X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oncebornyoucanthide
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Try a Lagrein rosè, from Alto-Adige (northern Italy production area)

Light and fruity, matches perfectly with smoked anything

Originally posted by Eternal
    I know this for most people on SZ must be as bad as light beer, but I really have to disagree. Does anyone here enjoy any kind of rosé wine?

I love all kinds of wine, but I´m sorry to say I never ever were able to enjoy a whole bottle of rosé champagne or ordinary champagne, therefore on some occasions rosé wine what I end up with, and it tastes delicious with fish as well.

Wine is pretty expensive in Norway, and being a student I often end up with the Rosaura when coming to rosé wine, and then spend a bit more on my red wine.

Anyone that got any recommendations?

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

I know this for most people on SZ must be as bad as light beer, but I really have to disagree. Does anyone here enjoy any kind of rosé wine?

I love all kinds of wine, but I´m sorry to say I never ever were able to enjoy a whole bottle of rosé champagne or ordinary champagne, therefore on some occasions rosé wine what I end up with, and it tastes delicious with fish as well.

Wine is pretty expensive in Norway, and being a student I often end up with the Rosaura when coming to rosé wine, and then spend a bit more on my red wine.

Anyone that got any recommendations?
      Hey I love rose Eternal, but only in summer of course, and preferably in Provence. Is perfect with grilled sea bass and salad, in those circumstances.

Comment

• jumpoff
        • Jan 2008

Eternal:

Quinta do Perdigão is a really good portuguese rosé. Best rosé I've had at least. Like Johnny I think rosé wine is great for summer (most definitely for Provence), and nothing one should be ashamed for liking.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

I always have at least a few bottles of rosé (is that the right accent over the letter?) in the fridge during the summer. That and Vinho Verde are fantastic in the summer.

With rosé I tend to hunt for drier options, as sweet ones can be very sweet. I enjoy the ones with a bit of, err I suck at wine terms, minerality. Most of my good local wine shops now usually have 10-15 in stock during the summer, fewer during the winter.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• viv1984viv
            • Feb 2008

Yay! Mixed Case!

A case arrived for me today!

Musella Valpolicella Superiore 2005
            Flori Barolo 2005
            Chateau Tour de Bardes Saint Emilion Grand Cru 2000
            Chateau de Belcier Reserve Cotes de Castillon 2001
            Le Beast Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

Ill post some updates when I get round to trying them, Im looking forward to the Barolos...
            Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

So, two of my favorite new wines have been from Beaujolais. One was a moulin-a-vent, the other a Morgon. Is anyone familiar with this region and eager to make some suggestions?
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

Getting hammered and calling your exs is one thing. Getting hammered and calling your personal trainer and tell him how wasted and stupid you are is another. I did it. I don't even remember what I was saying to him. I'm in idiot.

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

lol. Actually google David Goggins. He's more like that. I do plan to run about 150 miles on my next birthday and on the last mile run up the steps in Philadelphia, tap the Rocky statue on the ass while listening to Gonna Fly Now on my ipod. Oh yeah, wine and drinking forum...after that I'm gonna go paint the town Red and have some Johnie Walker.

Comment

• Diego
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by polishmike View Post
                    I got this http://vinturi.com/
                    and it makes a difference on most wines I drink.
                    Yes, the vinturi red aerator does work. My everyday wine at the moment is Luigi Bosca merlot 2006 from Argentina ($35). Just bought a box of Calon Segur which is one of my favs .

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Tomorrow my wine tasting bicycle tour of Burgundy begins. I am so excited.

Comment

• Fenix
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                        Tomorrow my wine tasting bicycle tour of Burgundy begins. I am so excited.
                        That's definitely something to be excited about. You'll have to post some highlights.

I've been gravitating more to new world wines in the last couple of years. Some of the wines Abe Schoener has put out at Scholium and Red Hook are just plain exciting.
                        Originally posted by hausofblaq
                        Grow up.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

I drank many lovely wines over my time in Burgundy.

A few worth trying if you can find them:

Francoise Parent Volnay Fremiets 1er Cru 2005 - a very unusual Volnay. This is a huge wine, nothing like the usual light, elegant volnays. Tannin is still pretty chalky, can probably last quite a while. I'd try and use wine words, but it's got a lovely, floral nose and is fucking delicious.

Christophe Violot-Guillemard Pommard 1er Cru Clos Orgelot 2005 - just holy shit. Big, rich, fruity, amazing. I bought what were, to the best of my ability to tell, the last bottles available in Pommard, but I'm sure there's plenty elsewhere. Not particularly expensive either.

A few worth getting when they come out:

Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin Grand Cru 2009 - seems likely to turn into one of the best red wines I've ever tasted. Apparently 2009 is roundly amazing, and the other 2009s I tasted from the barrel certainly made it seem that way, but this one ... wow.

Domaine Hubert Chavy* Puligny-Montrachet Folliateres** 1er Cru 2009 - best white wine I've tasted. It's more of an old-fashioned white, lots of mineral, not much oak. I just loved it.

* His wines can be under a number of names. Domaine Hubert Chavy-Chouet, Domaine Hubert Chavy, Domaine Hubert & Romaric Chavy ... basically, his son joined the winery proper, and the name is in flux. But, there's just the one Hubert, so any variant will be from him (Alain Chavy and 2 others are relatives with different wineries).

** I'm sure this is misspelled.

Comment

• swami
                            • Jul 2008

Been really enjoying the PETALOS BIERZO from Spain its 100% mencia & delicious! The best spanish wine imho sub $ 25.00

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Thanks for all of those suggestions, I´ll be sure to try all of them out. I agree that Rosé is best during summer.
                              Lopez de Heredia Rosado is a fantastic year round rose. Unusual, certainly, a bit oxidative, a little nutty, but wonderful fruit and acid on a bone-dry body. Try before you pick up a case, but definitely try. Current release of this rosé is 2000. Some of their wines are clear competitors, in my mind, for the best spanish wines.

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                              Yes, the vinturi red aerator does work. My everyday wine at the moment is Luigi Bosca merlot 2006 from Argentina ($35). Just bought a box of Calon Segur which is one of my favs .
                              We did a blind a/b/c recently with no aeration, a vinturi, and decant and wait 1 hour. Decant was the clear winner, but the Venturi was better than the fresh out of the bottle wine by a clear margin. I still prefer just decanting.

Comment

• theseasonofmist
                                • Feb 2011

Having Cape Town as my second home means visiting the many wine estates in the Western Cape is a rather regular affair. My absolute favourite samples from last month's tours have to be:

Nederburg Noble Late Harvest (2007) - fantastic with fresh raspberries and tiny slice of dark chocolate

Klein Constantia Chardonnay (2004) - their new vintages are generally all fantastic, but this was a stand-out season for their grapes.

Back in the UK...I tried Verdicchio Dei Castelli Di Jesi (2010) last week. Quite liked the nutty undertone, and it was reasonably priced too.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎