X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swych
    • May 2008

Originally posted by swami View Post
    Not next level in terms of design but the location ...

what is that building? i might use it for a project that involves site analysis.

Comment

• mesko
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by swami View Post
      Not next level in terms of design but the location ...

Looks like the Swedish archipelago...

Comment

• fenrost
        Banned
        • Mar 2009

besiktas fishmarket

Comment

• fenrost
          Banned
          • Mar 2009

kfc in iceland

nothing ground breaking... but for a fastfood chain KFC in iceland?

Comment

• Originally posted by mesko View Post
            Regarding the Turning Torso in Malmö:

Agreed. Apart from showing inferior visual qualities, it really fails to represent (and fit into) the city of Malmö.

Well, that is debatable, but I'd say it is very much a mixture. Answering your question, though, is the first post of this thread:

Finally, I would like to show you this beautiful "Telephone Tower", located in central Stockholm between 1887 and 1953:

The tower, standing 45 meters tall on a rooftop, is mostly riveted steel beams, and it was used to drag telephone cables to households. From the early 1890's to the 1930's, the cables were relocated underground, and the tower lost it's function, which - along with its publicly perceived ugliness and risk of collapsing due to a fire - led to its demolition.

gorgeous. I didn't know about that tower. And I've been living in sthlm all my life. insane.

the interior thread is more dedicated towards interior decoration though.

Comment

• fenrost
              Banned
              • Mar 2009

house in koamicho

Comment

• francojean23
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by fenrost View Post

fantastic house , love the long view corridors and the separation of space using solid / transparency

not to mention the simplicity is amazing

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

that house is really stunning in it's simplicity
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                    • Feb 2009

Check out architecture (and furniture) by Shigeru Ban.

Comment

• bestial
                      • Jun 2008

mr cardboard. saw a rather interesting documentary about him a couple of years ago, about how he made a whole "village" for exploited humans.

also some minor touch downs in his more spectacular work.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                        • Feb 2009

Mr Fenrost compensates »his« hideous book shelf with this wonderful Koamicho house. Of all suggestions here, this is the one I like the most. It's at the same time elegant and humble, wise in sorts. It doesn't overshadow its neighbours. Avantgarde, great buildings often monumentalize, suffocate its environment, also its inhabitants. Such architecture is anti-humanistic, it's for history and critics. Perhaps we don't need »next level« buildings. I think we need to go back to basics, re-read Le Corbusier's La maison des hommes (1936). There the modernist master emphasizes the need to respect natural surroundings, as well as human needs, holism in architecture. Much of modern architecture – symptomized here – seems to deal exclusively with æsthetics, spectaculum.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

I'm about the paint our bedroom wall, and that house just influenced me to go for a concrete look
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• francojean23
                            • Sep 2008

quite true masugnen , like so many ideas and early conceptions , modernism turned pure aesthetic leading to its downfall . perhaps the first theory that ever tried to put the user in focus , in realization went the way it always has , architects designing for architects

Comment

• kbi
                              • Feb 2009

I strongly disagree. With all respect to a certain feeling of purity and minimalist beauty this is something that has just been done too many times and lacks complexity. I find it way too banal (from what I see). Tadao ando did this a lot better with his row house.

Comment

• een
                                • Sep 2006

Interesting point re miminalism, kbi.
                                It brings up a discussion regarding the relationship between an elegant minimalist aesthetic a la John Pawson and work that calls into question the relationship between the minimal and architecture - Ando's Azuma house from 1976 is a great example, as is Toyo Ito's U-House from the same year. (Both were actually influenced by Kazuo Shinohara's concrete houses from the early 70s - Shinohara's House in White from 1966 is also an amazing conversation between Modernism and traditional Japanese domestic architecture) I see SANAAs work as an extension of this as well.
                                I would suggest another interesting relationship exists between minimalism and building technique - the work of the 'Graubünden Mafia' is a good example - Zumthor, Märkli, Olgiati etc.
                                Last edited by een; 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎