Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior WAYLT...where are you living today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comedyzen
    • May 2009

Creative nooks?

Just moved into a new pad. We have 2 empty nooks on both sides of the fireplace....wasted space for now. We want to convert one side into a workstation and the other as storage and are looking for ideas. We want to use solid white oak but are stumped on design. Would love to see how you guys converted like space into something useful.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I wouldn't put a workstation there - the hearth is sacred! I think the space is just beginning for solid, thick wall to wall shelves.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
        rekoner
        • Feb 2009

I agree with Faust...that will be a main focal point of your room so keep it functional but also clean. Workspaces stay too cluttered just by nature so you should avoid that.

I'd go with shelving...but try to keep it sparse with some open space. Just keep in mind that whatever flanks the hearth is going to visually get a lot of attention. Get an amazing piece of artwork for over the mantle and you're good to go.

Here's my backyard living quarters...the benefits of cheap real estate in the heartland of America.

Originally posted by mizzar
        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• comedyzen
          • May 2009

Hmmmm...as much as I hate to agree with Faust, you guys make a good point. Another thing is that my back will be to the couch where my gf will be watching TV. I don't like the idea of her looking over my shoulder as I peruse SZ. She doesn't approve of my clothing habit.

Beardown, I recently applied to our building's HOA to see if I could build a small modern shed on our terrace....but got shot down. Your home seems huge and you probably don't need an extra room, but have you ever considered something like this to place in your backyard:

The day I get a backyard will be the day I buy one of these as SF homes have less space.

Comment

• Nikov
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
            Kinda cool — my home was featured as a house tour on Apartment Therapy's sister site Unplggd:
            http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/home-...h-tour--121707
            I like how you built a staircase for your cat to climb up to your bed. No point in having a bed if your cat can't reach it.

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

could of snaps while im moving in:

Comment

• Enaml
                • Apr 2009

Love it, Snaf. Where have you been getting furniture / lighting / etc ?
                How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• swami
                  • Jul 2008

Looks really good Snafu , the TOIO is one of my most favorite Industrial lamps.

Comment

• jcotteri
                    • Jun 2008

those lights are fantastic snafu.. amazing.
                    WTB: This

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

beardown's place makes me want to move to the heartland.

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

my living room is a deep scarlet except for the limestone around the fireplace and it has gotten to be a bit much after 5 years. may lighten it up this summer.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I wouldn't do it. It will get to you. I would like to repaint my living room in a very light gray though. Maybe this summer...

Comment

• comedyzen
                          • May 2009

Urban Garden

So the HOA in my building shut me down when I applied to build a small office shed on our terrace. So I went with my second "want" which is a garden.

With high evening San Fran winds, cold weather, limited sun, and even more limited gardening knowledge, I set out to self sustain by trying to plant veggies on our terrace. The goal is to get a weeks worth of veggies on the table. After trying to plant these veggies in open air, I learned that wind is a big no no for veggie growth, so the mini greenhouse was brought in which has significantly helped the plants. My garden consists of tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, mint, and basil. So far everything is alive. Not sure if these are complimentary plants....we shall see.

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Never found the time, in five years, to repaint the old steel bed, and replace the mattress and the cushions with nicer ones.

Wife did it.
                            Cat likes it.

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

christian, i feel like your kitchen needs to be isolated away from the rest of the living space. it's a lovely room but the the cling clang noise from dish washing would bother me in the living area..

there's also the problem with cooking odors spreading out everywhere..

Comment

• sam_tem
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                                christian, i feel like your kitchen needs to be isolated away from the rest of the living space. it's a lovely room but the the cling clang noise from dish washing would bother me in the living area..

there's also the problem with cooking odors spreading out everywhere..
                                this is how i've always felt. i want an isolated living room with the kitchen being separate, but everything is built these days, from single homes to lofts, with an open bar kitchen next to the living room and it drives me crazy. you'd have to custom build a wall or have a custom built home to have a separate kitchen these days.

wasn't christian's place in an old refurbished building anyways though?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎