• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Czx View Post
    Can anyone recommend me something in the vein of Samurai Champloo, Totoro etc.? That is something rather lighthearted, placed in a fantastical or a historical (older times preffered) environement (or the mixture of the two) that takes from the history of Japan and it's mythology?
    I really like some lighter anime I could watch nowadays. I already went through Kenshin. Maybe I should reconsider Naruto?
    I won't mind full feature movies as well. And (this is very important to me) with the style kept in similiar style to those mentioned, I can't bear the ultra-real or ultra-fantastical styles, I'm really for the one that keeps to the comic tradition.
    Naruto is neat in that a lot of the characters reference old folklore characters.

Even though it's not comedy, Mushishi is pretty light-hearted.

Inuyasha might be up your alley? But could be too fantastical.

Taro the Dragon Boy. Very traditional folklore. Oni, tengu, etc.

House of Five Leaves.

Sword of the Stranger.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Czx
      • Feb 2011

Thanks!
      I will propably pick up Naruto along the way but I prefer to put it off until summer comes. Can't be bothered to get into any kind of long series while the university needs my attention.

I've been meaning to check Inuyasha for a good few years but I can't get around to it for some reason. Will definitely check House of Five Leaves and Mushishi, those stand out to me from your recommendations. The latter even more so as the story seems to be of my kind. Taro looks interesting but I have always been put off by children protagonists.
      néant
      Last.FM paranoia
      Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
      0 > ∞

Comment

• MrBushido
        • Dec 2013

A few that i didn't see in this thread that are worth mentioning imo.

12 Kingdoms. Too bad they did not finish it but you can read the novels for the rest of the story.

Samurai 7
        Samurai Deeper Kyo
        Black Blood Brothers
        Gankutsuou. i like the animation style more than anything else...
        Gantz
        Hakaba Hitarou
        Hakuouki
        Jigoku Shoujo
        Nabari no Ou
        Nurarihyon no Mago
        Fairy Tail
        Hikaru no go

One Piece is probably the most entertaining one ever. I have been following it for over 10 years and i will probably for a long time when it ends, Hopefully that day will never come.

Comment

• ulrich133
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Czx View Post
          Thanks!
          I will propably pick up Naruto along the way but I prefer to put it off until summer comes. Can't be bothered to get into any kind of long series while the university needs my attention.
          Its only a short movie, but since you said you were after reasonably light hearted fantastical stuff, you might like Kakurenbo, or for proper movies and older anime, maybe some of the Lupin the third movies? Castle of Cagliostro in particular still ranks as one of my top 10

Comment

• Czx
            • Feb 2011

Thanks MrBushido. Will definitely get around to checking those out. I meant to try some One Piece for a long time but I'm unsure if I can involved in series that long currently ;)
            All the shorties you mentioned look like they could be really into my alley, Kukurenbo particulary. Thanks, ulrich.
            néant
            Last.FM paranoia
            0 > ∞

Comment

• Resonkuken
              • Oct 2012

Watching "Kill la Kill". I felt a slight connection with FLCL, at least from the animation, the way they fight and people hit and thrown around like it´s saint seiya. Pretty cool.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Watch out with Gantz. Like Berserk the series ends abruptly because the manga is still ongoing so you'll have to pick up the manga in order to continue. (Both are ridiculously fantastic manga though and should be read anyway.)
                Other manga of that style I recommend are Vinland Saga, and Dorohedoro in case anyone was interested.

Comment

• Crowzer
                  • Feb 2011

Gantz manga is finished months ago. I like it at beginning but it's became kind of weird at the end (I don't want to spoil).

I started to watch Nisemonogatari after Bakemonogatari. I like it but there are something boring. They talk all the time.

Comment

• Czx
                    • Feb 2011

@Ahimsa - haha, yeah. I remeber really being wild about Berserker somewhere in my eaaarly youth when there was a game made about it, for PS1 I think. To see that it's still going on is kind of funny, in the positive way. Brings me back.
                    néant
                    Last.FM paranoia
                    0 > ∞

Comment

• MrBushido
                      • Dec 2013

A couple more of the martial arts type.

Mutsu Enmei Ryuu Gaiden: Shura no Toki

Katanagatari, this one has really nice animation style

Comment

• kuugaia
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
                        Gantz manga is finished months ago. I like it at beginning but it's became kind of weird at the end (I don't want to spoil).
                        ^ I think that's how I feel about 90% of the manga/anime out there.

The last of the evangelion rebuild cannot come any sooner.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

Crowzer, ah, see I only read the DarkHorse translations of Gantz because I just can't stand most online translations so I'm usually a bit behind.

Czx, you should definitely check out new Berserk if not just for the artwork. It's one of, if not the best, illustrated manga now. His work has just been getting better and better.

kuugaia, one of the main issues that I have with a lot of the anime is that they will finish before the manga ends so the ending will be completely different and is usually worse off. I also believe some manga end poorly because if they gain early recognition and popularity they're basically forced into faster production and thus everything, i.e. the storyline, is rushed.

Comment

• eleves
                            • Sep 2012

Attack On Titan is what got me back into anime! Come to think of it, I don't know why I stopped watching any of it in the first place. There are so many that I want to watch now and only now have I realized how much of a newbie I am to the anime world. I've always been a fan of some old school staples: DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha. I'm definitely going to check out a bunch that have been mentioned in some previous posts. I just finished watching Fairy Tail and am working on finishing Full Metal Alchemist and Soul Eater. I think I'm gonna do Samurai Champloo next. And yes, I have primarily been watching what was available on Netflix after AOT ended.
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

/\ regular FMA or FMA Brotherhood? I prefer the latter as it's more true to the manga, but both are quite good in their own rights.

I didn't care for Soul Eater as the ending just didn't do it for me, it's one of those that once it caught up to the manga, they took it in a completely different direction, much like regular FMA.

Comment

• eleves
                                • Sep 2012

@Ahimsa I started watching regular FMA until someone told me that FMA Brotherhood was the one that I should be watching (I had originally thought Brotherhood was a follow up to FMA) Does the story change a lot between the two of them? I never read the manga for either FMA or Soul Eater but I usually hate when adaptations deviate from the original plot.
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎