• Show
Clear All
  • Simari
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
    Some early hardcore minimalism:
    Philip Glass, Music in Fifths:

Steve Reich, Piano Phase:

It's difficult to find good performances of these on youtube so forgive the imperfect renditions.

Phillip Glass is by far one of my favorite. I'd have to agree it is tough to do his music justice on youtube. Thank you for sharing though. Does anyone in here like Yann Tiersen?

Comment

• destroymebaby
      • Aug 2012

The old mans version. I like the contemplative pace better than his energetic '55 breakthrough.
      The morning is not enough.

Comment

• qazwsx
        • Feb 2012

"Things you own, end up owning you." --- Tyler Durden [FightClub 1999]

Comment

• jackg
          • Oct 2011

Comment

• Bson
            • May 2013

Okay, I may be a snooty cellist, but some of you need some better video suggestions!

Piotr Anderszewski- Bach Partita No. 1 - Gigue
            (Purchase his Partita recording-- very unique and exciting)

Janine Jansen and Itamar Golan
            Szymanowski: Mythes... One of the great violin&piano masterpieces of the 20th century

Hilary Hahn / Paavo Jarvi / Frankfurt Radio
            Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto Mvt 3

Jean-Guihen / Boulez
            Boulez: Messagesquisse

Comment

• boomslang20117@
              • Sep 2006

Comment

• jackg
                • Oct 2011

^ such an incredibly beautiful composition! thanks for sharing that performance of it, i hadn't seen/heard it before.

Comment

• ienjoybiscuits
                  • Oct 2013

Currently obsessed with Chopin Nocturnes as well as anything from the impressionistic period. Finally learned to play this one for myself

First post, hello everyone

Comment

• Bson
                    • May 2013

"De Profundis" by Sofia Gubaidulina.... the incredible Nancy Laufer on accordion... One of my favorite things on Youtube... For myself, Gubaidulina is life-changing

Part 2

Comment

• kamsky
                      • Jan 2007

Been listening to Prokofiev & Shostakovich. Here's another Jansen vid. She somewhat recently released an album with this and also Prokofiev's op. 80, sonata for piano & violin, which is amongst his most brooding, beautiful compositions.

Comment

• kamsky
                        • Jan 2007

Shostakovich; String Quartet no. 8

Comment

• kamsky
                          • Jan 2007

Just went to see the San Francisco Symphony perform two Violin Romances (Op. 40 & 50, see videos below) by Beethoven and also his 7th Symphony. They also played a piece by Mason Bates, with whom I was unfamiliar. Michael Tilson Thomas conducted.

Would highly recommend attending one of the remaining performances to anyone in the Bay Area (same program through Saturday 11 January). I've never heard the seventh (recorded or live) slowed down to the extent that Thomas did; really created some lovely spaces in the second movement that highlighted its pathos. Also heightened a tension between the oboes and the violins during the third movement in a way I'd never heard before. Lastly, I've never heard an audience applaud a timpanist as enthusiastically as they did the one tonight (rightly so, I think).

Amazing experience; have heard this piece god knows how many times, so rewarding to hear such a new expression of it.

(The violinist's instrument tonight had a brighter, cooler tone than the one played by Perlman in these recordings, though I like these as well.)

Comment

• Penelope_Fashion
                            • Dec 2013

Hello! I am a newbie on this forum, but this thread has truly alerted my attention. I facncied a lot of youtube videos of modern and legendary composers posted previously, so I decided to share my latest passion to The Devil's Violinist movie, starring David Garrett as Niccolò Paganini. One should definitely watch this and listen to soundtracks' list!

Comment

• kamsky
                              • Jan 2007

Just saw Hélène Grimaud perform Brahms' first piano concerto with the San Francisco Symphony last night; though they've very different repertories, she and Denis Matsuev are probably my favorite contemporary pianists. She did an amazing job transitioning from the brusquely angular, anguished phrasing to the more mellifluous, languorously poignant moments of the piece. I think it comes across fairly well in the video below.

They also played Dutilleux's Métaboles, which I'd never really heard closely before, and had never seen performed live. Astounding piece; seems to be concerned with the textural nature of sound, the spatiality that it can create, and how the progression of the piece transforms it (whence the title's piece, as I understood it). Sound, audible substance, treated as an almost tactile matter.

Comment

• Czx
                                • Feb 2011

I'm not a fan of Max Richters take on Four Seasons. It's far from doing justice to the original composition. He does tend to have some promising ideas but all in all it brought down a compositional masterpiece to being a banal neoclassical piece. That adjective is there for a reason, by the way. Always felt like this (the guys I lived it liked it so wanting or not I listened to it) but this year my professor made it all the more clear when he went on an improvised monologue about the greatness of the original. I'm sorry for ranting, I just can't stand neoclassicism for the most part, not to mention the trend for retakes on classic's.

Anyway...
                                You people here interested in modern composition own yourself to be acquianted with Jakob Ullman. Had a few strong listening sessions (mostly Freumde Zeit Addendum) and he is indeed a genius. I would love to have a chance to attend a lecture led by him. I cannot recommend the aforementioned CD enough, it's beautiful and also outstanding as far as compositional practice goes.

Now for something I can actually link to...
                                Loving those compositions lately, such an overlooked genius:

Please do yourself a favor and if you like it do not listen to it on YouTube, Andrews playing is far too beautiful for that.

Also been enjoying Eva lately, her Lullaby's are something beautiful.
                                néant
                                Last.FM paranoia
                                Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                                0 > ∞

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡