Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcotteri
    • Jun 2008

wire you have posted some absolute beauties in this thread of late.. That Cedric Price is insanely amazing <3
    WTB: This

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

This page is beautiful. Better than most books. Can the post with the Dubai towers be deleted? It just disturbs scrolling down.

Comment

• swych
        • May 2008

Chapel of St Ignatius, Seattle, Steven Holl

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

i hate all the vacant condos in the city. modern architecture is so ugly...

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

i was talking to an architect friend of mine. someone who does lots of contract work with the city building train stations. he builds a lot of new transit hubs here. i told him they looked terrible..

he was telling me if he had to start over, he would rather restore than build. i agreed..

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

I don't even know why it's worth arguing. Restore old buildings and build new buildings...what's so crazy about that? Anything less sounds like some Ayn Rand book.
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• DRRRK
                • Aug 2009

It depends on the buliding. Restoring can be very expensive and sometimes impossible. Energy-saving, intelligent or even recycable buildings have to be the future, if we do not want to continue wasting our resources.

Comment

• diamonds
                  • Dec 2006

demolishing a building adds an excess to the landfill as well. does it not?

in the long run, green buildings are better. you have to agree with that.

and sometimes it's not about beauty. it's about history (in the case of restoring buildings) and functionality (in building new ones).

Comment

• francojean23
                    • Sep 2008

you cannot discount the embodied energy of existing buildings , it will always be better for the environment to preserve rather than demolish and rebuild , an aspect LEED has been very slow to recognize ...

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
                      Some of my biggest influences are the russian constructivists:
                      OMA's greatest hits came from here.

Melnikov:

[
                      Melnikov is , much nicer than OMA IMHO. BTW anyone remembers where the "at the time/now" recent Russian constructivist expo was held (basically pictures of the buildings when they were built and how they look now), I know I saw it but I can't remember where. It was held in the last three years and was absolutely wonderful.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

there's a great article on zaha hadid in this week's new yorker.
                        she wears miyake and junya apparently.

narrated slideshow. full article not published online.

Comment

• swych
                          • May 2008

speaking of zaha, this is the article i got today :/

Zaha Hadid's Award-Winning Snack-itecture Inspired by Doodles, Chips, Funyuns

Note to readers of John Seabrook's New Yorker profile of Iraqi female starchitect Zaha Hadid this week: The opening scene, full of potato chips and chicken falling from Hadid's mouth as he interviewed her lunching at the Mercer is no accident. It's advanced criticism.

The sandwich came with potato chips, and Hadid examined one, turning it in her fingers, which were long and tapered and ended in bright-red nails, before putting it into her mouth. The twisty geometry of an ordinary potato chip, to say nothing of the curves in modern cars and phones, is a reminder of how few buildings look as if they belonged in the digital world. Hadid is devoted to helping architecture catch up.

Well, now that we know of her love for chips--as well as her affinity for capes; it's a juicy piece!--we have to say that the salty snacks are exactly what come to mind when we see Hadid's buildings. The London Olympic Aquatic Center, being constructed for 2012, looks just like a Pringle! Is it possible then, that Hadid's work is able to achieve engineering feats previously only found in fried potato products? The New Yorker has done a fine job of examining Hadid as the lone Arab woman at the top of her field. We examine her work as it relates to a greasy, sour cream-and-onion-scented heap of Frito-Lays.

The Nuragic and Contemporary Art Museum in Cagliari, Italy; Lays

The just-completed MAXXI Museum, Rome; Sun Chips

Aqua Table for Established & Sons; Tostitos Scoops

VorteXX Chandelier for Zumtobel and Sawaya; Funyuns

The Bergisel Ski Jump in Innsbruck, Austria; Cheeto

On a more serious note, I found this video of the MAXXI quite enjoyable. love that stairwell.

Last edited by swych; 12-16-2009, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• kbi
                            • Feb 2009

zaha hadid is kinda yesterday.. :/ I mean no offense I really like her approach to architecture but you kinda get the idea after you've seen a range of her work. Which isn't negative at all. She's got her style. I'm just sick of people thinking of her as soon as the topic architecture comes up.

Just two random pictures I was thinking about lately.

Adolf Loos:

Kerez:

Comment

• North
                              • Sep 2008

Church of Light by Tadao Ando.
                              I think its a powerful and simple building.
                              probably not the best picture of the building.

I must say I also enjoy the work of Sanaa, someone posted their work for the swiss school a page back. I love how they work with spaces, they always have a natural and light feel to them.

Comment

• diamonds
                                • Dec 2006

more constructivism

if anyone knows the architects please share

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎