Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crouka
    • Jul 2007

I meant a speaker as an individual speaker. if you talk about the average speaker, that covers a matter of human intelligence in general. in that case too I still wouldn't conclude it is juvenile at this point of their history.

things similar to what you said about the average american english have been happening in japanese too, for sure.
    but language is something that is to be perpetually becoming, or it's like, say, being at work.
    it has to be living, it may be a mirror of active intelligence. and that's why any artificial language, where its grammar and every definition were fixed, didn't work after all. that is, it was not interesting at all, roughly speaking. there was nothing we can recognize as being related to what we are as our species.
    what you consider juvenile has always been happening. it's an important attribute of language.
    if it is really unnecessary, it is to be gone naturally. and vice versa.
    as I wrote, you can deal with japanese, without any words you wouldn't want to butcher, though that needs a seriously deep level of understanding of japanese.
    and actually there are some people who strictly stick to that manner. but I find it a bit too ridiculous.
    they may only love what they are accustomed to because what they believe is authentic could be something their ancestors used to be against.
    I cannot deny a drive to encounter foreign words, a drive to change, evolve.
    sometimes I see japanese words tattooed on american guys. even if they are done upside down I don't think they are just juvenile since I personally see that kind of drive there too. and there is even a possibility that the upside-down version starts to live a new life.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by merz
      how the fuck did i miss the banning of zboss? he had become our unwitting mascot ..
      when did this happen!? bummer.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by crouka View Post
        I meant a speaker as an individual speaker. if you talk about the average speaker, that covers a matter of human intelligence in general. in that case too I still wouldn't conclude it is juvenile at this point of their history.

things similar to what you said about the average american english have been happening in japanese too, for sure.
        but language is something that is to be perpetually becoming, or it's like, say, being at work.
        it has to be living, it may be a mirror of active intelligence. and that's why any artificial language, where its grammar and every definition were fixed, didn't work after all. that is, it was not interesting at all, roughly speaking. there was nothing we can recognize as being related to what we are as our species.
        what you consider juvenile has always been happening. it's an important attribute of language.
        if it is really unnecessary, it is to be gone naturally. and vice versa.
        as I wrote, you can deal with japanese, without any words you wouldn't want to butcher, though that needs a seriously deep level of understanding of japanese.
        and actually there are some people who strictly stick to that manner. but I find it a bit too ridiculous.
        they may only love what they are accustomed to because what they believe is authentic could be something their ancestors used to be against.
        I cannot deny a drive to encounter foreign words, a drive to change, evolve.
        sometimes I see japanese words tattooed on american guys. even if they are done upside down I don't think they are just juvenile since I personally see that kind of drive there too. and there is even a possibility that the upside-down version starts to live a new life.
        Ah, I see now. We're just of totally polar views. You favour the constant change of language through colloquialisms, while I think that colloquialism, by and large, should be excluded from language, leaving only the formal aspects for any extended discourse. I see your point though, and it is a good one. Good words, Crouka. Good words.
        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Vanna
          • May 2008

I am not looking forward to having all of my wisdom teeth removed this week.

Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
            I am not looking forward to having all of my wisdom teeth removed this week.

I had mine out a couple of weeks ago, and I was terrified. It really wasn't bad, though--mostly uncomfortable to eat for a week and a pain to keep things from getting stuck in the holes. Just be ready to lie low for a few days and enjoy the painkillers.
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Vanna
              • May 2008

Originally posted by laika View Post
              I had mine out a couple of weeks ago, and I was terrified. It really wasn't bad, though--mostly uncomfortable to eat for a week and a pain to keep things from getting stuck in the holes. Just be ready to lie low for a few days and enjoy the painkillers.
              Hahah, thanks. I'm pretty nervous because this is my first 'real' surgery. I've never had to go under for anything and the idea of being anesthetized scares the crap out of me. I've been putting it off for almost a year and a half now though, so it's definitely overdue. I guess the vicodin and jello are my friends.
              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

I was lucky. My mouth is unusually large and fit all my wisdom teeth (which I've had since I was 15) so I didn't have to have surgery. Modern medicine isn't perfect, but I think you'll be fine. Try to go in relaxed; just don't take anything to help that relaxation along.

In other news, 30 Seconds to Mars has collaborated with Kanye West on "Hurricane" - a track from their new album scheduled for release sometime next month.
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

So I did laundry last week. Was too busy to sort it out. Tried to do it tonite. Lo and behold, I had a major scare. I couldn't find my favorite shirt. A white cotton bib front margiela. I thought I had left it at the laundry. Which would be impossible to retrieve after a whole week.
                  Luckily, I found it amount some sheets I hadn't sorted.
                  Whew! That was close!!
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

I'm about to go to bed otherwise I would post a thread in designers and their work. But I just wanted to declare, the Thom Browne collection just posted on men.style is amazing and the only exciting thing in menswear at NYC fashion week. That is all, good night.
                    music

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                      Hahah, thanks. I'm pretty nervous because this is my first 'real' surgery. I've never had to go under for anything and the idea of being anesthetized scares the crap out of me. I've been putting it off for almost a year and a half now though, so it's definitely overdue. I guess the vicodin and jello are my friends.
                      wait, they use anesthesia for removing teeth? must be an american thing.. I've had 4 knocked out with local anesthesia, would never agree to be put under for such a procedure.

on random side note, why do local and general anesthesia utilize the same word in english when one refers to numbing a small area as opposed to knocking you unconcious
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

his reminds me I've been putting off going to the dentist for months
                        I should go while I still have insudrence. I hate having bad teeth (although it could be worse, they hardly ever hurt)

Comment

• crouka
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                          Ah, I see now. We're just of totally polar views. You favour the constant change of language through colloquialisms, while I think that colloquialism, by and large, should be excluded from language, leaving only the formal aspects for any extended discourse. I see your point though, and it is a good one. Good words, Crouka. Good words.
                          no, I'm not all for it. as you see in ma+ thread, I tried to correct "notu" once anyway and I myself am trying to write in english as properly as possible even though I may not by your standard. hope you know I was not saying you should accept bad english in a grammar exam.

I was talking about what language (including its "formal aspects" you love today) is shaped by.
                          and I said that it would be a bit too ridiculous to totally deny it, and also that I wouldn't call it juvenile.
                          it is never completed as long as we are not allowed to stay where we are.
                          it's a sign of life and its intelligence maybe imperfect, and I come to like it sometimes.

Comment

• Peasant
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                            wait, they use anesthesia for removing teeth? must be an american thing.. I've had 4 knocked out with local anesthesia, would never agree to be put under for such a procedure.

on random side note, why do local and general anesthesia utilize the same word in english when one refers to numbing a small area as opposed to knocking you unconcious
                            Local is commonly used here unless the patient is having numerous teeth extracted, or is freaking out. MD's (usually) don't prefer to sedate someone unless absolutely necessary due to the risks involved. I've had a root-canal done under local and it was fine.

Are you talking about the word anesthesia? Simply put, it means to block sensation. This can be one finger or your entire being. What term do they use elsewhere?

Good luck, Vanna. Enjoy a week of Percocets.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

yea I was referring to the word. we use a word that roughly translates to "numbing" for local anesthesia, and something like "sleep-icating" (no english word really, "putting to sleep" maybe) for general anesthesia.

I've had 4 wisdom teeth pulled/cut out (2 at a time) as well as root canal under local, not very pleasant experiences overall but the actual operation weren't that painful. its more the feeling afterwards, which I can't imagine being much better if waking up from being completely knocked out.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Vanna
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post

The oral surgeon recommended that I go completely under since I'm having all four wisdom teeth removed at once. Probably the right way to go since I'm so squeamish when it comes to health issues.

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                                Good luck, Vanna. Enjoy a week of Percocets.
                                Thanks!
                                Life is a hiiighway

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎