X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuE
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by PandorasFate View Post
    You will want vintages from at least 10 years ago. Does that help? I could give you more but I don't want to bore you.
    More than enough . So you're of the opinion that older icewine is better?
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• PandorasFate
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SuE View Post
      More than enough . So you're of the opinion that older icewine is better?
      Depending on the region and producer, yes. Mosel you can drink right away while it is young and fresh, especially if you like the honeyed apple nuance. If you are seeking a deeper complexity with spice and sultana, let it lie down and wait. Many of the top quality producers will hold it back and age it prior to release anyway, if you go QmP designation. QmP is far more common for this style, and generally you get what you pay for.

Additionally, if you really love this type of wine, try one called Inniskillin. I'm sure it may sound risky to go with a Canadian wine if you aren't familliar with it, but their Vidal is OUTSTANDING. For us in the states, it's a bit easier to get, and it is excellent with simmered pears or a baked soft cheese with a fig compote. I do a cocktail from the Vidal, with a Cremant de Alsace and a drop or two of Grand Marnier. I call it the Lost Canadian. Cheers!
      “Budget the luxuries first.”
      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

not sure if anyone likes rioja's but I had a very nice one recently.
        Bodegas Lan Rioja Reserva 2007.

would love a recommendation on another spanish white.
        i just had this one which i quite liked for my palate.
        Bodegas Lopez de Heredia Gravonia White Crianza 2002
        i had it with a pesto, sundried tomato and toasted pine nut pasta salad

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Depending on the region and producer, yes. Mosel you can drink right away while it is young and fresh, especially if you like the honeyed apple nuance. If you are seeking a deeper complexity with spice and sultana, let it lie down and wait. Many of the top quality producers will hold it back and age it prior to release anyway, if you go QmP designation. QmP is far more common for this style, and generally you get what you pay for.

Additionally, if you really love this type of wine, try one called Inniskillin. I'm sure it may sound risky to go with a Canadian wine if you aren't familliar with it, but their Vidal is OUTSTANDING. For us in the states, it's a bit easier to get, and it is excellent with simmered pears or a baked soft cheese with a fig compote. I do a cocktail from the Vidal, with a Cremant de Alsace and a drop or two of Grand Marnier. I call it the Lost Canadian. Cheers!
          I went to college in upstate NY and Inniskillin was surprisingly available in pretty much every liquor store. Really great stuff. It was a little scary how quickly one of those thin bottles could disappear in an evening haha.

Been drinking a range of wines from Trader Joes 2 buck chuck cab (even at $2.99 not really worth it... zero depth and oddly sweet) and their sauternes (not bad at all... exclusive bottling from a legit vitner) to some more esoteric Napa/Carneros Valley wines like Adastra winery's offerings.

I know it's a bit "buying because of the label" but I've been looking for a bottle of the Clay Brock (Wild Horse) and Scott Campbell (Saved tattoo) collab red blend. Curious as to how the result of that curious collaboration has been.

I know that it is very broad, but I'm always looking for a nice california cab if anyone has recommendations. Something maybe from the smaller producers as I've had plenty of the Clos Du Val, Stags leap (althought not the SLV), Opus One.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• PandorasFate
            • Apr 2014

Give the Paco Y Lola Albarino a go. Clean opening, citrus, pear, herbs. Interesting astringency that pair it beautifully with a ceviche. As with most Spanish whites, it's not very expensive, but very expressive of the grape. About $20 American. Rias Biaxas region.
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• rider
              eyes of the world
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

I know that it is very broad, but I'm always looking for a nice california cab if anyone has recommendations. Something maybe from the smaller producers as I've had plenty of the Clos Du Val, Stags leap (althought not the SLV), Opus One.
              Check out flora springs

Comment

• rider
                eyes of the world
                • Jun 2009

Give the Paco Y Lola Albarino a go. Clean opening, citrus, pear, herbs. Interesting astringency that pair it beautifully with a ceviche. As with most Spanish whites, it's not very expensive, but very expressive of the grape. About $20 American. Rias Biaxas region.
                Wonderful! Thanks, I will try it.

Comment

• PandorasFate
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by rider View Post
                  Check out flora springs
                  Seconded. Their Meritage blend, called Trilogy, is also excellent. If you're feeling like ballin it out a little bit, I recommend getting on Merus or Shafer Hillside Select. A bit spendy, but well worth it. My somme speciality is Cali cab, so if you ever want an extensive list, please hit me up Chinorlz. Also Constellation is the purveyor for that Saved line of wines, and if you want some i can track it down and ship it to you. I may be able to get it cheaper here in my state because we run through distributors and get wholesale.
                  Last edited by PandorasFate; 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM. Reason: more infoes
                  ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Bodique
                    • Mar 2012

I'm in love with white wine. The last one I really liked was australian Yellow Tail Moscato. It has nice flavour and smooth taste, and it's costs around $12-15.

Eiswein is truly a gift to the palate, like sauternes or maury. As long as you serve it really cold and alongside dishes which are at least as sweet as your quaff you will do well. If there is a sweetness discrepancy, your wine will taste flat. Any Rheinessen is good, but I love a Silvaner grape focus, and Frank Brockien in particular. My longtime favorite is Dr. Loosen from the Mosel. A lavender and pastry cream crepe is gorgeous and easy to make. For Rheingau, Baron Von Zu Knyphausen is choice. Late Harvest Riesling with Botrytis aromatics. You will want vintages from at least 10 years ago. Does that help? I could give you more but I don't want to bore you. Do you like Tokaji? It is also super sweet, but anything with a 4 puttonyos designation is rewarding.
                    It's hungarian, and a delight. Do a sweet cheese and fruit course and you will thank me. Please ask me anything!

Here is videos about Mosel and it's wineries.

«Страдания жизни неразумной приводят к сознанию необходимости разумной жизни.»
                    Лев Николаевич Толстой

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rider View Post
                      Check out flora springs
                      thank you Rider!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Seconded. Their Meritage blend, called Trilogy, is also excellent. If you're feeling like ballin it out a little bit, I recommend getting on Merus or Shafer Hillside Select. A bit spendy, but well worth it. My somme speciality is Cali cab, so if you ever want an extensive list, please hit me up Chinorlz. Also Constellation is the purveyor for that Saved line of wines, and if you want some i can track it down and ship it to you. I may be able to get it cheaper here in my state because we run through distributors and get wholesale.
                        Awesome!

I'm gonna hit you up for your knowledge and list!

Comment

• PandorasFate
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bodique View Post
                          I'm in love with white wine. The last one I really liked was australian Yellow Tail Moscato. It has nice flavour and smooth taste, and it's costs around $12-15.

Since you like that white, may I also recommend the following: Chenin Blanc from Vouvray- (Monmousseau is one I adore)Sweet, light, smooth, aromatic. Gewurztraminer from Alsace (cuvee Anne Laurent is my personal fave, and Trimbach as well)- sweet-ish, spicy and aromatic. Lastly, Vinho Verde from Spain (i've never had a bad one), which is off dry, light, crisp and slightly sparkling. If you want more labels of these varieties or pairings I'd be happy to help. All of these should be inexpensive, depending on where you are. I bought a bottle of vinho verde in Barcelona for 4EU that blew me away. I advise being careful with American produced Moscato, much of it is god awful vat produced wines with high fructose corn syrup "dosage." While it may be sweet and easy, it is highly caloric and leaves you with screaming migranes from all the sulfites.
                          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

best barcode ever
                            sain't

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

^ hilarious!

Glad this thread is getting a little bump... curious about any other oenophiles on here.

Been doing a lot of "research" as of late with a predominant focus on French wines and more specifically biodynamic ones.

That being said, probably the best bottle I've had in the last couple of months has been a 2009 Els Jelipins (http://www.vinnatur.se/bonde/els-jelipins/) that was transcendental. You have never tasted or smelled a wine as floral, fragrant and crisp as this one. 1500-2000 BOTTLES produced a year yet price per bottle is around $80. New Yorkers can find it at Chambers Street Wines, Despana Fine Wines and Slope Cellars.

Beautiful bottle as well with no front label, just a tiny little symbol on black glass.

Comment

• PandorasFate
                                • Apr 2014

I'm back on the board and living in the District now, if you need me to give you some more wines to try. DC has much better wine purveyors for me to get allocated or imports through.
                                ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎