve raunch.
                        .even my mom lol'd.

sain't

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

Did I miss something about this soren stuff? Assuming this is egocomplex?
                          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Assumption correct. 1984ed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

whoops

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

all my friends are junkies, and my girlfriends are drunks
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎